Quantcast

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Is there a SNES Forum equivalent to SEGA-16?

Raging in the Streets xelement5x's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Guntz View Post
    Was there a Saturn version of Sega-16? Maybe alecrob would know.
    I'll also say that Satakore (http://www.satakore.com/) has an insane amount of information on the Saturn database, but I've never really visited the forums much.
    Quote Originally Posted by StarMist View Post
    A spine card is the hymen of a new game assuring its first owner that he is truly her one and only, and of a used game assuring its new owner that whilst she has been played with in the past that play has never been too careless or thorough.

There can be only one. WCPO Agent synbiosfan's Avatar

It's pretty slow sadly. I like it but there's not many posters.
    Diabetes sucks!

It's a shame nobody has actually tried to make a Sega-16 clone for the SNES.

SNES Hub
    was inspired by Sega 16, from its forum structure to dedication to in-depth reviews. And SNES Hub is certainly much closer to being a Super Nintendo equivalent to Sega-16 than SNES Central. The only thing is it needs to find its audience.

ToeJam is a wiener Hero of Algol Guntz's Avatar

The site isn't loading for me. Last time I did see it though, I thought the banner and other artwork needed some improvement. For one, use SNES era artwork. Anything else has a tacky inconsistency. Also, stuff wasn't cropped properly. Check out the site design of www.micro-64.com for reference.

I wish I could see it now though, I'd like to see if it's had improvement. I'd also like to see the available articles.

You're probably referring to the original design. Most of the artwork was from the SNES era. Only if I couldn't find SNES artwork, I resorted to other eras. Tacky inconsistency may be your opinion, but many people liked the original look. It was even featured in a design blog for its good aesthetics.

But I have moved on to a another design after 2 years because I wanted something different.

Thank you for your constructive criticism.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Masamune View Post
    It doesn't have as busy a forum as this one, but check out SNES Hub. There's a small but tight-knit group there.
    In terms of forums, Masamune's SNES HUB is the closest thing to Sega-16. They just turned 2 years old, and have improved a lot from day one, as does everyone who gets into this wacky website business. The early days are always the roughest for any webmaster... and then you start to hit a groove/stride as time passes until your site forms its own unique identity and soul, so to speak. Activity there on the SNES Hub forums is a work in progress, but they recently had a quarter page ad put in RETRO Magazine issue #2 which helped increase awareness.

Other than SNES Hub, there's also Evan's SNES Central. It's more of a tech spec nuts and bolts SNES site, however. But there is a forum there and it used to be a lot more active years ago. Evan has written some really strong articles over the years. I always thought SNES Central had the potential to be a Sega-16 version of SNES back in the mid 2000s, but it never got the kind of community effort required to create and sustain such a beast.

Sega-16 is a really amazing site as it has such a long and rich history, a thriving community and it was/is just lightning in a bottle. SNES Hub is still in its infancy, but I've seen more and more contributors/core members step up to the plate. I believe it has the potential to be the *true* SNES equivalent of Sega-16 one day down the road.

It's a shame nobody has actually tried to make a Sega-16 clone for the SNES, or any other Nintendo system. There's Micro-64 for N64 but that's more of a niche system, not like the SNES. I know of www.rvgfanatic.com but it's not as polished and professional as Sega-16. I think it's also run by one person. Was there a Saturn version of Sega-16? Maybe alecrob would know.
    Yes, RVGFanatic is ran by one person, and that one person would be... me Been working on my one man pet project for the past seven-plus years now. My main focus is to commemorate the SNES by reviewing as many SNES games as I can. In addition, I also have a small Sega Saturn section as that is my 2nd favorite system of all time. I am currently at 75 American SNES reviews, and have also written over 80 "obscure" Super Famicom imports. It's been a blast, and part of me can't believe it's almost been 8 years. RVG Fanatic is not as well known as the Sega 16s and HG101s of the world, but I'm proud of my efforts. I've received some really strong and positive feedback for it (which you can read in the Guestbook) the past 7 years, so it tells me I must have done something right along the way, and that my SNES stories have resonated with the retro gaming community.

In some ways, I'm still shocked there aren't more SNES-based/dedicated websites out there... but I know how hard it is to start and then maintain a high quality website. It's not for everyone. And I think, between mine, Masamune's SNES Hub, Evan's SNES Central and also Ikermel's VideoGameDen, there's enough SNES material for fans to sample and enjoy perusing. welcome others to get involved, whether you contribute to Masamune's, Evan's, or create your very own SNES-based site.

On a side note, I'm still waiting for a definitive Sega Saturn website. Sega-Saturn.com was my go to site back in 2001, but it's long been abandoned (although the owner was awesome enough to keep the URL up and running... it just hasn't been updated in forever now). Would love to see an active Saturn site these days, but I'm not holding my breath.

You're probably referring to the original design. Most of the artwork was from the SNES era. Only if I couldn't find SNES artwork, I resorted to other eras. Tacky inconsistency may be your opinion, but many people liked the original look. It was even featured in a design blog for its good aesthetics.

But I have moved on to a another design after 2 years because I wanted something different.

Thank you for your constructive criticism.
    Don't take me as just some troll, I like to see well designed sites. Would be nice if sneshub would load, must be my ISP. If I could though, I'm sure it's a really great looking site with some killer articles. Micro-64 is nearing 2 years and it's pretty decent for just two guys and a few contributor articles.

Quote Originally Posted by steve View Post
    In terms of forums, Masamune's SNES HUB is the closest thing to Sega-16. They just turned 2 years old, and have improved a lot from day one, as does everyone who gets into this wacky website business. The early days are always the roughest for any webmaster... and then you start to hit a groove/stride as time passes until your site forms its own unique identity and soul, so to speak. Activity there on the SNES Hub forums is a work in progress, but they recently had a quarter page ad put in RETRO Magazine issue #2 which helped increase awareness.
    That must be when I last saw SNESHub, when it was starting out.

Other than SNES Hub, there's also Evan's SNES Central. It's more of a tech spec nuts and bolts SNES site, however. But there is a forum there and it used to be a lot more active years ago. Evan has written some really strong articles over the years. I always thought SNES Central had the potential to be a Sega-16 version of SNES back in the mid 2000s, but it never got the kind of community effort required to create and sustain such a beast.

Sega-16 is a really amazing site as it has such a long and rich history, a thriving community and it was/is just lightning in a bottle. SNES Hub is still in its infancy, but I've seen more and more contributors/core members step up to the plate. I believe it has the potential to be the *true* SNES equivalent of Sega-16 one day down the road.
    I wonder how Sega-16 has been so successful for so long, what's Melf's secret?

Yes, RVGFanatic is ran by one person, and that one person would be... me Been working on my one man pet project for the past seven-plus years now. My main focus is to commemorate the SNES by reviewing as many SNES games as I can. In addition, I also have a small Sega Saturn section as that is my 2nd favorite system of all time. I am currently at 75 American SNES reviews, and have also written over 80 "obscure" Super Famicom imports. It's been a blast, and part of me can't believe it's almost been 8 years. RVG Fanatic is not as well known as the Sega 16s and HG101s of the world, but I'm proud of my efforts. I've received some really strong and positive feedback for it (which you can read in the Guestbook) the past 7 years, so it tells me I must have done something right along the way, and that my SNES stories have resonated with the retro gaming community.
    Yes, I see you lots on other forums and this one, you're not particularly difficult to find, heh. Upon further recollection, RVGFanatic is completely different from Sega-16, not sure why I mentioned it. It's a pretty cool site, the comfortable feel definitely has a lot to do with its popularity over the years. Though I feel there should be more Sega-16 clones out there. I love the professional, clean and tidy site layout and content, it's an amazing resource for Genesis/CD/32X things. I hope one day Micro-64 will be even more useful.

On a side note, I'm still waiting for a definitive Sega Saturn website. Sega-Saturn.com was my go to site back in 2001, but it's long been abandoned (although the owner was awesome enough to keep the URL up and running... it just hasn't been updated in forever now). Would love to see an active Saturn site these days, but I'm not holding my breath.
    Ask AlecRob, he was planning on making a clone of Sega-16 for the Saturn, was even gonna try hosting it himself, but has been a bit hesitant as he hasn't found anyone willing to help write articles. I'm busy with Micro-64 at the moment.

I'm sure Melf would be quite flattered if he read this thread, haha. Sega-16 clones...

The site isn't loading for me.
    What exactly happens when you try to load SNES Hub? Are you sure your using the correct url? www.playingwithsuperpower.com

Also may I ask what browser you're using?

Last time it said the site was taking too long to load. Using Waterfox 16.0.1 on this computer.

Just tried and now it's loading. Very nice site I must say, looks far better than the last time I saw it. You guys certainly have a lot of reviews up already.

Here's a caped Mario you can put on the site banner, it has a transparent background too:

Death Bringer Raging in the Streets Black_Tiger's Avatar

SNES Hub
    was inspired by Sega 16, from its forum structure to dedication to in-depth reviews. And SNES Hub is certainly much closer to being a Super Nintendo equivalent to Sega-16 than SNES Central. The only thing is it needs to find its audience.
    I don't think that the extreme of those reviews would fly on Sega-16.
    Quote Originally Posted by year2kill06
    everyone knows nintendo is far way cooler than sega just face it nintendo has more better games and originals

Quote Originally Posted by Black_Tiger View Post
    I don't think that the extreme of those reviews would fly on Sega-16.
    Does anyone want to donate reviews of some bad games?

Death Bringer Raging in the Streets Black_Tiger's Avatar

Does anyone want to donate reviews of some bad games?
    I was talking about the reviews themselves, but the games chosen, stereotypically good or bad, are a symptom of the underlying problem.

I can break it down here or in a private message if you like.
    Quote Originally Posted by year2kill06
    everyone knows nintendo is far way cooler than sega just face it nintendo has more better games and originals

Last time it said the site was taking too long to load. Using Waterfox 16.0.1 on this computer.

Just tried and now it's loading. Very nice site I must say, looks far better than the last time I saw it. You guys certainly have a lot of reviews up already.

Here's a caped Mario you can put on the site banner, it has a transparent background too:

Thanks Guntz. I may be able to use this for something.

There can be only one. WCPO Agent synbiosfan's Avatar

Why are his nuts dragging?
    Diabetes sucks!

Raging in the Streets SEGA.GENESIS1989's Avatar

I was wondering the same thing. They must be so heavy! Poor Mario is sweating bullets trying to get lift!
    "There's nothing to fear, except fear itself"
    http://i1054.photobucket.com/albums/s486/link2link2link/YUZOKOSHIROISAGODNEOSEEDEDITION.gif

Thread Information