Quantcast

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Twin Hawk

For vertical shooters on the Genesis/Mega Drive, my personal favorites are Truxton/Tatsujin, and Phelios. I think Phelios is a hidden gem that many people don't even know of.
    MY SEGAS
    [Model 1 Sega CD x 5] [Model 1 HD Genesis w/Component Video] [Model 2 Genesis] [32X CIB] [Master System Model 3010] [Nomad w/LCD mod] [Dreamcast] [Saturn] [Game Gear]

These games all have similar mechanics:

Truxton
    Fire Shark
    Raiden Trad
    Twin Hawk
    Last edited by PHANTOM2040; 04-27-2014 at 11:25 AM.

I played the Pc engine version and i found it to be well...kinda boring.

The levels are not exciting, the enemies are repetitive and there are not enough weapons.

Ill rate it 5.5/10

Truxton is one of my favorite shooters as well, anyone who gives it a bad rating needs to stop playing games.

Quote Originally Posted by PHANTOM2040 View Post
    Must have verticals not in order:

Truxton
    Fire Shark
    Raiden Trad
    Vapor Trail
    Task Force Harrier EX
    Twin Hawk
    MUSHA
    Space Turtle Spaceship
    Dangerous Seed
    Magic Girl
    Grind Stormer
    No Mega Swiv Phantom? i was playing that the other day and really enjoyed it to be honest

I just ordered a complete japanese copy for $10.

Sports Talker

This review doesn't seem to do a very good job of explaining things. It says the game is "unorthodox", but then only mentions some minor details without explaining why any of those details matter even by themselves. Not only that, but what makes this game unorthodox, and what also makes it good, is how the entire package comes together. However, I feel that although the Mega Drive port is a good attempt at a conversion, I'm not sure it's enough for this game... I need to play it more. By the way, the PC Engine versions are garbage, please avoid them.

At the very least, I know about the original arcade version. It may look like some misnamed sequel to Flying Shark, but the entire game's feel is nothing like any other Toaplan game or even most shmups in general, and you have to approach it that way. You may have heard about some "zone" that a player might sometimes go into; the entire point of Twin Hawk is to play in such a zone from the start. The music encourages such a state, somewhat "soft" and being composed with the idea of "melody leads into beat". Removing air enemies allowed the team to make some very sensible patterns that almost feel like Donpachi chaining, again encouraging such a state. Nothing seems "threatening", yet you always know you will die if you lose that true focus. By the way, you don't need to use your helpers or bombs... at least not for a while.

All of these things are completely at odds with what people "want", yet even after getting over that hurdle you will find there is no "annoying" quality like in so many other Toaplan games, with the exception of that accursed powerup system that I can't even blame the developers for. I want to remake it someday and fix this one flaw.

Master of Shinobi midnightrider's Avatar

Heh, I actually first discovered this as Japanese Hucard. Didn't realize there was an English localization for the longest time. Thought the multiple planes attacking alongside yours was really unique to see in this genre.

Raging in the Streets SEGA.GENESIS1989's Avatar

I did not know that a port made it's way to the PC Engine. The game isn't the prettiest shooter on screen but like a large mouth bass on the end of your hook the game offers a decent challenge.
    "There's nothing to fear, except fear itself"
    http://i1054.photobucket.com/albums/s486/link2link2link/YUZOKOSHIROISAGODNEOSEEDEDITION.gif

Quote Originally Posted by SEGA.GENESIS1989 View Post
    I did not know that a port made it's way to the PC Engine.
    As Despatche said, the PC Engine ports are crap.

& the PC Engine CD version, which is called Daisenpū Custom, is even worse than the HuCard version! The stages are now disconnected (WTF?! It was one of the coolest feature of the original game...); the graphics are less detailled; etc...

& the HuCard version is already bad with wrong hitboxes; no score display while playing; quite a lot of flickering; lacking the craters when destroying tanks; etc...

The Mega Drive version on other hand is quite good :
    - Once again it runs in higher-resolution than the PC Engine versions so an HUD bar has been added for all the necessary informations
    - Its gameplay / hitboxes work good
    - It has nice graphics
    - & its music rendition is great!

Talking about it, i love how the music starts in this game : a short, heroic introduction tune during the take-off sequence... then the 1st track begins... both fitting so perfectly the mood...

Another fine Toaplan shooter with original gameplay mechanics combined with well-timed action.

Raging in the Streets SEGA.GENESIS1989's Avatar

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by SpaceHarrier View Post
    Talking about it, i love how the music starts in this game : a short, heroic introduction tune during the take-off sequence... then the 1st track begins... both fitting so perfectly the mood...

Another fine Toaplan shooter with original gameplay mechanics combined with well-timed action.
    I'm not going to lie: It's good to hear someone praise TOAPLAN on the forums especially considering that ported so many great arcade shooters to the MD! Thanks for discussing the differences between the MD and PCE versions. Much appreciated!
    "There's nothing to fear, except fear itself"
    http://i1054.photobucket.com/albums/s486/link2link2link/YUZOKOSHIROISAGODNEOSEEDEDITION.gif

Hero of Algol

"You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to SpaceHarrier again."

Genesis

Cheers! :beer:

Toaplan was one of the finest dev' back then & the Mega Drive is like their 2nd home (Just too bad the Saturn hasn't received as many Toaplan ports as the MD).

Glad if i can help to choose the best way to enjoy your games.
    Some things are subjective like music (but still can be discussed in some technical aspects), but some others ones like gameplay or animation are objective. That's why the Mega Drive rocks : most of the time perfect gameplay + fluid games & also some awesome things graphically & audio-Wise.

As for Daisenpū / Twin Hawk, i can make a more detailled comparison if you want. Or let's rather post it in the MD Vs. SNES topic & expand it to PCE games too?

Quote Originally Posted by SpaceHarrier View Post
    Cheers! :beer:

Toaplan was one of the finest dev' back then & the Mega Drive is like their 2nd home (Just too bad the Saturn hasn't received as many Toaplan ports as the MD).

Glad if i can help to choose the best way to enjoy your games.
    Some things are subjective like music (but still can be discussed in some technical aspects), but some others ones like gameplay or animation are objective. That's why the Mega Drive rocks : most of the time perfect gameplay + fluid games & also some awesome things graphically & audio-Wise.

As for Daisenpū / Twin Hawk, i can make a more detailled comparison if you want. Or let's rather post it in the MD Vs. SNES topic & expand it to PCE games too?
    Yeah, i'm fan of Toaplan too; Fire Shark, Hellfire and Zero Wing are great games. I just could never get into Truxton.

Anyway, you can make a specific thread for this comparison if you feel like it. I love to this kind of stuff.

Tatsujin was, IIRC, the 1st Toaplan game i've ever played & it was an instant love :p

Anyway glad to see that there are others Toaplan fans here!

As for a specific topic, i'll see... Or maybe a dedicated forum section only for comparison topics with an index sticked at beginning?

Thread Information