Quantcast

Thread: My Prototype Collection

Master of Shinobi

Genesis My Prototype Collection

Yes, they will be dumped eventually but I need to arrange that with someone who is capable of doing so within the United States.

Being US protos, I'd say they're all really close to the finals. But the most interesting one here is also the best: Rocket Knight Adventures, 1993/6/15 build, had some notable changes for its localization, and is the basis for the PAL release. It has level select activated by default, and to my knowledge there were no translation differences that I could recognize. I wonder if they had completed the American intro sequence by this time, something I'm unable to study because I can't access the data until it's dumped. That sequence is deactivated in this copy.

Most notable are the difficulty settings being different. In this build, you only get Easy (Lives: 3, Credits: 5) and Hard (Lives: 2, Credits: 3). I know the US and Japanese releases have different stage intros, with the japanese one having a musical band and the US one showing Sparkster in different poses. This build uses the latter. Beat the game on Hard difficulty and you'll unlock Very Hard mode (Lives: 1, Credits: 1). I assume Crazy Hard is available as well but never completed Very Hard mode even in the retail release.

Any questions, comments, etc. feel free to ask!
    Last edited by Jeckidy; 05-03-2014 at 03:09 PM.

Raging in the Streets goldenband's Avatar

Cool! Any noticeable differences in Gain Ground (one of my favorite games on the Genesis)?

Quote Originally Posted by goldenband View Post
    Cool! Any noticeable differences in Gain Ground (one of my favorite games on the Genesis)?
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but Gain Ground had already been out for a year or two in Japan and Europe before Renovation brought it over to the U.S, same with Elemental Master. I doubt they tinkered with the game much, if at all.

Master of Shinobi

I don't have a final copy to compare (it would have to be through emulation) but I think Aarzak is right. I believe I did a brief check of this in the past and didn't notice anything. Maybe the region settings are changed, but considering most pre-'93 games played without any lockout, I doubt it. I also think the ROM itself was one of those World/Universal types. Same with Arrow Flash.

Master of Shinobi cheaterdragon1's Avatar

Ah fellow Protos owner! I mostly have N64 Protos but I do have one Genesis Proto left. I have a picture handy:

It's early in the game. Different title screen, a character immediately at the start who's not there in the final, level colours are different, first level completed a bit differently, and that's all I've looked into. I'm sure there's lots of other cool stuff though, I really have to play it again sometime.

I've previously had Battletech, Death & Return of Superman, and two Zero Tolerance Protos, but those are all sold off.
    Owner of the Nintendo 64 fansite Micro-64.
    Join us in our Facebook Group.

Raging in the Streets SEGA.GENESIS1989's Avatar

Genesis

5233, have you ever opened up the cartridges and examined it's inards? For curiosity sake I always get a kick when someone posts a video or photographs of these review/prototype SEGA Genesis cartridges.
    "There's nothing to fear, except fear itself"
    http://i1054.photobucket.com/albums/s486/link2link2link/YUZOKOSHIROISAGODNEOSEEDEDITION.gif

Thread Information