Quantcast

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: An Essay on That Gangly Hedgehog

Whoa An Essay on That Gangly Hedgehog

Copied from my post on the Sega fourms

Quote Originally Posted by Miru
    Okay, so let's start with a bit of an introduction. After Sonic Unleashed and it's infamous Werehog, people regarded Sonic as a prime laughing stock. He was often made fun of, due to the poor and jarring alternate gameplay, hideously convoluted plots, garish character designs, and poor acting. However, many people still held some degree of hope; hope that Sonic would make a small comeback in retro style, supported by revivals of series such as Mega Man, Contra, and Bionic Commando. SEGA continued with their next game, Sonic and the Black Knight, but then they revealed "Project Needlemouse."

"Project Needlemouse" was gradually hyped over time, with several hints and alleged leaks of the game's content. Things came to a head with the character countdown, which "eliminated" several modern characters from the game. Ultimately, the game was revealed as the fabled Sonic the Hedgehog 4, and upon the first trailer, people were excited. However, with later trailers, the game ceased to lift up to the admittedly simple expectations.

The graphics looked incredibly plastic. The animation felt oddly wooden and lifeless. There were far too many gameplay gimmicks. The levels were poorly done. And worst of all, the physics were horrendous. When the game was finally released, many people were incredibly dissapointed with the final product. Not because of "green eyes" or "long legs", but because the game failed to live up to the admittedly simple standards set by the likes of Mega Man 9 and original games like Cave Story. There didn't seem to be any real story, the levels were horrendous, the music was poorly-orchestrated, and the game was very short.

And with that, the gaming public had enough of Sonic. If he couldn't do a retro revival, he definitely couldn't keep up with today's big games, and he faded away as even a laughingstock, only referenced in a retro context as if he was dead. Everything since has followed that statement, by being nothing more than simple, formulaic children's games not much different from the later Crash Bandicoot games or Bubsy. The stories especially feel like standard kids game plots, with inept villains, lots of dumb jokes, and no real characterization. Even the gameplay became overall shorter and often more gimmicky and generic.

Luckily, there is hope. There is hope in the form of not only spiritual successors to the olden days such as Freedom Planet and Spark the Electric Jester, but also many excellent fan-games such as Sonic World, LakeFeperd's trilogy of work (Before the Sequel, After the Sequel, and Chrono Adventure), SEGA Brawlers Megamix, Sonic: Edge of Darkness, and many more, along with several decent fanfiction works, such as Jarredspekter's "Sonic: Freedom Fighters" scripts. And also, Boom's storyline seems to be looking better than those of games such as Colors, with more and better character interaction, but the gameplay leaves much to be desired.
    So, what do you think?
    I demand a Blaze spinoff!

Me blog

Hope Exists

YM3438 Master! ESWAT Veteran evildragon's Avatar

What I think is, I only care about the game when I play it and could care less what other people think.
    Customized Sega Genesis Model 1 - VA3. Energy efficient with buck converters instead of LM7805's.

The latest games haven't been received poorly. They're pretty fun too. If anything, I'd prefer Sonic Team try new things rather than continue riding the retro wave. Mario is a prime example of what happens when you do that for too long.

If you're nostalgic for old games, go and play them. If you've played a Mario game in the last 18 years you've played them all.

I can't think of a Sonic game with bad music.

Sonic 4 sucked. Also it was made by Dimps.

I DON'T LIKE POKEMON Hero of Algol j_factor's Avatar

Sonic 4 was lame, but Colors was great, and was released like a month after 4. Sonic 4 didn't bring down the franchise.

You just can't handle my jawusumness responces.

Quote Originally Posted by Blades View Post
    The latest games haven't been received poorly. They're pretty fun too. If anything, I'd prefer Sonic Team try new things rather than continue riding the retro wave. Mario is a prime example of what happens when you do that for too long.

If you're nostalgic for old games, go and play them. If you've played a Mario game in the last 18 years you've played them all.

I can't think of a Sonic game with bad music.

Sonic 4 sucked. Also it was made by Dimps.
    2008-2014 is 18 years? Though he was scarcely my cup of tea to begin with.

Mario didn't become samey until NSMBW.

Quote Originally Posted by j_factor View Post
    Sonic 4 was lame, but Colors was great, and was released like a month after 4. Sonic 4 didn't bring down the franchise.
    Well, I didn't say it killed the series, just mutated it into primarily a children's franchise.

Me blog

Hope Exists

Outrunner

I think there's some truth to this. A lot of people are soured on the series. I mean, Generations kicked ass, and most people didn't seem to care.
    It may no longer be the `90s, but there is still time for Klax.

I DON'T LIKE POKEMON Hero of Algol j_factor's Avatar

Well, I still don't really see it. Sonic Generations came later, was a retro revival, and was very well-received.

Though, Sonic Boom does look to be oriented towards the younger set, for sure. But that's because it's based on a children's TV show. Does Lost World fit that same mold? I never really got that impression, though I haven't played it.

You just can't handle my jawusumness responces.

Hero of Algol

Sonic fanboys... Who needs them?

Super Robot Raging in the Streets Obviously's Avatar

What is it with people's obsession to see Sonic as a big AAA title on top of the world again? Who cares?

Sonic as a character is as popular as ever. Maybe his games are not as recognized by "hardcore" gamers but to be gruelingly honest only small fraction of Sonic games were really, truly great. And even among those same gamers people have recognized the series has made a turnaround in the last few years.

What really gets me, and I've seen more than Miru make this absurd claim, is this illusion that Sonic is "kiddy" now. As opposed to what? When was Sonic NOT for kids exactly? I think it's the gamers that have grown out of Sonic's demographic and not the way around. Could they do better and be more appealing to all ages? Sure, and I think they did an excellent job of that in Colors and Generations.

I'm so sick of these 80's and 90's adults who get pissed when their favorite children's franchises (not just Sonic fans) are revived and made... for children (gasp!). You know... like the ORIGINAL one they fell in love with was in the first place. Take off the nostalgia blinders. Sonic is for kids because Sonic has always been for kids.

HNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNG Raging in the Streets Moirai's Avatar

Why is every miru thread about sonic?

Super Robot Raging in the Streets Obviously's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AlecRob View Post
    Why is every miru thread about sonic?
    Well there was one about Darkstalkers.

HNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNG Raging in the Streets Moirai's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Obviously View Post
    Well there was one about Darkstalkers.
    Oh please don't remind me of that thread...

Road Rasher

Quote Originally Posted by Barone View Post
    Sonic fanboys... Who needs them?
    we do other wise this forum and site would be shut down and be replaced by 3do fan boys, their desperate and mostly drunk... try telling them that halo never came out on the 3do

Quote Originally Posted by Obviously View Post
    What is it with people's obsession to see Sonic as a big AAA title on top of the world again? Who cares?

Sonic as a character is as popular as ever. Maybe his games are not as recognized by "hardcore" gamers but to be gruelingly honest only small fraction of Sonic games were really, truly great. And even among those same gamers people have recognized the series has made a turnaround in the last few years.

What really gets me, and I've seen more than Miru make this absurd claim, is this illusion that Sonic is "kiddy" now. As opposed to what? When was Sonic NOT for kids exactly? I think it's the gamers that have grown out of Sonic's demographic and not the way around. Could they do better and be more appealing to all ages? Sure, and I think they did an excellent job of that in Colors and Generations.

I'm so sick of these 80's and 90's adults who get pissed when their favorite children's franchises (not just Sonic fans) are revived and made... for children (gasp!). You know... like the ORIGINAL one they fell in love with was in the first place. Take off the nostalgia blinders. Sonic is for kids because Sonic has always been for kids.
    Well, it's because the Modern Era plots tend to pander to children. Good kids shows rarely do that. You should watch some Mr. Enter videos some time.

Me blog

Hope Exists

not a real fan Raging in the Streets old man's Avatar

There are a lot of Sonic games out there from just the past ten years, so somebody is playing them and enjoying them enough to keep them being made. Same with Mario. If anyone at Sega or Nintendo ever do read any of this they they're probably scratching their heads wondering what all the doom and gloom is about.

Thread Information