Quantcast

Thread: What is this on my VA2? 171-6961A?

Keepin' it 16-bit Death Adder's minion jake87c's Avatar

Default What is this on my VA2? 171-6961A?

Hello all, glad to be part of the forums.

Could anyone here shed some light on what this chip does exactly? Seems it was installed via manufacturer and has ground, power, in and out wires.
    If there's already a thread with the info could someone post the link? I did a general search but couldn't find anything mentioning 171-6961A.

Found this but didn't produce the info I was hoping for: http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showth...enesis-model-2

Thank you all in advance!

2014-07-06 19.34.20.jpg
    2014-07-06 19.34.36.jpg

Creator of the Mega Amp Raging in the Streets Ace's Avatar

I'm not too sure what that board is for, but it's normal to find these on a VA2 board. The chip on that board would later be moved to the motherboard with the VA2.3 revision. Might be worth it to retrace what the chip connects to.
    HATES ATGAMES WITH A PASSION

Mega Amp: An all-new audio circuit for your Sega Genesis/MegaDrive and clones.

Note: If you want to contact me on Skype, identify yourself or your contact request will be rejected.

I remember reading about those before. Cannot remember exactly but I seem to recall it was believed to be a ''Hot fix'' sega implemented in those consoles to patch an issue with that generation of board. I might be misled, but all things considered that would be the most likely explanation.

Look at that! Little pieces of black tape instead of hot glue!

I just did a quick trace on my VA2 board. The 171-6961A board has a 74HC14 hex chip and it makes B26 (blue output wire to cart connector as seen on the OP pic above). On my board the green wire is yellow and it attaches directly to a 315-5786 ASIC trace.

As Maxwar suggested this may very well be a "hot fix" because that very same trace that the yellow wire connects to, there's another side to the trace that was going directly to B26, but it was severed for the addition of the new board.

The other gray wire is an enclosed ground shielded wire that connects to the processor signal "CLK" (pin 15), to the main ASIC, and to the cartridge connector pin B19 pulled down by a 2.2K resistor.

Keepin' it 16-bit Death Adder's minion jake87c's Avatar

Thank you all for the detailed responses, pretty much answered my question. Since this board has a 'hot-fix' I assume its not a desirable board to start modding.
    Start, ABBA ABBA to level skip to carpet ride!

Thread Information