Quantcast

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Genesis' 25th anniversary!

Master of Shinobi midnightrider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix View Post
    at the commentary at times but here you go.
    ADD I guess... He also really needs to learn the throw landing. *watches as this guy needlessly loses lives because he was successfully thrown every single time.*

The Lego thing really could work, if they had a good idea/execution for it. The graphics look pretty cool anyway.

So's your old man! Raging in the Streets zetastrike's Avatar

Wow, 25 years.

Tonight I'll celebrate by playing some of the Phantasy Star II Modernization hack. I've always liked everything about PSII (music, art, atmosphere) but the pacing and difficulty. This makes it more on par with PSIV and I love it.
    Quote Originally Posted by A Black Falcon
    Nope. Bloodlines is the problem, not me. I have no trouble with Super Castlevania IV (SNES) and Dracula X: Rondo of Blood (TCD), and have finished both games. Both of those are outstanding games, among the best platformers of the generation. In comparison Bloodlines is third or fourth tier.

No, it's unbiased analysis. The only fanboyism is people who claim that Hyperstone Heist and Bloodlines are actually as good as their SNES counterparts.
    My Collection: http://vgcollect.com/zetastrike

Man in Black Master of Shinobi IrishNinja's Avatar

^yeah my friend just ran through PS2 with that patch, what versions have it? i think he got it off the JP PSN store on PS3, apparently there's an english option.

It's at romhacking. I think the reason I didn't go for it was that it sounds like they're not done with it yet.

I feel like I can honestly say, no console has done more to shape the industry than the Genesis has:
    -It opened up the competitive market for North America.
    -It opened up "mature" content for future generations, starting up the ratings system.
    -It made it feasible for western developers to get back into console development(though mostly thanks to EA).
    -It started the early beginnings of internet on home consoles(Seganet[first time there were exclusive downloadable games] & Sega Channel).
    -Coming off the heels of what the Master System slowly started, it got the UK to open up to home consoles, whereas before the gaming devices of choice were PC's.

I'm sure there's more, it's just not coming to me right now.

In Jeremy Parish's own words, from today's Genesis, re-branded from the Mega Drive 25th anniversary(), U.S. Gamer article:
    http://www.usgamer.net/articles/the-...nesis-turns-25

"The Genesis legacy

While the triumphs of the Genesis tend to be overshadowed by the travails that Sega suffered in the years following the console's retirement, its successes shouldn't be diminished by its successors. Sega played a key role in ensuring the vitality and future of the games industry by breaking Nintendo's near-monopolistic hold on the U.S. and awakening the U.K. to the merits of television gaming. Even in Japan, where the Mega Drive duked it out with NEC's PC Engine for second place, Sega fostered variety and alternative choices for gamers.

The legacy of the Sega Genesis is best seen in its software library. As usual for Sega's consoles, its own internally developed projects hold up to the test of time. Meanwhile, third parties made remarkable strides on the system with both arcade conversions and great original material. Genesis gave birth to legendary developers Treasure. The relatively low production costs of Sega CD helped Working Designs establish itself as the first boutique publisher dedicated to niche import software. It served as the incubator for key modern sports franchises. Its intense, action-driven games remain addictive to this day, and its library of RPGs contains overlooked gems begging to be discovered by genre addicts. Americans got their first proper taste of Hideo Kojima's personal quirks with Snatcher, discovered turn-based strategy with Shining Force II, witnessed the glory days of vanished developers like TechnoSoft and Wolf Team, and maybe even played a few FMV games."

So's your old man! Raging in the Streets zetastrike's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by IrishNinja View Post
    ^yeah my friend just ran through PS2 with that patch, what versions have it? i think he got it off the JP PSN store on PS3, apparently there's an english option.
    Quote Originally Posted by romhacking.net
    The purpose of this hack is to mitigate many of the worse flaws of Phantasy Star II in order to create an overall play experience more similar to that of Phantasy Star IV. This means decreasing the amount of level and money grinding, increasing the number of references to other games in the series, some translation improvement, bug correction, and more.

Major changes include: character niches and specialties are enhanced, technique arsenals are improved and mastered more speedily, shop and treasure chest contents are streamlined, characters join with better equipment, useless items are retired in favor of better items, enemy names are expanded, etc.

We are currently on Version 2.0, the second release of this hack. 2.0 introduces improved character rebalancing, restoration of a dummied-out enemy, numerous improvements to menu text, and various other minor adjustments.
    This solves most of my problems with the game. The only thing I would add is a way to see when your next level is in the menu. It's annoying to go to a save spot only to learn that a character is a fight away from leveling up.
    Quote Originally Posted by A Black Falcon
    Nope. Bloodlines is the problem, not me. I have no trouble with Super Castlevania IV (SNES) and Dracula X: Rondo of Blood (TCD), and have finished both games. Both of those are outstanding games, among the best platformers of the generation. In comparison Bloodlines is third or fourth tier.

No, it's unbiased analysis. The only fanboyism is people who claim that Hyperstone Heist and Bloodlines are actually as good as their SNES counterparts.
    My Collection: http://vgcollect.com/zetastrike

Sadly, I was not playing the Genesis 25 years ago but I think I will play through the (good) games that I got with my Genesis a few years ago: Truxton, Streets of Rage 2, and of course..... SHADOW DANCER!!!!!

Sorry, couldn't resist.
    Last edited by marlowe221; 08-14-2014 at 05:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by midnightrider View Post
    I feel like I can honestly say, no console has done more to shape the industry than the Genesis has
    Genesis isn't even in the same ballpark in industry shaping as NES and PlayStation.

Outrunner

You're right about the NES, but I think the Genesis's impact is comparable to the PlayStation's. I think the game industry would look very different if Sega hadn't broken Nintendo's monopoly when it did.
    It may no longer be the `90s, but there is still time for Klax.

The Technician Sports Talker Hik's Avatar

I'll make a note here to say;

I was here for the 25th Anniversary of the Sega Megadrive/Genesis.

And then I'll go play some games and write down things for a game I'd like to make.

Yet there are no examples mentioned.

So aside from resurrecting the U.S. console market, starting the Japanese console market, and getting the Japanese heavily involved in console development, what else does the NES have?

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtXB...-moX_zQ/videos
    Starting with Fatal Labyrinth, they seem to have been putting videos out for the last 6 days or so, including the SoR2 one Phoenix posted, about the Genesis' 25th

This kid's been defending the Genesis throughout some of the dumber Youtube comment sections. Not the best overall screen presence, but he is enthusiastic about his love of video games.

Just a vid made for the 25th

One for the Spanish speakers. The guys speaking in English, but there's a louder Spanish dub over it.

This was actually about the Mega Drive's 25th.

P.S.: Here's to another 25 years of fanboys going at it
    Last edited by midnightrider; 08-14-2014 at 05:57 PM.

If you really want to celebrate the 25th anniversary of the Genesis launch in America, listen to the RadioSega podcast, where they interview me!

Click on the Sega Lounge (second from bottom). The interview is the at the bottom.

I can do the video thing too!

Increase the volume of your radio and enjoy this little tribute I made for this magnificent console. (Before you ask, yes it is incomplete)

Visit my youtube channel Pyron's Lair
    Take here all my hacks made with love for all of us here
    Want to help me? Here is my Patreon!

hitting up the Melf interview soon!

by the way, i'm blanking out: which game is this:

Quote Originally Posted by Gentlegamer View Post
    Genesis isn't even in the same ballpark in industry shaping as NES and PlayStation.
    - breaking nintendo's monopolistic extortion of devs
    - advancing/developing western studios long before xbox
    - pushing for older demographics long before sony
    - creating the ESRB, allowing devs more freedom/room from censorship at the time
    - Sega Channel quite a while before Playstation Now
    - first simultaneous worldwide release date (that i'm aware of)
    - the rise of entire genres like franchise sports, and pushing arcade sims in the living room

etc etc - nah man, the impact was tremendous.

Super Robot Raging in the Streets Obviously's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by IrishNinja View Post
    by the way, i'm blanking out: which game is this:

Gynoug/Wings of Wor

The influence of the Genesis shouldn't be understated, especially in the west. It completely changed the landscape as far as console wars were concerned, igniting the first seriously-close rivalry the industry had ever seen. It set the stage for the competitive atmosphere that followed and continues today.

Could you imagine a version of the world where Nintendo had not been knocked off their high horse? Would there even have been a PlayStation? Without pressure from Sega's gains in the US the SNES might not have even come out for several more years.
    Last edited by Obviously; 08-14-2014 at 08:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Obviously View Post
    Gynoug/Wings of Wor
    fuck, ive got that one too! shameful

Thread Information