Quantcast

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: The game that made you buy a console

Wildside Expert

Genesis: No one real title, but the launch lineup looked pretty impressive and Altered Beast did blow me away when I saw it running in attract mode at Toys R Us.

Sega CD: Lunar.

Saturn: Lunar remakes and Grandia, neither of which came out in the States on the Saturn. Still, Virtua Fighter 2 was damned good too.

PS1: No real individual title -- it just seemed to be the way things were going.

Dreamcast: Soul Calibur

PS2: Same as PS1

PS3: I just wanted a BluRay player for my new HDTV and the PS3 was the cheapest one at the time. Plus it could play games!

Gamecube: Nintendo exclusives, like Zelda. Plus in some ways it seemed like the heir to the Dreamcast since Sega ported so many Dreamcast games to it.

Wii: My wife actually wanted it, not me. She liked Wii sports. :P

"back in the day"

NES: Super Mario Bros
    GEN: Sonic 1
    PSX: Megaman 8
    DC: Sonic Adventure
    Xbox: DOA 3
    Xbox 360: Sonic 2006 (I know, bleajh)
    WiiU: Super Mario 3D World

Retro "collecting" (I don't collect, I play)

PCE DuoR: Bonk 1
    Saturn: Sonic Jam
    SNES: Rockman 7
    SMS: Sonic Chaos
    PS2: Okami (damn that game is good)
    Sega CD: Sonic CD

The Cat in the Hat Shining Hero NeoVamp's Avatar

Mega Drive : Sonic 1, only Sonic game out at that moment and compared to the C64/ST platformers this seemed so fast and smooth.

PSX : Bought it for the RPG's, my friends had a Snes when I had a Mega Drive and they had all these amazing rpg's, so when the PSX
    came around it seemed to be destined to be the big RPG console, so I got this instead of the Saturn, a decision I never regretted
    since the PSX got like.. a shitload of every genre, be it rpg's or fighting or racing or whatnot!

Dreamcast : Ecco, I was a huge Ecco fan back in the MD days so I got a DC for Ecco. Sadly it wasn't very fun. but I didn't mind,
    I have a lot of great DC games, glad I didn't miss out on this one.

N64 : Mario 64, had to have that sweet 3D Mario!

PS2 : GTA3 and Smackdown Just Bring it!, I was a big fan of the 2 Smackdown games on the PSX so a PS2 was pretty much a necessity!
    sadly the game looked horrible, like they had slapped the wrong graphics filter on or something.. everything looked all oily.
    GTA3 on the other hand got a loooooooot of gametime from me, also the PS2 doubling as a DVD player was also a major selling point.

Gamecube : Metroid Prime, and damn it was sweet! and Luigi's Mansion rocked too, but Mario Sunshine just seemed confusing.
    (Celda The Wind Walker was great though)

Xbox : Media Player and emulators, only reason I got it. and damn if I didn't get my money's worth! my xbox is still hooked up
    in my bedroom for late night dvdrip watching. as for the games.. well I got a nice collection of games for it but to me the xbox
    always felt a bit lacking in the games department. It just didn't have that feel that I do feel with the Mega Drive or Snes.

Wii : eh.. I don't remember, just the hype of the Wii being so amazing or something.. but looking back 99% of the games had
    the "wiggle to not die" attached just for the sake of being a motion controlled game, which to me really ruined quite a bit of games
    that would have otherwise been great. Still, me and my dad played a lot of Golf on Wii Sports, and he was really happy when I got
    him Wii Sports Resort for the extra golf tracks. and this to me makes it worth every penny i put in this thing.

Nintendo DS : Dunno, I think I got it because I felt very empty in my life.. and the DS just seemed so fresh, Mario64DS was fun for
    5 minutes but got really old after that, but I feel I really got my money's worth with the Phoenix Wright games, which I devoured!!
    I enjoyed my DS so much that I later got the wine red XL version, which I really like.

PSP : No idea why I got this, probably just to distract me from deaths in my family.. I wanted to like Street Fighter Alpha 3 Max
    but the PSP joypad is a piece of bloody disgusting pigshit bullshit. it's impossible to throw hadokens with it. I had it modded for a while
    because people were raving about the emulators, but really the Xbox did it a billion times better. after a couple years I eventually
    updated it to regular firmware because the CFW I had on there was apparently impossible to upgrade to a newer one,
    so I got pissed off and installed a legal FW, but then like 3 years later I succumbed to boredom and got me one of those magic battery
    thingies and installed the latest best CFW on there, now I have a 32gb xd card in there filled with iso's.

PS3 : Street Fighter IV and Fallout 3 and Oblivion. great games, as for the Bluray player.. meh by the time the PS3 came out
    I already had like 4 media players right next to every tv in the house, all hooked up to a central NAS system with 4tb HD's filled
    to the brim with everything I ever wanted.

And that's about the order in which I bought my consoles, I didn't put consoles in there that I bought later on 2nd hand because
    I don't have any cool stories about them, I never bought a NES new because I didn't have the money, and the same with the Snes
    because I had invested in a Mega Drive, etc etc.

Wildside Expert

All the sega consoles except for the master system have been bought solely for having the SEGA brand. I'll have to name the systemsellers instead for those

Master system - Alex kidd
    Genesis- Sonic the hedgehog
    Dreamcast - Sonic adventure

Non SEGA:
    XBOX - shenmue + panzer dragoon orta
    Gamecube - Super monkey ball and metroid prime (metroid prime.. man)
    Ps2 - Yakuza 1&2

Wii - Sonic and the secret rings, stayed for the galaxies.
    Xbox 360 - Assassin's creed
    Ps3 - Yakuza 3&4

WII U - Monster hunter 3 ultimate

Raging in the Streets goldenband's Avatar

I don't think I ever bought a console BITD for a particular game. The consoles I had were mainly birthday or Christmas presents, so I pretty much got what I was given, and I wasn't really the type of kid to ask for things since my family was mostly broke.

Later on, I almost bought a (second) SNES late in the '90s with my girlfriend at the time to play Mario Kart, but we didn't end up going through with it.

Since I got back into real hardware, I can think of a few:

GameCube - Super Monkey Ball 2 (to play with my fiancée)
    Dreamcast - Tennis 2K2 (she bought me a DC partly because she knew I was interested in VT/T2K2; ironically enough I hated both games)
    Odyssey^2 - Loony Balloon
    Intellivision - Utopia and Tower of Doom (kinda 50/50)

If I'd had the cash, I definitely would've bought a Genesis and Sega CD in the early 1990s to be able to play Heart of the Alien, since I absolutely loved Out of This World on the SNES. That (reason) would've been a mistake, though.

HNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNG Raging in the Streets Moirai's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kikenovic View Post
    Saturn: Sonic Jam
    Umm, so the just the few extras on the disc, including the 3D world/minigame, are what makes the saturn worth owning?

I feel insulted.

Quote Originally Posted by Kamahl View Post
    If they were up for that they should just release a PC port of the game on GoG, I'd buy it. I'd rather not "buy" it on steam or anywhere else with DRM.
    Same here, but it would have been way cool to play it in 3d. 2d platformers in stereoscopic 3d look amazing IMHO. That was part of their 3DS plan.

VA1LT CHIP ENABLED Master of Shinobi OverDrone's Avatar

Master System: Rastan Saga, Golden Axe (being a big fan of the arcade versions)

MD/Genesis: All the ports of the time - Strider, Forgotten Worlds, Hellfire, Golden Axe etc.

Mega CD: Umm... Got it before anything really good came out, was awed by CDDA audio and the promise of FMV cut scenes.

SNES: Axelay, Super Castlevania IV

Neo Geo: Art of Fighting, Fatal Fury 2

Saturn: X-Men Children of the Atom, VF2

PSX:
    Mortal Kombat 3

DC: Soul Calibur and Marvel vs Capcom

PS2: VF4, Tekken 4

PS3: Street Fighter 4

Japanese 360: You basically had to own one to play all the shmups, only a small percentage of which have been ported to PS3 so far.

It's that time again! Road Rasher HalfBit's Avatar

Haha...I never buy a console because of one game.
    It's either a bunch of good ones in general or I don't have a say.

Although, xbox one is calling to me with titanfall.

Ninetailed Noob Raging in the Streets KitsuneNight's Avatar

^ titanfall is repulsing me

its an online only game that alone means it has a very limited shelf life
    because sooner or later the servers are going down and that will leave you with a very expensive very purdy coaster because there isnt even a damn single player offline mode

but even worse its an EA game
    and EA tends to have an itchy kill switch finger when it comes to servers
    Kitsune in a hat

Level 6 Rocket Knight Raging in the Streets jerry coeurl's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AlecRob View Post
    Umm, so the just the few extras on the disc, including the 3D world/minigame, are what makes the saturn worth owning?

I feel insulted.
    Why would you feel insulted? He said that's the game he picked up the system for, not that it was the only game on the system worth playing.

I bought a Saturn for NiGHTS and a Sega CD for Sonic CD. There were other games I wanted to play on them too, of course, but they were the system sellers, for lack of a better term. Second-hand, though. My brother and I did get a Nintendo 64 and Super Mario 64 for Christmas in '96, and although I didn't actually pay for that I should think it counts.

Quote Originally Posted by soviet View Post
    If Sega making condoms,I will to one-night-stands in every night~

The only one I can think of is I bought a PS3 so I could play Katamari Forever.
    Sega Genesis Master Set Collector
    https://vgcollect.com/Tripredacus/gen

feel the shell shock! WCPO Agent negative chill's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 5233 View Post
    -3DO: Gex
    Still the best version. I remembered Gex as the unofficial 3DO 'mascot' from way back.
    What amazes the absolute piss out of me is how many people only remember Enter The Gecko and how no one remembers the original 2D, Pre-Rendered Platformer that spawned the franchise

“The Internet is the first thing that humanity has built that humanity doesn’t understand, the largest experiment in anarchy that we have ever had.”—Eric Schmidt

My brother already had a Mega Drive and a Master System, so saved up and bought a SNES, just so I could play Street Fighter 2 Turbo.
    Keep up to date with The Opus Science Collective:

OSC Online
    OSC Facebook
    OSC Twitter
    OSC Google+
    OSC SoundCloud
    OSC YouTube

I remain nonsequitur Shining Hero sheath's Avatar

I like threads like these, sometimes they help me remember why in the hell I care about games. I usually can't say what my "favorite" games are, but I can remember when I bought a console for a specific game or games and what kept me coming back for more. So I'll list only games that I have owned, or played extensively and still enjoy and would collect today, after buying the console.

During their lifespan:

Master System:
    After Burner
    What made me stay for 2 years and come back after Y2K: R-Type, Golvellius, Zillion, Shinobi, Space Harrier, Quartet, Enduro Racer, Safari Hunt, Marksman Shooting & Trap Shooting.

NES: Zelda II Adventures of Link
    What made me come back after Y2K: TMNT 1 + The Arcade Game, Ninja Gaiden, Batman, Life Force, Simon's Quest, Section Z, Cobra Triangle.

Genesis: Revenge of Shinobi / Golden Axe
    What made me stay: Forgotten Worlds, Whip Rush, Strider, Ghouls N Ghosts, MUSHA, Shadow Dancer, Super Monaco GP, Target Earth, Batman, Golden Axe II, Streets of Rage, ToeJam & Earl, Streets of Rage 2, Phantasy Star III, Shining in the Darkness, Sonic the Hedgehog 2, Shinobi III, WeaponLord.

TurboGrafx-16: Bonk's Adventure / Legendary Axe
    What made me stay for 2 years: Ninja Spirit, Military Madness, Bomberman, R-Type.

Sega CD: Hype / Batman Returns
    What made me stay: Final Fight CD, Amazing Spiderman, Sonic CD, Black Hole Assault, Dark Wizard, Lunar Silver Star, Lunar 2 Eternal Blue, Mansion of Hidden Souls, Racing Aces, Rise of the Dragon, Shining Force CD, Soul Feace, Star Wars Rebel Assault, Soul Star, Terminator, Wing Commander.

Genesis 32X: Virtua Racing / Doom / After Burner Complete / Space Harrier
    What made me stay: Shadow Squadron, Virtua Fighter, Mortal Kombat II, Tempo, Cosmic Carnage, Motocross Championship, Metal Head, T-Mek.

Saturn: Virtua Fighter 2 / Sega Rally
    What made me stay: Virtual On, Shining the Holy Arc, Tomb Raider, Street Fighter Alpha 2, X-Men CotA, Cyber Speedway, Dragon Force, Elevator Action Returns, Fighters' Megamix, Guardian Heroes, Mystaria, Panzer Dragoon Zwei, Panzer Dragoon Saga, Shining Force III, Schining Force III Scenario 2, Sonic R, Thunder Force V, Virtua Cop, Wing Arms.

PS1: Hype / Warhawk / Twisted Metal 2
    What made me stay for 2 years and come back after Y2K: Tenchu.

Dreamcast: Sonic Adventure / Powerstone
    What made me stay: Tokyo Xtreme Racer, Virtua Fighter 3, Armada, Worms Armageddon, Airforce Delta, Hydro Thunder, Marvel vs Capcom, Psychic Force 2012, Sega Rally 2, Toy Commander, Crazy Taxi, Dead or Alive 2, Draconus Cult of the Wyrm, F355 Challenge, Grandia II, Hidden & Dangerous, MDK2, San Francisco Rush 2049, Sega GT, Shenmue, Skies of Arcadia, Soul Reaver, Sword of the Berzerk, Virtual On Oratario Tangram, Zombie Revenge, Crazy Taxi 2, Daytona USA, Phantasy Star Online, Worms World Party, Sonic Adventure 2, Shenmue 2.

PS2: Hype / Soul Reaver 2
    What made me stay: Virtua Fighter 4, Virtua Fighter 4 Evo, Shinobi, Transformers, Blood Will Tell.

Xbox: Panzer Dragoon Orta
    What made me stay: Halo 1 & 2, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Spikeout Battle Street, Outrun 2 & 2006, Gunvalkyrie, Legacy of Kain Blood Omen 2, Legacy of Kain Defiance, Ninja Gaiden Black, Otogi 1&2, Toejam & Earl 3.

Gamecube: Eternal Darkness
    What made me stay: Gameboy Advance Adapter w/ Metroid Zero Mission, Double Dragon Advance, also: F-Zero GX, Legend of Zelda Collectors' Edition, Luigi's Mansion, Metroid Prime, Star Wars Rogue Leader.

Xbox 360: Xbox Live Arcade / Gears of War / Afterburner Climax
    What made me stay: XBLA: N+, Virtual On Oratario Tangram, X-Men Arcade, Daytona USA, Worms Armageddon, Bulletwitch, Forza 3, Batman Arkham Asylum, Golden Axe Beast Rider, Iron Man, Virtua Fighter 5, Sega Rally Revo, Batman Arkham City, Batman Arkham Origins.

After their lifespan, after Y2K:

PC-Engine DUO: Valis III/ Dracula X Chi no Rondo
    What made me stay: Populous, Street Fighter II, Shinobi, Strider ACD, Art of Fighting ACD.

SNES: Super Mario Kart / Starfox
    What made me stay: Super Double Dragon, UN Squadron, Actraiser, Demon's Crest, Final Fantasy II, Populous, Cybernator, Pilotwings, Sim City, Sunset Riders, WeaponLord.

3DO: Starfighter
    What made me stay: Wing Commander III, Road Rash, Need for Speed, Samurai Shodown, StarBlade, Star Wars Rebel Assault, Star Control II.

Jaguar: Hype / Doom
    What made me stay: Dunno...

N64: Mario Kart 64
    What made me stay: Nothing, but I tried Golden Eye, F-Zero X, Perfect Dark, Mario 64, Zelda 64, Zelda Majora's Mask, Castlevania Legacy of Darkness, Conker's Bad Fur Day, Blast Corps, all of the San Francisco games, and others I can't think of right now before trading it for some games or something. I have an N64 hooked up today with an Everdrive 64 in it and a complete World Driver Championship that I haven't played yet.
    Last edited by sheath; 03-13-2014 at 08:00 PM.
    "... If Sony reduced the price of the Playstation, Sega would have to follow suit in order to stay competitive, but Saturn's high manufacturing cost would then translate into huge losses for the company." p170 Revolutionaries at Sony.

"We ... put Sega out of the hardware business ..." Peter Dille senior vice president of marketing at Sony Computer Entertainment

Thread Information