Quantcast

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chuck Rock 2: Son of Chuck

Default Chuck Rock 2: Son of Chuck

You've obviously not had enough prehistoric gaming fun, so we're tossing another Chuck Rock review at you! This time, Chuck's son is the star, and it soon becomes apparent that his young age and inexperience do him in. No amount of cuteness can keep his console debut from stinking like yesterday's diapers. Son of Chuck makes a good argument for platforming Darwinism, and there's a reason why some franchises are extinct. There! I've used up all my baby and prehistoric cliches, so why not just read the full review before I think of some more?
    Last edited by Melf; 07-20-2011 at 08:59 AM.

I am displeased with the graphics of Chuck Jr. himself. He looks like some sort of weird alien. What an insipid little thing.

Chenjesu of the Alliance Outrunner megabomberman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by zebbe
    To regain health, you pick up bottles filled with breast milk.
    Well I don't know what other kind of milk was around in the b.cs, formula perhaps?

But no honestly good review zebbe, I always look forward to your entries, very accurate, poor game this, wouldn't want to showcase the beauty of 16-bit gaming with this outing.

If you are a flaming vegan, I think you drink milk that grows on trees or from plants or some weird crap.

Proud 16-bit War Veteran ESWAT Veteran David J.'s Avatar

I laughed when I read about that Vegan couple that got life for the death of their baby:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/18574603/
    The smell of scorched oil hangs in the air as a premonition of danger, while the engine gloriously shouts its war cry...

Throughout history, suspicion has always bred conflict. The real conflict, though, resides in people's hearts. This conflict has just begun.

nes x-men nes x-men nes x-men

Quote Originally Posted by megabomberman
    Well I don't know what other kind of milk was around in the b.cs, formula perhaps?
    In this game, goat milk at least. :P

But no honestly good review zebbe, I always look forward to your entries, very accurate, poor game this, wouldn't want to showcase the beauty of 16-bit gaming with this outing.
    Thanks! Another feature is coming up soon. Looking forward to read your stuff, btw .
    And yeah, there are so many good versatile platformers on the system people should skip this one.

Quote Originally Posted by David J.
    I laughed when I read about that Vegan couple that got life for the death of their baby:
    I felt sorry for the child . But on the plus side, no animals were killed when feeding the baby.
    New user who wants access to the forum? PM Melf!

I DON'T LIKE POKEMON Hero of Algol j_factor's Avatar

That vegan couple must've been doing something seriously wrong, beyond simply not using milk. It's not uncommon for babies to be raised on soy formula (like if they're lactose-intolerant), and they certainly don't all die. Although, apparently that baby was fed soy milk, not formula. Even then, a baby won't die of starvation as long as it's fed enough of something, whatever it is, as long as it has calories.

Anyway, I thought Chuck Rock 2 was okay enough. Nothing brilliant, but worth playing.

You just can't handle my jawusumness responces.

Chenjesu of the Alliance Outrunner megabomberman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Zebbe
    In this game, goat milk at least. :P
    Where in the goat does the milk come from??

Getting very technical here........

Can a baby's lactose-intolerance include its own mother's breast milk? I assume they did it because of their vegan ideology, which is retarded.

Hmm... Goat milk. Scratch that. It's starting to be like that christian unlicensed game where you collect male cows.

Surprised these two Chuck reviews weren't used for a theme week. I'm surprised by the poor review of Son of Chuck's graphics because they are pretty good. Multi-jointed bosses, fake spotlight effects, huge sprites, nice animation, etc. really push the Genesis well and are its one noteworthy achievement I think. It's also a much more action oriented and faster game than the original, and I think that makes it the more enjoyable of the Chuck games, though that's not saying much.

Yeah, this game looks and sounds pretty good! I actually thought you would praise this after playing a game like Wiz 'n Liz and digging the soundtrack in that game.
    I'm not sure what to say about the gameplay because I haven't played it in a while, but I loved it as a kid. Sure the bossfights were too simple, but they usually were even in the best platform games of the time.
    I thought the interaction with different animals was a nice touch, and why would it need more dinosaurs really? Monkeys are more fun.
    I have a feeling the awesome Yoshi's Island for SNES took some ideas from this game.

I'd give it at least a 6/10. It's a decent improvement upon the mediocre prequel.
    I think it's slightly better on the Amiga though, but I've only seen vids of it on youtube..

Pity rep is still rep. Raging in the Streets Mr Smith's Avatar

I remember this game being reviewed in STC and thinking, as a young sprog, it looked awesome. I've actually never played this one so I'm in no position to comment.

Quote Originally Posted by Kamahl
    You my lord, are a poet and a scholar. Of death.

I think it would be more fitting with dinosaurs than monkeys because of the Flintstonesish theme. All in all, the design isn't really that bad, but just very uninspired with few things you haven't seen before. I don't think the soundtrack is similar to the one of Wiz 'n' Liz at all, but the MS version is actually better than this one. Anyway, there are gazillions of better platformers than this one for the system, so the slightly less than average grade is partly because of that too.

Miyamoto was told to make Yoshi's Island similar to DKC, which pissed him off. So the animal-riding is probably borrowed from there, not this game. Maybe DKC borrowed it from this game. After all, both are British developers.

Well I'll just disagree about the design which I find charming and original.
    There aren't a gazillion of good platformers for the system :P More like 30-40, not counting action games like Shinobi.
    The soundtrack does sound like other european titles but of course the tracks are different. At least they're more original than the 3 or so variations of the standard blues format found in Chuck Rock.

The animal riding is probably derived from SMW or even SMB3. I was thinking about the main character being a baby, crying when you get hurt, and the game being full of monkeys and other cute animal characters.

I got the SCD Version, the game is really difficult for me. Why theres no password system like in part 1 ?
    1 XB360, 1 md2, 1 mcd2, 1 snes, 1 ms adapter, 1 Nes, 2Gamegears (for playing sor co op)
    http://soundcloud.com/djtwok

Thread Information