Quantcast

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Beggar Prince Returns

Quote Originally Posted by cheaterdragon1 View Post
    That has got to be a typo, there's no reason for it to take that long. Otherwise it's the same crap over again with that Nightmare Busters game.
    No typo - apparently Brandon is going for an anniversary edition thing:
    - the original taiwanese version was released in 1996
    - SFTs first run of english copies came out in 2006
    - 2016 is the 10/20 anniversary mark, so to speak.

Though I don't quite understand why Brandon feels the need to build up hype for two years. Seems to me like it would've sufficed to mske the announce,ent next year.
    The funny thing about an oxymoron is, even if you remove the ox, there'll always be a moron. The Question Remains: Y?

@ SEGAbits Wildside Expert fruitsofherwomb's Avatar

I wonder what they are going to do new for the re-release. Wondering due to their first and second pressing having a huge improvement when it comes to art work.
    Attachment 9351 vs Attachment 9352

Also some of the portraits inside the new pressed version (second) are still very poor. I also hate how it has Genesis/Mega Drive on the cover instead of pressing a Mega Drive and a Genesis version.

SFT has basically lost all my goodwill. I already have the game - bought the very first run from years ago, even - but re-releasing it at $63 is nonsense. They've already been shown up in most ways by Watermelon just in terms of packaging, value offering, etc. SFT needs to step it up or release their games at a lower price point.

a.k.a. hombreimaginario Outrunner synapse's Avatar

So... cardboard instead of plastic case? Man... seriously...

^what he said

WOW, so i could make cardboard boxes games glossed n customized too

Quote Originally Posted by synapse View Post
    Yep. Lower quality/durability packaging, and $15 more. A business model for the ages.

Currently Reviewing: Galaxy Force (SMS)
    Coming Up:TF3 Side by Side
    Done:

Quote Originally Posted by synapse View Post
    SFT's plastic cases are a joke, too. They look nothing like standard G/MD games (thinner, way shinier) and are super crappy, low quality.

All of Super Fighter Team's games are cardboard now.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Redifer View Post
    All of Super Fighter Team's games are cardboard now.
    Ah, I hadn't bought one since Star Odyssey.

Raging in the Streets SEGA.GENESIS1989's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Phantar View Post
    No typo - apparently Brandon is going for an anniversary edition thing:
    - the original taiwanese version was released in 1996
    - SFTs first run of english copies came out in 2006
    - 2016 is the 10/20 anniversary mark, so to speak.

Though I don't quite understand why Brandon feels the need to build up hype for two years. Seems to me like it would've sufficed to mske the announce,ent next year.
    I overlooked the fact that this is an anniversary edition release. Brandon is more business oriented and probably is affording himself a bit of time to obtain the necessary funding for manufacturing costs. Looking at the situation from his vantage point, pre-orders makes alot of sense. But I hope he provides a mock up of the outer case (and manual) so we can see what this anniversary edition version will look like since this latest release is more expensive than some of his other releases.

I am still hoping that he will re-release Legend of Wukong.
    "There's nothing to fear, except fear itself"
    http://i1054.photobucket.com/albums/s486/link2link2link/YUZOKOSHIROISAGODNEOSEEDEDITION.gif

Outrunner

I sold my first-run copy of Beggar Prince a while back. Once I got my copy of Pier Solar, I realized the only reason I'd bought "Beggar Prince" in the first place was for the novelty of a "new" Genesis game. It isn't a bad game (unless you're especially bothered by the fact that it's possible - easy, in fact - to get your game into an unwinnable state), but it's nothing special either. There are much better RPGs on the system.
    It may no longer be the `90s, but there is still time for Klax.

Loves Lori Bazzil! Raging in the Streets 108 Stars's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SEGA.GENESIS1989 View Post
    I overlooked the fact that this is an anniversary edition release. Brandon is more business oriented and probably is affording himself a bit of time to obtain the necessary funding for manufacturing costs. Looking at the situation from his vantage point, pre-orders makes alot of sense. But I hope he provides a mock up of the outer case (and manual) so we can see what this anniversary edition version will look like since this latest release is more expensive than some of his other releases.

I am still hoping that he will re-release Legend of Wukong.
    You did not overlook it, this is simply an assumption going by the release date. The product page doesn't say anything about it being a special anniversary edition. It just specifically says

Here's what you'll be getting when you order:
    *Game cartridge with authentic plastic shell
    *Full color instruction manual
    *Full color cardstock box
    So don't expect to anything more than the standard release in cardboard now. Everything else is very speculative, given that the site doesn't even hint at any extras. Can't even blame Brandon if anyone expects more, he makes it pretty clear what you will get.

The higher price is probably just a result of prices generally rising. It's been 10 years since the first print run, and it's 10 dollars more plus shipping. Nightmare Busters is even more expensive.

Rising prices in general, the game is 32 Megs (I presume Magic Girl and Cascade are much smaller), and it is very possible that he is calculating for a rather small print run given that many of the die-hard fans who would care about the game already have it with 1500 copies already out there. I think the second print run was like only 300 copies, which is like the bottom number of what is even making sense. Maybe he calculates for a similar number now. Lower print-runs= higher unit price.

The initial time/labor investment in acquiring, translating and reprogramming the game has already been made, so the only real costs are the materials. It's impossible for anybody to know exactly what deal they have, but a broad guess at a production run of several hundred copies might translate to production costs of $5-10 per copy. I don't understand why they would RAISE prices, as it's hard to make the argument that they have to recoup initial investment costs at this point. Usually when games are re-released, the price is lowered for this very reason.

Maybe SFT thinks they can still demand a premium for the game? I suppose if they released an anniversary edition with some nice bonuses, they might, but it doesn't seem like they will. The ROM has been hacked for use with emulators, so people don't need to buy the game to play it now. Only 2 copies have sold on ebay in the past 3 months, 1 for $115 and 1 for $138. That's a good price, but I'm not sure there's that much demand for it beyond a few collectors.

^every game they released has been hacked. Least every rpg.

Nameless One

all this fucker is interested in is money, make no doubt about that. If you are reading this Mr Cobb, you're a melon farmer

Thread Information