Quantcast

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: which genesis games NEED updating?

Default which genesis games NEED updating?

which old school sega games would you like to see on current generation systems?

heres my wishlist........

streets of rage

road rash

robocop vs terminator (3d deathmatching heaven oh yes)

afterburner

shinobi

these seem like total no brainers.....who owns the trademark licences to these games and why dont they produce this shit and make some money? an updated version of road rash in hd would be off the scale. throw in loads of mad weaponry like tazers and sticks with rusty nails in them to wallop your enemies with. Young gamers not knowing what these games are is no excuse either.......the games i mentioned are cool as f__k and anyone who likes cool stuff would enjoy them.

it was bad enough that sega quit making consoles......why cant they update some stuff we all played as kids? didnt sega make a urinal arcade machine fairly recently? what the actual f__k?

just realised robocop vs terminator would be out of sega's hands haha

Bite my shiny, metal ***! Hero of Algol retrospiel's Avatar

No, no updates. Either make true MD sequels or Saturn sequels but no more lifeless 3d please.
    The Mega Drive was far inferior to the NES in terms of diffusion rate and sales in the Japanese market, though there were ardent Sega users. But in the US and Europe, we knew Sega could challenge Nintendo. We aimed at dominating those markets, hiring experienced staff for our overseas department in Japan, and revitalising Sega of America and the ailing Virgin group in Europe.

Then we set about developing killer games.

- Hayao Nakayama, Mega Drive Collected Works (p. 17)

King of the Ring WCPO Agent ThugsRook's Avatar

none of them need updating

yeah i should've specified......id keep SOR and shinobi in 2D......afterburner and road rash could be done reall well though. if i ever win the lottery i will personally make this happen. sega must be too succesful atm to bother though. just keep putting shitty 3D sonic games out...........it sounds like im hating on sega but im not, i loved this brand......but i dont understand what they are doing lately.

Quote Originally Posted by ThugsRook View Post
    none of them need updating
    a modern afterbrner or road rash doesnt appeal to you?

I remain nonsequitur Shining Hero sheath's Avatar

Posts need punctuation, Genesis games do not need modern updates. Legitimate sequels are great and all, but what really needs to return is the early to mid 90s penchant for making completely new games, even if they were part of a franchise.
    "... If Sony reduced the price of the Playstation, Sega would have to follow suit in order to stay competitive, but Saturn's high manufacturing cost would then translate into huge losses for the company." p170 Revolutionaries at Sony.

"We ... put Sega out of the hardware business ..." Peter Dille senior vice president of marketing at Sony Computer Entertainment

ToeJam is a wiener Hero of Algol Guntz's Avatar

How about a new ToeJam & Earl game? By that I mean a new rogue-like, not a platformer.

posts need punctuation? i missed that particular part in the forum rules....sorry. i just write how i feel like usually if i dont realise im being tested. did you mean that some people struggle to read or have OCD about things that are not written perfectly and correctly punctuated?

when i said 'need', i didnt mean it literally. of course no game needs updating. its like saying 'i need to hear metallicas new album' or whatevr.

i simply meant that modernised versions of these games would be great. if they MUST be sequels then ok.

theres new games all over the place. its updated sega shit that is scarce.
    Last edited by Andy; 07-05-2014 at 10:11 PM.

I think you'll find most people here are against the thought of modern updates of classics, much in the same way people are against all these awful reboots that Hollywood is pumping out. All they do is tarnish the memory of the original.

What you are talking about updating are exactly what made those classic Genesis games unique. If you remake Robocop vs Terminator as some kind of 3D deathmatch game, then it isn't Robocop vs Terminator anymore. It's just a generic 3D deathmatch game that happens to share the same name as a classic.

But as others have said, it would be nice to have true sequels to games built according to the original hardware limitations, but using modern design principles. I would like a sequel to General Chaos that added more varied gameplay and made the controls a bit better.

I remain nonsequitur Shining Hero sheath's Avatar

ToeJam & Earl 3 was slammed by the media and ignored by consumers for not being a Banjo/Jak&Daxter clone. I doubt another attempt would fare any better. I personally would love a 2D or 3D remake of the original, with randomly generated worlds and everything else. I would also like a proper progression of Strider, Shinobi III, Streets of Rage 2, and Virtual On Oratario Tangram. Something that keeps the essence and makes a new game, while leaving the original intact as a unique well made game as well would really be a sight for sore eyes.

As for punctuation, I will say the only thing that might make any sense. Text communication is already a horrible way to relate to other flawed, drunk, stoned, or whatever human beings. Failing to use standard writing techniques like punctuation means you will be ignored or thought stupid most of the time.
    "... If Sony reduced the price of the Playstation, Sega would have to follow suit in order to stay competitive, but Saturn's high manufacturing cost would then translate into huge losses for the company." p170 Revolutionaries at Sony.

"We ... put Sega out of the hardware business ..." Peter Dille senior vice president of marketing at Sony Computer Entertainment

yeah i think theres some confusion somewhere....probably my fault.

if say, a new shinobi came out for ps4 or x box, and it was the same style as the originals.....controls as close to the genesis as possible. not in 3D or anything. Would that not be great? surely using modern technology to improve on something is acceptable....if it is an improvement and not just style over substance.

the 3D robocop deathmatch would be good but in a completely seperate game you're right.
    Last edited by Andy; 07-05-2014 at 10:28 PM.

Road Rasher

I wouldn't say they need updating, but a few could do with optimizations to run better

Super Robot Raging in the Streets Obviously's Avatar

Now I'm mad about the new Robocop movie all over again. Dammit.

Quote Originally Posted by Obviously View Post
    Now I'm mad about the new Robocop movie all over again. Dammit.
    lol still havent watched that.......on purpose.

Thread Information