Quantcast

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: Exact number of officially released games ?

Master of Shinobi

Quote Originally Posted by billybob884 View Post
    Hi again, I found a few more things:
    1) "Rainbow Islands: The Story of Bubble Bobble 2" [594] is a Master System game; the sequel "Rainbow Islands Extra" (which isn't on your list) is the Mega Drive entry for the series. Segaretro
    2) You have "San San" listed twice [632] & [900]
    3) I didn't see Chavez II listed, was that a miss or on purpose due to it being a rebranding of Boxing Legends of the Ring [90]? Given some of your other inclusions you should probably include it (John Madden '93 [395] & Championship edition [917] as separate games, both versions of Klax [901 & 369], both versions of Marble Madness [408 & 902], Poyo Poyo [916] & Mean Bean Machine [195], and Super League 91 [725] & MLBPA Sports Talk Baseball [675] )
    4) For "High School Soccer - Kunio Kun" [308], I couldn't find this exact title anywhere, is this the same as "Nekketsu Kouko Dodgeball Bu: Soccer Hen MD" ? Segaretro
    5) Another one with a mismatching title, "Mamono Hunter Yohko - Makai Kara no Tenkosei" [406]. Segaretro , Wiki
    Also, regarding your comment for Outback Joey: "game that apparently can be played without the accessory"
    is your list's qualification that a game must be playable without accessories (like a standard controller)? Because that's not the case for a few titles on your list (OBJ included)
    Thanks for improving this!

1) & 4) & 5) just a name correction, done
    2) damn, I'm leaving 632 and will re-number the last ones at a later time
    3) I won't consider them separate games (see Elitserien, Mario Basler , etc. though I reckon you point at those difficult cases. Anyway Marble Madness & Klax were programmed by different companies and show big differences in them. Same for Puyo & Robotnik, Decap Attack, etc. Let me look a bit more into the 2 sports games clashes you mention.

As for OBJ, someone said it can be played with stock joypad. What games on the list would not be playable ?

Down to 928 games

EDIT: Baseball games: I'm following Sega Retro most if not all the time. Music is replaced by commentary, which makes the game quite different, that's why I listed both. Madden: Sega Retro lists them separately and this very site published distinct reviews for each one. The update on 93 C.E. is rooster (classic teams, proper colors) and increased difficulty so I consider it almost as the same level of update between 97-98 iteration's of the sports games on the system.
    Source:
    http://www.rfgeneration.com/blogs/re...Games-2854.php
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_M...Football_%2793
    and that Joe Redifer's comment which I won't dare to contradict
    Last edited by chilled; 06-23-2020 at 10:23 AM.
    Lists of MD games: officially licensed (~925) @ cart sizes @ Top 5 @ Top 250 @ Sonic hacks @ best title screens @ Arcade ports (150) @ best European games

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingSports Talker

Quote Originally Posted by chilled View Post
    3) I won't consider them separate games (see Elitserien, Mario Basler , etc. though I reckon you point at those difficult cases. Anyway Marble Madness & Klax were programmed by different companies and show big differences in them. Same for Puyo & Robotnik, Decap Attack, etc. Let me look a bit more into the 2 sports games clashes you mention.
    Yea, I guess Chavez makes sense comparing to Elitserien.

Klax I'll begrudgingly give you due to the multiplayer and gameplay settings differences, but for Marble Madness "big differences" is a stretch; I get they're by different companies, but really all that's different is the title card, some colors, and I think they use different sound drivers. The gameplay feels the same, and level layouts/enemy placement all appear identical (at least for the first few levels, didn't 100% both games to check). Your list though, up to you.

Quote Originally Posted by chilled View Post
    As for OBJ, someone said it can be played with stock joypad. What games on the list would not be playable?
    So again, this raises the question of whether you want to require a game to be playable with a standard 3/6 button controller in addition to other optional peripherals:
    1) Outback Joey (898) - This is not playable with a standard 3/6 button controller, and won't actually boot at all without the "processor" peripheral/controller plugged into port 1. You can, however, play OBJ (with the processor/controller peripheral) on any standard model 1/2/3 NTSC-US Genesis (not sure about NTSC-JP or PAL Mega Drives); internally, the heartbeat console it comes with is just a standard model 1 Genesis, rebranded with a fancy new shell.
    2) Menacer 6-in-1 (905) - This will boot without the gun/receiver plugged in, but you can't navigate the menus or actually play any of the games with a standard controller (unlike Lethal Enforcers or other Justifier-compatible games).
    3) Miracle Piano (897) - Similar to the above, this will boot without the piano controller plugged in, and actually requires a standard controller to navigate the menus, but you need the piano to actually play any of the mini-games.

I thought there was a fourth item, but I apparently didn't write it down (d'oh!) and I can't spot it off-hand; I'll reply back if I remember it.

Notable though, is that they're all Sega-licensed products, and (arguably) all games, so I'd hate to exclude them based on just the controller requirements alone; personally I'd recommend just specifying that a game must play on a standard Sega console without the use of the CD or 32X accessory, irregardless of control mechanism, but again, your list.
    Last edited by billybob884; 06-23-2020 at 06:47 PM.

I thought there was a fourth item, but I apparently didn't write it down (d'oh!) and I can't spot it off-hand; I'll reply back if I remember it.
    Dunno if the one you're thinking on, but Mega Anser doesn't support the controller at all either (it requires the Ten Key Pad). Technically not a game, but it's in the list because running with keypad but no modem puts it in some sort of simulation mode with fake money (so if you're really bored…)

Master of Shinobi

updated with those notes. I guess it's not that important to not require an accessory so I'll leave them in. After all, the whole idea of this list is knowing how many games were made for the system (which I couldn't find anywhere in a list form), and exploring those fringe cases is always interesting, that's why I added them in a somewhat grouped way.

EDIT: Also I'm feeling like I should separate the 2 arcade compilations (Williams and, as those were real games developped separately (ports), unlike fun'n'games, Menacer 6-in-1, Wacky worlds, etc which are just mini-games sold as one game (just as with Olympic games carts, multi-sport game as ACME all-stars, Acquatic games...), what do you think ? My main issue with listing games like Joust is that they weren't released separately. Same thing occurs with Tectoy shovelware, but even with downloadable-only games for that matter. I'm redoing the list in order to do so, we'll see how it goes

EDIT2: done. Up to 934 games, reordered to get a main list of 900 games and listing the most difficult cases at the beguinning. List is easier to navigate and reordered taking into account latest posts on this thread. Also added for info some carts that were debated in here but not added (not games)
    Last edited by chilled; 06-24-2020 at 06:52 AM.
    Lists of MD games: officially licensed (~925) @ cart sizes @ Top 5 @ Top 250 @ Sonic hacks @ best title screens @ Arcade ports (150) @ best European games

Quote Originally Posted by Sik View Post
    Dunno if the one you're thinking on, but Mega Anser doesn't support the controller at all either
    No, I don't think it was Mega Anser I was thinking of, but that's another good controller example (though I'm skeptical it should be considered a game). I'm probably mistaken and it was only those three I found... thanks for the suggestion, though. Does anyone know of any video of it in action? I found a video of the (presumably non-interactive) demo loop (YT), but I'd be curious to see what this "simulation mode" actually is. Really though, it's just so bizarre that there were not just one, but several banking programs for the MD... what the hell was going on in Japan that parents found the need to use their kid's Sega to check their bank accounts?

Question on the handful of physically released TecToy games though, do we know for sure that any of them were actually licensed through Sega? All I've been able to find out about Sega/TecToy's partnership was that Tec Toy was to be the distributor for Sega's products, no word on whether they were licensed to actually produce their own games.

Also on a side note, did any of the games in the "37 TecToy games" list have physical releases? Best I can figure is they're digital-only pack-ins on TecToy's "console-on-a-chip" dealies (MS Evolution and/or MD 3/4).

No, I don't think it was Mega Anser I was thinking of, but that's another good controller example (though I'm skeptical it should be considered a game). I'm probably mistaken and it was only those three I found... thanks for the suggestion, though. Does anyone know of any video of it in action? I found a video of the (presumably non-interactive) demo loop (YT), but I'd be curious to see what this "simulation mode" actually is.
    Uh no, I should probably record it, only reason why I know that it does that is that I wrote a stub to fake the keypad input using a normal controller and Mega Anser did that. From a video standpoint, it'll look pretty much the same except for showing 練習用 and that the actions taken will be different.

But yeah: https://plutiedev.com/blog/20190119

Really though, it's just so bizarre that there were not just one, but several banking programs for the MD... what the hell was going on in Japan that parents found the need to use their kid's Sega to check their bank accounts?
    Computers were way more expensive than consoles is what was going on (everywhere, not just Japan). Well, and Sega originally wanted their consoles to be used for more than just gaming. Brazil had their own banking software as well and from what I recall reading in an interview here it actually saw some significant use?

Nowadays with cheap computers and smartphones it makes no sense, but at the time it did.

Question on the handful of physically released TecToy games though, do we know for sure that any of them were actually licensed through Sega? All I've been able to find out about Sega/TecToy's partnership was that Tec Toy was to be the distributor for Sega's products, no word on whether they were licensed to actually produce their own games.
    No idea, though nobody seems to ever question about Tectoy having a license and we know that they had a close relationship with SOJ, so they probably did (let's be honest, they probably just had to ask when needed).

Master of Shinobi

lots of brazillian fellow members in here, maybe they'll be more knowledgeable on Tec Toy. Anyway most people (like me) just assume they were licensed by Sega for ports like Duke Nukem, localisations, GG to SMS ports, etc but for that "aftermarket" (at least in the rest of the world) I wish they didn't have a license and we'd be done with those games forever...

Computers were way more expensive than consoles is what was going on (everywhere, not just Japan). Well, and Sega originally wanted their consoles to be used for more than just gaming. Brazil had their own banking software as well and from what I recall reading in an interview here it actually saw some significant use?
    No I get that computers would be expensive by comparison, but if expense was the primary concern, why buy it at all? Presumably it wasn't targeted at the business class (who would be more able to afford a home computer, and would likely have more need for frequent balance checks/transactions), so what would the average Joe use it for that couldn't be accomplished over the phone? Just seems strange is all, but there was apparently some sort of market for them

Anyway, as for Tec Toy, if one of the requirements for this list is that the game must be licensed (presuming all Tec Toy games were Sega licensed), should Duke Nukem be counted? SegaRetro’s page states (without citation) that 3D Realms denies giving permission for the game to be made. I guess it could still technically be "licensed" if 3D Realms just decided not to (or didn't have the means to) litigate...

No I get that computers would be expensive by comparison, but if expense was the primary concern, why buy it at all? Presumably it wasn't targeted at the business class (who would be more able to afford a home computer, and would likely have more need for frequent balance checks/transactions), so what would the average Joe use it for that couldn't be accomplished over the phone? Just seems strange is all, but there was apparently some sort of market for them

Anyway, as for Tec Toy, if one of the requirements for this list is that the game must be licensed (presuming all Tec Toy games were Sega licensed), should Duke Nukem be counted? SegaRetro’s page states (without citation) that 3D Realms denies giving permission for the game to be made. I guess it could still technically be "licensed" if 3D Realms just decided not to (or didn't have the means to) litigate...

Master of Shinobi

I don't care that much about original developer's permission as for the official Sega license to publish the game on their system. It's the opposite case of SFT and other taiwanese developped games in which they are claiming they purchased the rights to publish the game, where in fact they just bought the IP from original license, but they still are publishing an unlicensed (by Sega) game.

Regarding Duke Nukem 3D, the game's copyright seems to indicate that TecToy benefited from the licensing deal that Sega arranged with GT Interactive in order to assume the production of the Sega Saturn version. Probably this deal was not focused to the Sega Saturn only, but to several Sega platforms, something which was usual when arranging either licensing conversion or movie adaptations. That very same year, Sega could release The Lost World for the arcades (Model 3 hardware), Sega Saturn, Mega Drive and Game Gear thanks to a similar deal. In this case Sega was probably given the possibility of a Mega Drive version and then passed the torch of that particular version to TecToy, which was probably more interested in making something out of it. So even if 3D Realms didn't give it permission to it, it was legal perfectly legal because GT Interactive, which had exclusive publishing rights to the game at that time, authorized it.

In fact, the licensing of the recent re-release of the Mega Drive version of Duke Nukem 3D by Piko Interactive seems like it was arranged with 3D Realms (what's left of it). That one was no longer licensed by Sega though.

http://www.sega-16.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=154&dateline=15683853  53

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingSports Talker Oruam's Avatar

Homebrews does count on this list?

Master of Shinobi

no, because they are not licensed by Sega, so they are not official releases for the console. I did count Tetris 2019 and Darius though (the latter being originally a homebrew port), because I understand they are licensed by Sega by appearing on a Sega console recently. It is the same situation as for Tec Toy MD 3 & 4 shovelware. It is open to debate, though.
    Also Gleylancer re-release, Piko's Duke Nukem etc are not licensed by Sega as you can see.

Interesting! Thanks for weighing in, Wesker.

On a side note, one more small correction: "Tecmo World Cup '93" [761] is an unreleased SMS game, "Tecmo World Cup" was the Gen/NA release
    https://segaretro.org/Tecmo_World_Cup_%2792

Thread Information