Quantcast

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Exact number of officially released games ?

Quote Originally Posted by chilled View Post
    Updated OP, thanks Sik. Where's that offline mode? Couldn't find it myself in the japanese menu...
    I'd need to recheck (long ago since I last ran it) but I think it was the third option? it's the second option, then fourth option. You get an empty board in this mode and then you can place pieces taking turns (note that both players share the controller).

I believe San San refuses to start a game until you initialized memory though, even in off-line mode for some dumb reason (to initialize memory you need to go to the fourth option, then second, then first). So you need to take care of that before you can play.

San San also seems to have some messaging system for some reason. Also it can get full (just by writing messages yourself, no need to send anything) and make the game crash -_-

EDIT: off-line mode

And if you ever need to clear memory:
    Last edited by Sik; 01-10-2018 at 09:06 PM.

Updated OP, thanks Sik. Where's that offline mode? Couldn't find it myself in the japanese menu...

I'm hesitant with The Great EWJ Race.

Will include Tectoy games in a different list in the OP. Is there more info or a complete list somewhere? Ideally with year of release
    Would Blockbuster World Video Game Championship II be a distinct game, or just a compilation? In BWVGCII, you play a round of each of the two games to obtain a point score.

Master of Shinobi

Quote Originally Posted by miru View Post
    Would Blockbuster World Video Game Championship II be a distinct game, or just a compilation? In BWVGCII, you play a round of each of the two games to obtain a point score.
    Oh and here's my answer the EWJ dilemma... thanks for mentioning BWVGCII as I'd never consider it a distinct game from NBA Jam and Judge Dredd. Having a point system/competition added with almost no additional screens doesn't make them different games. I'd like to keep the spirit of this list centered around how many games zere released in total. Software marketed as games and vice versa are headache inducing enough...
    Lists of MD games: officially licensed (~925) @ cart sizes @ Top 5 @ Top 250 @ Sonic hacks @ best title screens @ Arcade ports (150) @ best European games

I found out about at least five undumped Sega Game Toshokan games, to join the six undumped Sega Channel ones (plus some software)

http://forums.sonicretro.org/index.p...0&#entry919036

Kinetic Connection ① Nei Second (きねちっく★こねくしょん①ネイ・セカンド) [Puzzle] , 1991
    Kinetic Connection ② O hanaba take (きねちっく★こねくしょん②お花ばたけ) [Puzzle], 1991
    Kinetic Connection ③ Shirogane wa warau yo (きねちっく★こねくしょん③白銀は笑うよ) [Puzzle] , 1991
    Kinetic Connection ④ Mogura no o asobi (きねちっく★こねくしょん④モグラのお遊び) [Puzzle], 1991
    Kinetic Connection ⑤ Lightning Nei (きねちっく★こねくしょん⑤ライトニング・ネイ) [Puzzle], 1991

Pyramid Magic Yokokuhen (Trailer) (ピラミッドマジック予告編) [Puzzle], 1990
    Pyramid Magic Editor (ピラミッドマジック・エディタ) [Puzzle], 1991
    Pyramid Magic Sōshūhen (Summary) (ピラミッドマジック総集編) [Puzzle], 1992

Sega Music Collection Phantasy Star Ⅲ (セガ・ミュージックコレクション ファンタシースターⅢ) [Other], 1991
    Sega Music Collection Bonanza Brothers (セガ・ミュージックコレクション ボナンザブラザーズ) [Other], 1991
    Sega Music Collection Sonic the Hedgehog (セガ・ミュージックコレクション ソニック・ザ・ヘッジホッグ) [Other], 1991

Taiketsu! Columns (対決!こらむす) [Puzzle], 1991
    The short-lived Japanese Sega Channel adds two more to that list (that have actually been dumped!), plus one more US Sega channel game that disappeared:

Planet Message Quiz

Nyuushi Chokuzen Check Nanmon Kimon Kiki Kaikai

Berenstain Bears' A School Day (Pico game running on Genesis hardwares?)

http://forums.sonicretro.org/index.p...c=25935&st=255
    Last edited by miru; 01-17-2018 at 12:21 AM.

Sega Music Collection Phantasy Star Ⅲ (セガ・ミュージックコレクション ファンタシースターⅢ) [Other], 1991
    Sega Music Collection Bonanza Brothers (セガ・ミュージックコレクション ボナンザブラザーズ) [Other], 1991
    Sega Music Collection Sonic the Hedgehog (セガ・ミュージックコレクション ソニック・ザ・ヘッジホッグ) [Other], 1991
    Seems like Sega was doing the same thing that was done with Chrono Trigger on BS-X.

Worth noting that the games we already have aren't even proper dumps, they come from some Japan-only compilation that included emulated versions of all games but the games were modified to play nice with the emulator (also they're all appended to the base Toshokan ROM, which not only was modified to boot straight into the games but also itself sees minor changes across each game, e.g. sometimes the 68000 vectors are different).

Berenstain Bears' A School Day (Pico game running on Genesis hardwares?)

http://forums.sonicretro.org/index.p...c=25935&st=255
    Odd choice but I guess the Pico couldn't access Sega Channel ;P Still kind of odd that they'd put it up for preview there.

Porting a Pico game to MD shouldn't be that hard if you have the source code though (assuming it's not utter trash). The ADPCM chip from the Pico is missing on the MD, but on the other hand the MD has the Z80 and YM2612 (which the Pico doesn't) so they could be given the task to play speech. ROM, RAM and VDP are exactly the same so no need to mess with those. Then after that it essentially boils down to adapting the controls.

Quote Originally Posted by Sik View Post
    Seems like Sega was doing the same thing that was done with Chrono Trigger on BS-X.

Worth noting that the games we already have aren't even proper dumps, they come from some Japan-only compilation that included emulated versions of all games but the games were modified to play nice with the emulator (also they're all appended to the base Toshokan ROM, which not only was modified to boot straight into the games but also itself sees minor changes across each game, e.g. sometimes the 68000 vectors are different).

Odd choice but I guess the Pico couldn't access Sega Channel ;P Still kind of odd that they'd put it up for preview there.

Porting a Pico game to MD shouldn't be that hard if you have the source code though (assuming it's not utter trash). The ADPCM chip from the Pico is missing on the MD, but on the other hand the MD has the Z80 and YM2612 (which the Pico doesn't) so they could be given the task to play speech. ROM, RAM and VDP are exactly the same so no need to mess with those. Then after that it essentially boils down to adapting the controls.
    I was thinking that those were sound-test things, but an alternate OST to Sonic 1 that's been long-lost is intriguing enough.
    I demand a Blaze spinoff!

Me blog

Hope Exists

Well, the Chrono Trigger one I mentioned is literally a sound test (no new tracks aside from those that were already in the game but unused), so I wouldn't be surprised if this is different. Although it seems kind of pointless for Sonic 1 since it had a sound test readily available (sure, behind a cheat code, but it was pretty well known by then and accessible immediately from the title screen).

I wonder why Magical Hat (Japanese) is the default for it and Decap Attack (world) while itís vice versa for Puyo? And Outback Joey is undumped, much like the missing Channel and Toshokan games.
    Last edited by miru; 02-02-2018 at 03:31 PM.

Master of Shinobi

I wonder why Magical Hat (Japanese) is the default for it and Decap Attack (world) while itís vice versa for Puyo? And Outback Joey is undumped, much like the missing Channel and Toshokan games.
    no reason: I just counted Robotnik first and the debate on whether Puyo 1 is a distinct game came after the 900+ game numbering (on alphabetical order). Outback Joey is not the only undumped game on the list. Being released on cart or being dumped is not a requirement to be on this list. Being game-ish is, though, so thee music collections are not making it.

As for the Tectoy 40-in-1 games, at least two of them are russian pirates/homebrews I already had played (Chess and Bomber, which look to be the best by far) but we'll consider them as licensed I guess...

I updated OP to reflect those contributions, thanks. Now it's more like 925 games (968 if you count 3 doubious Pyramid Magic roms and the 40 Devwokrs/Tectoy crappy flash ports).
    Last edited by chilled; 05-09-2018 at 10:20 AM.
    Lists of MD games: officially licensed (~925) @ cart sizes @ Top 5 @ Top 250 @ Sonic hacks @ best title screens @ Arcade ports (150) @ best European games

no reason: I just counted Robotnik first and the debate on whether Puyo 1 is a distinct game came after the 900+ game numbering (on alphabetical order). Outback Joey is not the only undumped game on the list. Being released on cart or being dumped is not a requirement to be on this list. Being game-ish is, though, so thee music collections are not making it.

As for the Tectoy 40-in-1 games, at least two of them are russian pirates/homebrews I already had played (Chess and Bomber, which look to be the best by far) but we'll consider them as licensed I guess...

I updated OP to reflect those contributions, thanks. Now it's more like 925 games (968 if you count 3 doubious Pyramid Magic roms and the 40 Devwokrs/Tectoy crappy flash ports).
    Youíre welcome! And what I meant to say is that it is odd that Outback Joey is not mentioned to be undumped unlike the missing downloadable games.
    I demand a Blaze spinoff!

Me blog

Hope Exists

Master of Shinobi

oh right, I missed this. Done and slightly updated OP
    Last edited by chilled; 09-12-2018 at 01:01 PM.

Master of Shinobi

Updated OP to reflect new licensed games and some I had missed. Now 929.

EDIT: as requested, I'm adding Tec Toy's shovelware games, listed. But not the ones that required additional hardware CPU (Java), only the mobile ports that do work on original hardware + emus + flashcarts. They were released as pack-ins either on Mega Drive 3 or 4, though some of them are Master System games, but I'm counting them as they were released for the system, just as Phantasy Star I on a japanese MD cart at the time.
    Last edited by chilled; 04-24-2020 at 06:36 PM.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingSports Talker

Couple things I found:
    1) You seem to be missing F1 (NA: Formula One) - SegaRetro page

2) I think these two are duplicates:
    234. F1 World Championship
    235. F1 World Championship Edition

3) I think "Fire Pro Wrestling Gaiden" (255) is a mistake; there was a "Fire Pro Gaiden" on the Saturn (SegaRetro), but the Mega Drive entry from this series is "Thunder Pro Wrestling Retsuden" (which isn't on your list): SegaRetro and Wiki pages

4) This one's a nitpick, but if you're using NA releases as first priority (over EU/JP/etc), the NA release of "The Legend of Galahad" (378) is just called "Galahad"
    Last edited by billybob884; 06-15-2020 at 04:28 PM.

Master of Shinobi

Quote Originally Posted by billybob884 View Post
    Couple things I found:
    1) You seem to be missing F1 (NA: Formula One) - SegaRetro page

2) I think these two are duplicates:
    234. F1 World Championship
    235. F1 World Championship Edition

3) I think "Fire Pro Wrestling Gaiden" (255) is a mistake; there was a "Fire Pro Gaiden" on the Saturn (SegaRetro), but the Mega Drive entry from this series is "Thunder Pro Wrestling Retsuden" (which isn't on your list): SegaRetro and Wiki pages

4) This one's a nitpick, but if you're using NA releases as first priority (over EU/JP/etc), the NA release of "The Legend of Galahad" (378) is just called "Galahad"
    1) F1 is there on 234. but you are right, it's just called F1, I think I inherited the World Championship moniker from a No-Intro/GoodGen incorrect naming (which happens a lot).
    2) F1 WCE is its sequel but was not released in the US and is probably the best F1 game on the system; it's a shame it is not well known (as most non-Genesis non-shooter games). There's not even a review on the site.
    3) You're right, I just kept the name under which the series is known for, but was refering to Thunder... obviously. Fixing it
    4) updated, thanks. Anyway correct naming is not the main priority here, just a name which is recognizable for most.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingSports Talker

Hi again, I found a few more things:

1) "Rainbow Islands: The Story of Bubble Bobble 2" [594] is a Master System game; the sequel "Rainbow Islands Extra" (which isn't on your list) is the Mega Drive entry for the series. [Segaretro]

2) You have "San San" listed twice [632] & [900]

3) I didn't see Chavez II listed, was that a miss or on purpose due to it being a rebranding of Boxing Legends of the Ring [90]? Given some of your other inclusions, you should probably add this as well (John Madden '93 [395] & Championship edition [917] as separate games, both versions of Klax [901 & 369], both versions of Marble Madness [408 & 902], Poyo Poyo [916] & Mean Bean Machine [195], and Super League 91 [725] & MLBPA Sports Talk Baseball [675] )

4) For "High School Soccer - Kunio Kun" [308], I couldn't find this exact title anywhere, is this the same as "Nekketsu Kouko Dodgeball Bu: Soccer Hen MD" ? [Segaretro]

5) Another one with a mismatching title, "Mamono Hunter Yohko - Makai Kara no Tenkosei" [406]. [Segaretro] , [Wiki]

Also, regarding your comment on Outback Joey: "game that apparently can be played without the accessory",
    Does this mean your list's qualification is a game must be playable without accessories (other than a standard 3/6 button controller)? Because that's not the case for a few titles (OBJ, Miracle Piano, and Menacer, to name a few)
    Last edited by billybob884; 06-23-2020 at 12:29 PM.

Thread Information