Quantcast

Thread: Sega Genesis Source Code

Sports Talker

Genesis Sega Genesis Source Code

I found a developer page who released source code for three Genesis games here, http://shrigley.com/source_code_archive/

Some interesting things could be done with them. From learning, to modifications, full game hack and even a Sega CD port like what was done to Sonic 1, as seen here.

Master of Shinobi

Quote Originally Posted by kevro View Post
    I found a developer page who released source code for three Genesis games here, http://shrigley.com/source_code_archive/

Some interesting things could be done with them. From learning, to modifications, full game hack and even a Sega CD port like what was done to Sonic 1, as seen here.
    Very interesting! I'm intrigued that he's the same guy who did Gargoyles for Genesis. I will probably ask him as to why the game doesn't run on the model 3 Genesis and whether they were aware of that when it was being produced.

The Cat in the Hat Shining Hero NeoVamp's Avatar

After all those years.. the chance for us to make the greatest sequel ever!

Cliff Hanger II

Master of Shinobi cheaterdragon1's Avatar

This is old, but in case anyone missed it there's a shitload of source code here for Genesis, Game Gear and others.

http://www.assemblergames.com/forums...for-many-games
    Owner of the Nintendo 64 fansite Micro-64.
    Join us in our Facebook Group.

Quote Originally Posted by 5233 View Post
    Very interesting! I'm intrigued that he's the same guy who did Gargoyles for Genesis. I will probably ask him as to why the game doesn't run on the model 3 Genesis and whether they were aware of that when it was being produced.
    Gargoyles do not work on the model 3 because it uses the very special TAS 68000 instruction which requires bus lock support. Model 1 and 2 does not support it while the model 3 does and so this instruction does not return the same value. I don't know why Gargoyles uses this instruction, probably a mistake from the programmer i don't know (or a very weird optimization)...

Quote Originally Posted by Stef View Post
    Gargoyles do not work on the model 3 because it uses the very special TAS 68000 instruction which requires bus lock support. Model 1 and 2 does not support it while the model 3 does and so this instruction does not return the same value. I don't know why Gargoyles uses this instruction, probably a mistake from the programmer i don't know (or a very weird optimization)...
    Looking at the code, it seems like the programmer used TAS instead of ST on some failure/success flags. I don't see any instances where the TAS is needed, and could easily be replaced. Example - if the code fails to allocate vram, it does "tas no" and exits. If it gets the vram, it does "tas yes" and exits.

Thread Information