Quantcast

Page 145 of 146 FirstFirst ... 4595135141142143144145146 LastLast
Results 2,161 to 2,175 of 2190

Thread: Gabriel Pyron's Color Hacks!!! (Golden Axe, Street Fighter II, Final Fight CD, etc)

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert

I was playing Pyron's TMNT recently and it's a sensational job, I'm going to keep a Repro in my collection.

Puzzle Bobbler Wildside Expert smokemonster's Avatar

Opa-Opa

Pyron's new Patreon was covered in the RetroRGB Weekly Roundup this week (coverage starts at 9:20):

WOW!
    Now I was really surprised ...

I followed Bob and RetroRGB a long time and never really imagined that he liked something I did. I guess I've never heard anyone say anything generous like that about what I do before, I really am very grateful and flattered by it.

Smoke you also always support me so I leave my thanks to you here again.

I really need more time to watch the content on youtube = D

Visit my youtube channel Pyron's Lair
    Take here all my hacks made with love for all of us here
    Want to help me? Here is my Patreon!

You are doing God’s work my friend

I realize thats nobody knows (or care) about this hack, so i make a small video with comparison..
    i didn't zoom in the objects.. barrels and billboards to people see the differences but you can pause the video =D
    i hope someone enjoys it

Wildside Expert

Quote Originally Posted by Pyron View Post
    I realize thats nobody knows (or care) about this hack, so i make a small video with comparison..
    i didn't zoom in the objects.. barrels and billboards to people see the differences but you can pause the video =D
    i hope someone enjoys it

Of course somebody knows about it... I do!

And I did mention it to some other people, so they know who you are.

I even asked for a reprocart with it.

Yes, your hack also made me enjoy the MD port even more!!

One friend tonight ask me som question about mortal kombat conversion, so i did one try with digitalized stuff to test.

arcade 59 colors / MD 16

As we see in others games on MK series the pallete is not a big problem to characters..
    the real insue is the backgrounds
    Last edited by Pyron; 12-14-2018 at 08:31 AM.

The Cat in the Hat Shining Hero NeoVamp's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pyron View Post
    the pallete is not a big problem to characters..
    Until you try to add their specials and the HUD to the palette, then it gets difficult.
    Really depends what you wanna do, ugly character with good backgrounds or ugly backgrounds with good characters?

Personally I managed to somewhat properly convert Johnny Cage/Liu Kang/Kano to 16 colors with the HUD and specials present.
    Rayden and the Ninjas probably aren't that difficult since their costumes are pretty close color to their specials.

But Sonya, ugh..
    Last edited by NeoVamp; 12-14-2018 at 08:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by NeoVamp View Post
    Until you try to add their specials and the HUD to the palette, then it gets difficult.
    Really depends what you wanna do, ugly character with good backgrounds or ugly backgrounds with good characters?

Personally I managed to somewhat properly convert Johnny Cage/Liu Kang/Kano to 16 colors with the HUD and specials present.
    Rayden and the Ninjas probably aren't that difficult since their costumes are pretty close color to their specials.

But Sonya, ugh..
    I missed a litle in blue tones because my laptop monitor sucks.. so it can done better in my main setup.

Now about pallete choices you have a good call, so the goals must be set from begining and deal with limitations, what is more important ?

I think that i can remove 2 colors from each char palette and it still gonna look good and i can do a complete interface
    in particular in mk 1 in my opinion sacrifice characters colors to UI and specials is a miss step,
    because the characters is the main achiv of the game and is the element that you are in focus 100% of time
    also almost everything can be done with regular character pallete, some cases like J. Cage and Sonya B. you have to change things..
    so sonya special gonna be green instead of pink.. as cage fire ball gonna use skin colors or other trick...

now the backgrounds is a challenge.. but if we look at the md originals they did a good job.. we just need to improve and complete the miss artwork

edit: I forgot to say, post your results to us
    Last edited by Pyron; 12-14-2018 at 09:14 PM.

The Cat in the Hat Shining Hero NeoVamp's Avatar

Here's some stuff that I've been tinkering with.

With this each character has not only their own colors but also colors for their specials AND the HUD.
    this way the backgrounds can use the full 2 layers and palettes.

Personally I feel that the backgrounds should be priority, they are the biggest part of the screen after all.
    (And Probe kinda showed us that their HUD+BG approach just gives you an ugly background)

Edit : You just know that the MD palette is gonna be a dick and ruin whatever little result I managed here.
    Last edited by NeoVamp; 12-15-2018 at 04:25 PM.

Smith's Minister of War Hero of Algol Kamahl's Avatar

Mid-screen color swaps are always an option. You can probably get away with 3 colours per line, so you could check some set of colours in the background that are only needed at the bottom and replace those for the HUD with enough colour changes. The HUD is very simple so this should be feasible.

The special attacks though? You really need to have them be part of the character palette, not much else you can do...

Mortal Kombat 2 though? Oh boy... good luck with that one.

I've also thought how to make MK or MK2 on the Amiga, which is even less well prepared for it, and this is what I came up with:

- No Parallax
    - 25 FPS
    - Blacked out, reorganised HUD (done with copper swaps)
    - EHB mode (32+32 shadow colors)
    - 8 colors per character (plus 8 shadow each)
    - 10 colors + 10 shadow for the background, with up to 10 colors (and shadows) changed per line, Universe style.
    - 3+3 colors for special effects (+ 6 shadows).

The background color swapping would look something like this (the 12 bit master palette is a huge help):

This thread needs more... ENGINEERS

like in my sf2aplha proposal i split the ui in 2 palletes, i just need leave empty 2 colors in each char pallete, the mk1 ui is very simple,
    left the back with entire 2 palletes..

but in this case also i made a try using the inverted concept to bkg.. and leaving the character with full pallete,
    all depends the constrains of the project

Smith's Minister of War Hero of Algol Kamahl's Avatar

Yeah, I think MK1 is definitely doable. You only really need red, yellow and green somehow, you could even sacrifice the yellow or the white (you can replace one with the other).
    Black and white are easy to get, you can put them in pretty much any palette and they won't be a waste. So essentially you're only sacrificing 2 or 3 colors of a palette to get the HUD. Not a big deal, in some stages you can even make use of them.

The special attacks of some characters are more annoying.
    This thread needs more... ENGINEERS

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-Training Amaweks's Avatar

Very nice, and have 2 palettes to background whould improve a lot the visuals.

Ive just take one of your sprite examples (Cage) and edited the palette to Maga Drive/Sega Genesis accurate colors, and surprisingly it looks very good. Don't know about the other characters, but look:
    Attachment 14780

Edit: The image attached was a PNG, but looks like the forum turned it to compressed jpg, so I'm reposting int in other way:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Amaweks; 02-03-2019 at 06:19 AM. Reason: Image quality lost

i was seeing about people opinion about ys3, and get suprised that's most of people takes PCE CD version as the best version on 16 bits
    and i'm shocked with this..
    I played it again on my console.. and my impression has the same from yeas ago..
    choppy as hell, background and enemys has less detalis than the MD version that is a cartigde game against a CD release,
    the strong points on PCE CD version is presetation that is outstading for the time and the CD soundtrack,
    but fm music on MD realease is amazing too, energetic and some of then i prefer over CD tracks, so for me is almost a tie..

People complain about dark grafics on MD release on some areas and Adol brown hair, and its true..
    i think a least it can be fixed, rank up this version..
    thats for me is best than PCE CD version.

pce, md, snes, md ce

What you think guys, it deserves some work, or does not make difference ?

Thread Information