Quantcast

Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: Why did Snes sold more games than Genesis?

not a real fan Raging in the Streets old man's Avatar

Sega sold more arcade games.

I remain nonsequitur Shining Hero sheath's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Folco View Post
    I phrased it wrong.
    What I meant is that both Nintendo and Sega believed that a strong (software-wise) platform-holder was what driven a system adoption.
    They let third-parties on board in exchange of royalties but third-parties were basically seen as competitors, there were very little incentives to help them out.
    This reasoning was perfectly understandable for a gaming company however Sony, a non-gaming company, changed the cards on the table (Sony wasn't aiming to become the biggest publisher in the world, they barely had any development team at the beginning).
    After the nineties it was Nintendo the one seen as the oddity (nowadays the whole "traditional" console business seems obsolete).
    This I completely agree with based on current evidence. Third parties should have been able to expect better documentation than it seems they got on the hardware though. I haven't looked into Nintendo, but the games show that third parties figured out their tech just fine over the years. Sega basically gave away their internal software development tech after a limited time from what I can tell. Especially 80s and early 90s, Sega didn't much have a leg to stand on without bending over backwards for third parties.
    "... If Sony reduced the price of the Playstation, Sega would have to follow suit in order to stay competitive, .... would then translate into huge losses for the company." p170 Revolutionaries at Sony.

"We ... put Sega out of the hardware business ..." Peter Dille senior vice president of marketing at Sony Computer Entertainment

"Sega tried to have similarly strict licensing agreements as Nintendo...The only reason it didn't take off was because EA..." TrekkiesUnite

Raging in the Streets SEGA.GENESIS1989's Avatar

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by TrekkiesUnite118 View Post
    I challenge you to find a single quote from any Nintendo Developer or Executive saying the same thing. Just because Sega didn't flat out say that (to my knowledge) doesn't mean that it wasn't their goal. They're a business, their main goal is to make more money than their competitors. How do you do that? You aim to have the higher marketshare than your competitors by selling more product.

This isn't rocket science sheath. Take off the rose colored glasses and accept reality. If Sega had gotten to the market before Nintendo, they probably would have tried similar practices. In fact they did try stricter licensing to third parties but developers like EA reverse engineered their hardware and basically held Sega at ransom to get a better license agreement.

Sega isn't a shining example of good you know. Did you ever wonder why Konami was so reluctant to release games on Sega's Hardware? Ever wonder why when they did it was scraps compared to what other platforms got? Go look up the controversy with Frogger. Basically Konami made the game and Sega published it outside of Japan and took all credit for it and as a result almost all the royalties and money from it. Konami basically had to buy the rights to their own game back from Sega. There's still people to this day who think Sega made Frogger.
    Trekkies, you make some good points. But likewise one cannot presume that SEGA would have trodden down the same path as Nintendo had it entered into the gaming market first. Yes it is true that businesses/corporations are in fact profit maximizers but to what extent is left up to the shareholders/management. For example a corporation or business (such as SNK) can choose to target a niche market rather than to directly compete for market share. It should be noted that a business or corporation's (immediate) goal can shift within a given (fiscal) quarter. On that basis, I don't think one can totally discount sheath's position on the matter.
    "There's nothing to fear, except fear itself"
    http://i1054.photobucket.com/albums/s486/link2link2link/YUZOKOSHIROISAGODNEOSEEDEDITION.gif

I remain nonsequitur Shining Hero sheath's Avatar

Now that I am forced to see Trekkie's argumentative tripe I think I will add one thing. Sega isn't and wasn't the model for anything. The only thing that is true by all accounts is that Sega never targeted dominance in any console generation, and rarely if ever used similar tactics as Nintendo, Sony, Microsoft, EA or Activision have_consistenly used against other game developers.
    "... If Sony reduced the price of the Playstation, Sega would have to follow suit in order to stay competitive, .... would then translate into huge losses for the company." p170 Revolutionaries at Sony.

"We ... put Sega out of the hardware business ..." Peter Dille senior vice president of marketing at Sony Computer Entertainment

"Sega tried to have similarly strict licensing agreements as Nintendo...The only reason it didn't take off was because EA..." TrekkiesUnite

Quote Originally Posted by paulojr_mam View Post
    I mean, they say Genesis sales are estimated on 40 million and Snes 49 million
    Does this figure include the Sega 32X and Sega CD games?

It's systems sales not games.

Also, overall numbers would be cool about the Mega-CD & 32X.

Quote Originally Posted by PHANTOM2040 View Post
    Does this figure include the Sega 32X and Sega CD games?
    That figure is worthless because the method behind it is questionable (to say the least).
    For old consoles the only reliable data is the shipment provided by the manufacturer, unfortunately Sega was never as open as Nintendo in sharing those figures.

Quote Originally Posted by SpaceHarrier View Post
    It's systems sales not games.

Also, overall numbers would be cool about the Mega-CD & 32X.
    Indeed, I confess I've read a report by CESA (Japanese gaming association) with the worldwide shipment for Mega Drive and a few other systems.
    But I'm still doubtful about the figure (about how "up to date" it is, not the correctness).

If you don't mind japanese sales:
    SG-1000: 400K
    Mark III: 700K
    Master System: 340K
    Mega Drive: 3,58M
    Game Gear: 1,78M
    Mega CD: 400K
    Saturn: 5,90M
    Dreamcast: 2,80M
    Last edited by Folco; 09-04-2014 at 09:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by TrekkiesUnite118 View Post
    Did you ever wonder why Konami was so reluctant to release games on Sega's Hardware? Ever wonder why when they did it was scraps compared to what other platforms got?
    To be fair, what they gave the Genesis was golden (Hard Corps, Bloodlines). The quality more than makes up for the quantity. =)

Quote Originally Posted by SEGA.GENESIS1989 View Post
    Trekkies, you make some good points. But likewise one cannot presume that SEGA would have trodden down the same path as Nintendo had it entered into the gaming market first. Yes it is true that businesses/corporations are in fact profit maximizers but to what extent is left up to the shareholders/management. For example a corporation or business (such as SNK) can choose to target a niche market rather than to directly compete for market share. It should be noted that a business or corporation's (immediate) goal can shift within a given (fiscal) quarter. On that basis, I don't think one can totally discount sheath's position on the matter.
    Except there's already two examples that discount sheath's position. Hell the entire 16-bit console war discounts sheath's position. If Sega's goal wasn't capturing Nintendo's market and dominating why would Sega have used such aggressive advertisements that flat out confronted Nintendo? And that advertising style was still there in the Saturn days and the Dreamcast days. If Sega's goal wasn't to dominate the market they were in why were they using ads like this:

Quote Originally Posted by sheath View Post
    Now that I am forced to see Trekkie's argumentative tripe I think I will add one thing. Sega isn't and wasn't the model for anything. The only thing that is true by all accounts is that Sega never targeted dominance in any console generation, and rarely if ever used similar tactics as Nintendo, Sony, Microsoft, EA or Activision have_consistenly used against other game developers.
    Oh so you were a higher up at Sega during those years and have first hand knowledge that Sega decided not to try and sell more Consoles and Software, or make more money than their competitors? Do you have any idea how absurd that sounds? At the end of the day Video games are a business, and Sega was and still is a company in that business. They exist to make money by selling video games. It's not crazy or unreasonable to come to the conclusion that their goal would be to make more money than their competitors.

I have no doubt that Sega targeted market dominance in every console generation they were in. Unfortunately they failed to achieve that in just about every console generation they participated in. If Sega wasn't trying to get market dominance or make money why do you think they stopped making consoles? Why would they have had such an aggressive ad campaign against Nintendo?

And you keep saying "Similar Tactics" and "Anti-Competitive Tactics" but you never actually define what they are. Quit using buzzwords and actually cite examples.

Here's two sobering facts for you that torpedo your idea that Sega never did anything underhanded or wrong:

1) Sega tried to have similarly strict licensing agreements as Nintendo when they first launched the Genesis in the US. The only reason it didn't take off was because EA reverse engineered the hardware and blackmailed Sega into giving them a better licensing agreement.

2) Back in 1981 Konami made a game called Frogger. Because Konami had no US branch at the time Sega distributed it for them. However Sega went into the game and replaced all mentions of Konami with Sega and there was no mention of Konami anywhere in the game or on the cabinets. Sega also took all the rights to the game outside of Japan, so any port licenses, royalties, etc. all went to Sega instead of Konami who made the game. Sega basically claimed ownership and took credit for a game they didn't make. It wasn't until the the late 90's that Konami was finally able to buy the IP back from Sega.

Hows that for anti-competitive tactics? I'm sure if we really start digging we'll find even more.

Hero of Algol

The only thing that is true by all accounts is that Sega never targeted dominance in any console generation,
    Sources?
    Bummer. Just the same lunatic biased revisionist shit as always.

and rarely if ever used similar tactics as Nintendo, Sony, Microsoft, EA or Activision have_consistenly used against other game developers.
    Sega vs Accolade? Atari vs Sega? Blast Processing campaign? Reality check???

Master of Shinobi midnightrider's Avatar

I'm not saying this about anyone here, just an observation, but anyone that would argue that these companies aren't businesses, and don't have their slimy tactics, would be fanboys of the highest degree.

I'd wager the Genesis has a lot more games that just didn't break a million, than the SNES did, but those games don't get recognition, outside of being favorites without knowing how much they sold.

Strictly speaking about North America here, the Genesis had an uphill struggle, and Sega had to establish themselves here, as Nintendo did with the NES. The SNES was going to hit the ground running due to the NES, which essentially had the market to itself(whether you were one of the few that had a Master System or not). Notice the top 8 selling SNES games are Mario, Donkey Kong, and Zelda. Without DKC selling on the merit of it's graphics, DK was already a major name in Nintendo's history, and even if they weren't million breakers individually, Donkey Kong, Donkey Kong Jr., and Donkey Kong Classics were still major NES titles.

Anyway, I'm still not sure what relevance of topics like these even are.

Quote Originally Posted by midnightrider View Post
    Notice the top 8 selling SNES games are Mario, Donkey Kong, and Zelda.
    If you are referring to the list I posted in the previous page, please note that was only for Nintendo-published games.
    For example companies like Capcom, Squaresoft and Enix had multi-million sellers on SNES too.

Without DKC selling on the merit of it's graphics, DK was already a major name in Nintendo's history, and even if they weren't million breakers individually, Donkey Kong, Donkey Kong Jr., and Donkey Kong Classics were still major NES titles.
    On the contrary, they did break a million on NES:

Master of Shinobi midnightrider's Avatar

Alright, so Wikipedia needs some revising. Come to think of it, where are you getting your charts from?

Alright, so Wikipedia needs some revising. Come to think of it, where are you getting your charts from?
    It's shipment data by Nintendo.
    For the specific cases I posted the data was reported by CESA.

EDIT:
    For those that don't know what's CESA:
    http://www.cesa.or.jp/index.php?page=en_profile1
    Last edited by Folco; 09-04-2014 at 12:31 PM.

I don't know why people still insist in creating these Snes x Genesis threads.

Nothing good ever comes out of it.

Thread Information