Quantcast

Thread: Burning Sega / Mega CD Games for EU (+AUS/UK/NZ), US, Japan Regions

Sega CD Burning Sega / Mega CD Games for EU (+AUS/UK/NZ), US, Japan Regions

Hi all,

I'm new here and I've always enjoyed my Sega consoles. In particular Mega Drive / Genesis. Please note that I'm travelling overseas so all of June I won't be able to answer any questions.

I struggled and spent HOURS trying to copy USA format Sega CD to the EU Mega CD format and every time it was painstakingly progressing and there were many walls. The other articles here did help somewhat but it was incomplete and not much focus was drawn toward USA to EU conversions.

I'd like to add my input of my findings and share with others what worked. For those unsure, EU is the PAL format which is required for most European systems including UK, AUS and NZ.

Below is a guide of my findings that worked well for me.
    NOTE: This was using a Windows 8 64-bit OS and most of the software used may only have a trial period and require a license. I would advise against cracking them due to viruses as well as ripping off the developers. If it's a trial then copy what you can, while you can.

1. Mount the BIN file using any mounting tool. I used WinCDEmu or VirtualMount by Slysoft which are free but Alcohol 120% and Daemon tools work well too.

2. MUST USE WinISO to then make an ISO (select Make at the top). Select the mounted virtual drive letter and set the output as ISO to a location for the game.
    (Note it will be much smaller then original BIN/CUE file, that's fine as we will convert the audio later).
    WinISO - http://www.winiso.com/download.html

3. Copy ConvSCD in game location. Use ConvSCD110.exe on ISO if region isn't EU, change it by right-clicking on it and running it as admin. Type in ISO name.
    (I just copy the filename, click up top of command prompt window > Edit > Paste and add .ISO at the end.) Select respective region i.e 2 for EU/UK/AUS/NZ.
    ConvSCD - www.retrodev.com/ConvSCD110.zip

4. Play the WAVE file and if you notice a 2 second delay (99.99% of images will have this problem), use WavePad on the .WAV files and used the 2 second Trim Silence feature and trim 2 seconds minimum EXCEPT FOR Track02 as there is a pregap for it already. Set .WAV quality in WavePad to .WAV format, 16-bit at 44100Hz stereo, otherwise its degraded.

5. Rename the ISO within the same convention as the WAV files, but call it Track01 i.e SonicCD(Europe)Track01.iso

6. Use SegaCueMaker to create a new CUE file and save it in the same location, may need to run as admin. (a list of all the .WAV tracks should appear based on the ISO)
    Sega CueMaker - www.racketboy.com/downloads/SegaCueMaker.zip
    NOTE: I have a feeling Sega CueMaker is a pain at first on Windows Vista/7/8 until a dll file is registered. If you can navigate to it in command prompt as admin (right-click > run as admin), type: "regsvr32 <dllfilename.dll>" then it won't cause anymore problems.

7. Test CUE file with KEGA Fusion and if it plays at 50 FPS with audio on queue, you're set to burn the image. NOTE: the CUE file relies on ISO image and WAV files.
    KEGA Fusion (requires BIOS files) - http://www.eidolons-inn.net/tiki-dow...php?fileId=574

EU BIOS - http://www.emuparadise.me/biosfiles/...ios_Europe.zip
    USA BIOS - http://www.emuparadise.me/biosfiles/...D_Bios_USA.zip
    JAP BIOS - http://www.emuparadise.me/biosfiles/...Bios_Japan.zip
    Extract the BIOS in the same locaiton a KEGA or where you know they will be.
    Go to Options > Set Config... > Sega CD and point the BIOS files appropriately.

8. Only use IMGBurn to burn Sega / Mega CD CUE images.
    IMGBurn - http://download.imgburn.com/SetupImgBurn_2.5.8.0.exe

Enjoy.

Questions are more than welcome despite my travels.

================================================== ================================================== ===
    For any ECM-APE files, ECM tools is needed as well as a program called Audio Transcoder. NOTE: I have only added required additional download links, refer to the above for the remaining links.

1. Download and use ECM Tools and extract all contents to game file location
    http://www.emuparadise.me/Sony_Plays...36839-download

2. Use unecm.exe in the same folder location as extracted game

3. Unzip Track01.7z and extract ECM file to the same location.
    4. Load Command Prompt as admin using right-click on program and navigate to game location (if unsure, look up DOS command prompt basics - very easy)

5. Type "uecm Track01.bin.ecm Track01.iso" (Remove ANY spaces from original filename).

6. Copy ConvSCD in game location. Use ConvSCD110.exe on ISO if region isn't EU. change it by right-clicking on it and running it as admin. Type in ISO name
    (I just copy it, click up top of command prompt window > Edit > Paste and add .ISO ad the end.) Select respective region i.e 2 for EU.

7. Use a converter to convert APE > WAV. Use Audio Transcoder, works great.
    Audio Transcoder - www.audio-transcoder.com/downloads/audiotranscoder.zip

8. To remove that 2 second delay, use WavePad on the .WAV files and used the 2 second Trim Silence feature except on Track02 as there is a pregap for it already. It is limited to 5 conversions I believe before the trial expires. Set .WAV quality in WavePad again which is PCM, 16-bit, 44100 Hz, stereo. Otherwise its degraded.

9. Rename the ISO within the same convention as the WAV files, but call it Track01 i.e SonicCD(Europe)Track01.iso

10. Use SegaCueMaker to create a new CUE file and save it. (a list of all the tracks should appear based on the ISO)

11. Test with KEGA Fusion and if it plays at 50 FPS with audio bang on queue, you're set to burn the image. Otherwise, revise steps.

12. Only use IMGBurn to burn Sega / Mega CD images.

Enjoy.
    Last edited by RoadsOfAnger; 05-28-2014 at 12:28 PM. Reason: Added ECM-APE conversion

A few small differences and I have only added required downloads.

1. Download and use ECM Tools and extract all contents to game file location
    http://www.emuparadise.me/Sony_Plays...36839-download

2. Use unecm.exe in the same folder location as extracted game

3. Unzip Track01.7z and extract ECM file to the same location.
    4. Load Command Prompt as admin using right-click on program and navigate to game location (if unsure, look up DOS command prompt basics - v easy)

5. Type "uecm Track01.bin.ecm Track01.iso" (Remove ANY spaces from original filename).

6. Copy ConvSCD in game location. Use ConvSCD110.exe on ISO if region isn't EU by right-clicking on it and runnig it as admin. Type in ISO name
    (I just copy it, click up top of command prompt window > Edit > Paste and add .ISO ad the end.) Select respective region i.e 2 for EU.

7. Use a converter to convert APE > WAV. Use Audio Transcoder, works great. Set WAVE file rips to PCM, 16-bit, 441100KHz stereo.
    http://www.audio-transcoder.com/down...transcoder.zip

8. To remove that 2 second delay, use WavePad on the .WAV files and used the 2 second Trim Silence feature except on Track02 as there is a pregap for it already.
    Set .WAV quality in WavePad again, otherwise its degraded.

9. Rename the ISO within the same convention as the WAV files, but call it Track01 i.e SonicCD(Europe)Track01.iso

10. Use SegaCueMaker to create a new CUE file and save it. (a list of all the tracks should appear based on the ISO)

11. Test with KEGA Fusion and if it plays at 50 FPS with audio bang on queue, you're set to burn the image. Otherwise, revise steps.

12. Only use IMGBurn to burn Sega / Mega CD images.

Enjoy.

NOTE: I have read the people have had problems with SonicCD. I have recently tried this and haven't had a problem but haven't gone too far in the game just yet...fingers crossed!

King of the Ring WCPO Agent ThugsRook's Avatar

nice writeup but a lot of what you are doing is not needed and this can be done in a much simpler way with better software.

1&2) dump mounting the bin... use isobuster insted to rip the ISO and WAV files.

4) no longer needed thx to using isobuster.

this will save you a lot of time and trouble

Master of Shinobi

This is an overly complex guide that recommends so many unnecessary tools.

Simpler way is to use CDMage.
    1. Open your bin/cue or ccd/img/sub image, right click on Session 1 Track 1, pick "extract track". Make sure you have Mode1/2048 selected. Pick a location (preferably next to ConvSCD), and extract.
    2. Patch the extracted iso with ConvSCD.
    3. Open the patched, 2048 mode image in CDMage (if it asks the type of the file, set M1/2048). Use the extract tool again, but this time make sure you have Mode1/2352 selected. Extract.
    4. Open your ORIGINAL game again, go to Action -> Import sectors. In the Count field, set 16, then hit OK, select your PATCHED image, and let it import. Since the entire Sega CD game header is stored in the first 16 sectors (everything else is ISO9660 data), importing only the first 16 sectors should be enough. Hell, importing only the first 2-3 sectors is probably enough, but 16 should be the safest. You can always go stir crazy and import the entire thing if you want to, though.
    5. Burn and play. Or test in Kega first, if you are not brave.

If your original bin/cue is in 2048 mode (indicated on the tree view in CDMage as MODE1/2048), then you can skip step 3. If you use the old TOSEC rips (they are 2048 mode iso+wav), you can also skip step 1, 3 and 4. Proper bin/cue is in mode 2352 and needs all those steps - which are essentially just there for mode converting the tracks, as ConvSCD only seems to be able to read 2048 mode data.

If you have ECM/APE images, ditch them and get some proper rips instead (Trurip is recommended).

This way you can do everything using only 1 tool, plus ConvSCD. No CUE mucking required. Hell you don't even need to install anything since CDMage is portable, nor you have to worry about trial periods on certain apps and such. Use the right tool for the right job!

Also, for burning, I'd recommend using anything but Imgburn. It produces the lowest quality burns. Every time I've seen someone complain about a burn that didn't work on a console, it was either a bad cd image, or they used Imgburn. CloneCD is more reliable, and so are old versions of Nero before they bloated it to all hell (I stopped updating it in 2006, still using Nero 7 Lite, ver 7.8.5.0).

Master of Shinobi

Or an alternative, easiest method: install a region free bios in your Sega CD. Then you'll never have to touch ConvSCD again.

King of the Ring WCPO Agent ThugsRook's Avatar

isnt there a (cheap) PRO cart that makes your SCD region free?

all this editing just for a region patch is a bit much.

Thanks for the feedback guys, I've been busy adding to my collection amongst other commitments and realised that I hadn't checked Sega-16 for a while. My biggest problem was I could only locate ECM or APE images for some games which made this process difficult and time consuming. Zyrobs, I will try CDMage for my BIN/CUE files. I would rather not tamper with the Mega CD but having a region free BIOS would eradicate region issues for good. A cartridge for region free games would be great.

ThugsRook, your last post is exactly why I created this thread. It was over complicated and it did seem unnecessary until I came across an ECM / APE image and wasn't able to locate a clean rip anywhere else. I'm aiming at helping those in my situation and there didn't seem to be a short unambiguous method to convert ECM / APE images to perform exactly like an original on EU / AUS / UK / NZ format as well as picking up any valuable information from you guys.

Thread Information