Quantcast

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Very good knock-off or a legit mix up?

Default Very good knock-off or a legit mix up?

Hi everyone,

I was recently sold several "fake" Mega Drive games. Looking at them now, it's very obvious. The carts have poorly made labels, they aren't screwed together, etc. So, I'm a little more cautious now when buying my games.

I'm being offered a few games online. The seller has sent me images of the games, all in box, two out of four with the instruction booklets. They all look great. The only one that seems weird to me is the copy of 'Terminator.'

IMAG0326.jpg

IMAG0329.jpg

IMAG0331.jpg

It's a Genesis game. Or, it has a Genesis label. It also has a Genesis manual. But it's clearly in a Mega Drive box. Surely, something is not right here? I wouldn't be so put off if the seller wasn't acting weird, too.

The seller says the game works in his Mega Drive. I'm not sure how that could work, with the region lock...

It's a ridiculously good price Any ideas?

Angry Liberal Arts Major Hero of Algol Iron Lizard's Avatar

Is it Canadian?

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Lizard View Post
    Is it Canadian?
    Well, not as far as I know. If it is, it's far from home I live in Cyprus, EU

Seller says,

As i am aware it is because the terminator was made on 1992 i think. and games
    before 1994 didnt have the region code so they could play on mega drive and genesis.
    After 1994 games you needed to buy the specific cart for your console.
    That's not how I remember it, but maybe I'm wrong? lol

Angry Liberal Arts Major Hero of Algol Iron Lizard's Avatar

Odd. It's all I think of. I never seen Terminator like that but I have seen plenty of other Canadian games with both Genesis and Megadrive on them. I'm not sure if that's what you have.

Hmm, well it's at least comforting to know that it's happened before. Thanks!

Raging in the Streets SEGA.GENESIS1989's Avatar

Genesis

Rule #1: Trust your instincts. If the person is not being forthright, walk away from the deal. Something is amiss.

If that is a Canadian variant, I've not across that version. It's a 1992 release. I could be wrong but I find it highly unlikely that Mega drive would be used during that time period. maybe other Canucks can verify?

Anyways where is the buyer located?

You really should update your profile so that other users can help you out quickly

I am going to guess that both of you are located in PAL territory. From the pictures, I surmise that the seller has pieced the game together. He/she may have purchased a NTSC/Genesis game and manual separately and simply placed it in a PAL box to match the other games in his or her collection.
    Last edited by SEGA.GENESIS1989; 05-09-2014 at 04:05 PM.
    "There's nothing to fear, except fear itself"
    http://i1054.photobucket.com/albums/s486/link2link2link/YUZOKOSHIROISAGODNEOSEEDEDITION.gif

Quote Originally Posted by SEGA.GENESIS1989 View Post
    Rule #1: Trust your instincts. If the person is not being forthright, walk away from the deal. Something is amiss.
    Yeah, I hear you. They're actually being generous with my requests for more pictures, etc. But it still comes across as being strange. For example, they say they just bought the games 2 weeks ago, that they bought them for 50. That's the price they asked of me, too. I didn't respond right away and then suddenly they drop their price by over 50%. I don't know what their current financial situation might be, but it's a bit more than fishy.

I am going to guess that both of you are located in PAL territory. From the pictures, I surmise that the seller has pieced the game together. He/she may have purchased a NTSC/Genesis game and manual separately and simply placed it in a PAL box to match the other games in his or her collection.
    Yeah, we're both here in Cyprus, PAL Region. Thanks for your input.

Mega Driven Raging in the Streets cleeg's Avatar

On first glance that was my impression. I agree with this post.

Thanks guys. I think I'll pass on this sale, then. What mixed me up was that, even though he has a Genesis cart, he said it worked perfectly...on his Mega Drive. I guess some people are OK with just flat out lying to customers.
    Also, he backtracked on that special price.

Cheers

Wildside Expert turntablist1210's Avatar

in all likeliness, The Terminator is region free, most Megadrive games before 1994 or so are region free and will play in any system worldwide as long as it physically fits into the cart slot

Quote Originally Posted by turntablist1210 View Post
    in all likeliness, The Terminator is region free, most Megadrive games before 1994 or so are region free and will play in any system worldwide as long as it physically fits into the cart slot
    No kidding?

Also, I found this on eBay:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/sega-mega-...-/171308106663

This one also has a Genesis Terminator in a Mega Drive box. Maybe they actually sold it this way?

There are alot of members from the E.U. who contribute to this forum but sometimes it takes time for a person to respond to an enquiry such as this. Since you are interested in obtaining this game, I would fire a quick message to the seller and find out if he was the original owner of the game and if so I would also ask exactly when did he purchase this game.
    http://i1054.photobucket.com/albums/s486/link2link2link/YUZOKOSHIROISAGODNEOSEEDEDITION.gif

To my knowledge, all Mega Drive Games sold in the European PAL regions wore the "Mega Drive" label, not the "Genesis" one.

Also, the manual for the Terminator definitely doesn't look right, as the European release had a rather distinct (if cheap) look.

Sorry for the crappy small picture, I couldn't find a better one on short notice. Anyway, that's what an european original release of the game SHOULD look like.

"The Terminator" is region free though, so the NTSC-release should run without problems on a PAL console.
    The funny thing about an oxymoron is, even if you remove the ox, there'll always be a moron. The Question Remains: Y?

*Tips his cap to Phantar!*

Thanks for taking the time to confirm what the European copy of the game looks like.

Thread Information