Quantcast

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Easy way to convert a WAV into MOD?

Genesis Easy way to convert a WAV into MOD?

Is there a method to convert a WAV file into a MOD file, or something similar? I want to try to get something into a playable rom for Genesis. I've downloaded the mod files in the past, and have used them on the Everdrive, I think ChillyWilly made them. Really would prefer a straight conversion, without have to fiddle with the music in a "code" setting. I've downloaded the old TRM/VGM tools, and Delek, but none have an import function for anything but MOD's.

Sounds like something that can only be done manually. An automatic conversion would give laughable results at best.
    Bare Knuckle III rules! Also, the music in this game is freakin awesome.

Shake well before use Master of Shinobi Robotwo's Avatar

There's some WAV to MIDI converters out there,
    but they usually require the instruments isolated into separate wav files or the outcome will be very noisy.

Then with some luck if you get a good result you could import the MIDI into a MOD tracker and allign them better, make some decent instruments etc.

Why not just play WAV directly on genny ? It would eat a bit of rom but at least it will work... trying to convert a WAV to MOD is not something actually possible

Quote Originally Posted by Stef View Post
    Why not just play WAV directly on genny ? It would eat a bit of rom but at least it will work... trying to convert a WAV to MOD is not something actually possible
    I would. How is that done? *I don't have a SegaCD*

Extreme Procrastinator Master of Shinobi Flygon's Avatar

What about having the entire WAV be a sample inside the MOD that's played back as a single note?

I think there's an FM synthesizer VSTi out there based on the Genesis/MD that can save to vgm format, not sure if that helps though.

Quote Originally Posted by graffias79 View Post
    I think there's an FM synthesizer VSTi out there based on the Genesis/MD that can save to vgm format, not sure if that helps though.
    There are many tools that will, but it's the starting point that's the problem. I am musically illiterate, so I don't want to compose the music from scratch! He he.

This guy seems to have created the entire application, but I'm not paying for it.

http://www.alyjameslab.com/alyjameslabfmdrive.html

I sent a message to the person who created the songs to ask if he had the raw (possibly mod) files, though I doubt it. He probably just used a VST plug in and saved it as a wav or mp3.

The Cat in the Hat Shining Hero NeoVamp's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Greg2600 View Post
    I would. How is that done? *I don't have a SegaCD*
    I remember making a rom file of a wav once, I found someone's basiegaxorz demo (with source) that ran a wav file, And after
    some tinkering with the source I managed to replace the original wav with one of my one and compile it. (I'm no programmer btw)

That was a while ago though, so you might wanna check out the basiegaxorz forums.

Using BasiEgaXorz or SGDK you can quickly create a ROM for genny which play your wav file.

I did a 32X demo of playing Ogg-Vorbis in real-time, but even low bitrate ogg files will be much bigger than a MOD/XM file. The advantage ogg files have is being able to play any kind of sounds. You aren't limited to a small set of instruments.

Using BasiEgaXorz or SGDK you can quickly create a ROM for genny which play your wav file.
    Considering I know zilch about how to program a Genesis rom I would have to disagree on "quickly." Not saying I couldn't learn, but I have no time or motivation or interest to.

Quote Originally Posted by Chilly Willy View Post
    I did a 32X demo of playing Ogg-Vorbis in real-time, but even low bitrate ogg files will be much bigger than a MOD/XM file. The advantage ogg files have is being able to play any kind of sounds. You aren't limited to a small set of instruments.
    The reason I mentioned MOD is because Krikzz had already created a MOD-player for the everdrive.

The reason I mentioned MOD is because Krikzz had already created a MOD-player for the everdrive.
    Err - I remember the WAV player for the MED, but I don't remember a MOD player for the ED. There was a TFC player for the ED, but TFC isn't MOD.

Considering I know zilch about how to program a Genesis rom I would have to disagree on "quickly." Not saying I couldn't learn, but I have no time or motivation or interest to.
    I said that because it actually need a single line of code (and i am not exaggerating) to get it to play but for that you still need to download the tools and compile your line code. But i would ask you something else then, what do you want to do exactly ? just play the music on a black screen ?

The Mega Everdrive used to be able to play WAV files through the Geneis/MD sound chip but it doesn't any more. It plays them through the onboard DAC which itself is extraordinarily limited. It sounds nowhere near as good as the one in the SD2SNES. If you want to play WAVs through your Genesis you have to put a really old OS on your Mega Everdrive.

Thread Information