Quantcast

Thread: DIY Cardboard mini-boxes

Default DIY Cardboard mini-boxes

A while back in some thread or other, I posted a pic of some little DIY cardboard boxes I've made to house loose Megadrive/Genesis game carts. I get the odd request for the templates etc, so I should probably make them formally available

The basic template/concept was adapted from http://segaage.com/forum/messageview...threadid=62693 , so that's the original source. Looks like their pics are down though. The originals were two-part boxes, I prefer to have them as a one-part assembly. Fewer places for glue to fall apart in.

Here's a couple of images showing the kind of boxes I've made...

As you can see, you can print out mini manuals and put them in the boxes too

Here's a mega.co.nz link to the folder containing all the goodies: https://mega.co.nz/#F!CZsUCTyJ!lHk743hhtzEFNqKdHDVPCA . I've provided a blank template in both .png and .pdn (paint.net, it's a free windows image app which I like to use), a late-Genesis red stripey box template (again in .png and .pdn), and some printable .pngs of the boxes I've designed myself. Everything should be in 300dpi, so it prints out fairly decently. The .pdn versions have layers, so you can print the crop marks overtop of the artwork, etc. If anyone needs any of the other styles converted into templates, I can probably do that, although the JP boxes each tend to be fairly unique.

Templates:

Blank png pdn
    Genesis (red stripey) png pdn

Currently finished boxes:

Bare Knuckle (JP MD)
    Bare Knuckle 2 (JP MD)
    Comix Zone (Genesis)
    Cool Spot (PAL MD)
    Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine (PAL MD)
    NBA Jam TE (Genesis)
    Ranger-X (Genesis)
    Sonic 1 (JP MD)
    Sonic 2 (PAL MD)
    Sonic 3 (Genesis)
    Toejam & Earl 2: Panic on Funkotron (Genesis)

It's possible I can convert the .pdn into some other format too, but I'm not sure about compatibility etc.

It's worth noting that if you're going to try to make some of these boxes yourself, the aspect ratio for these mini boxes tends to be a bit different than from the standard box art insert, so some creative cropping etc is often needed. Sometimes it can be quite annoying adapting the art, so don't expect it to be a copy/paste/scale job and come out looking good. Unless you don't care about maintaining aspect, of course.

Printing is pretty simple, print to A4 cardstock (I like glossy & a little thicker than normal, but not TOO thick - then the creases crack too much). Make sure the scaling is 100% (not 'fit to paper' or whatever).

As for assembling them, I highly recommend the little roller-style tape dispensers that have double sided stickyness in them. They are FAR superior than traditional 'wet' glue for paper crafts. Also, ti's a good idea to cut little notches out of some of the flaps bits to ease assembly/closing the flaps. It's fairly obvious which bits though.

I've also done very similar mini-boxes for SNES games, but a) they don't really suit a SEGA board, b) they are annoyingly lots larger than the MD ones (US carts are huge!) and c) because of b, they can only be printed in pairs on A3 paper (too large for A4), so aren't easy to make available individually I've also made some sleeves for NGPC carts (in the plastic containers) which are kind of neat too.

If anyone else designs any of these boxes, I'd love to see them posted up! It's really pretty neat having little boxes for your loose carts, and they don't take up much room!
    Last edited by fluxcore; 09-06-2014 at 05:15 AM.

Raging in the Streets SEGA.GENESIS1989's Avatar

Genesis

I have to admit, these look great! Other than the side creases, they look rather professional. When I get some spare time, I'm going to play around with the blank template. Great job!
    "There's nothing to fear, except fear itself"
    http://i1054.photobucket.com/albums/s486/link2link2link/YUZOKOSHIROISAGODNEOSEEDEDITION.gif

Quote Originally Posted by SEGA.GENESIS1989 View Post
    I have to admit, these look great! Other than the side creases, they look rather professional. When I get some spare time, I'm going to play around with the blank template. Great job!
    Yeah, the crease cracking is a function of the printing, the glossiness, and the thickness of the card. I imagine varying these could get better results with the crease cracking, however might decrease the solidity of the box etc. Could be worth experimenting with, but for my purposes I don't mind a little cracking. Thanks, and look forward to seeing what you come up with!
    Last edited by fluxcore; 09-06-2014 at 05:12 PM.

Did you use a bone folder or similar object, or just fold them by hand? A bone folder might help but as you say it really depends on the paper.

edit: Here's a video on how to score and fold with a bone folder if you aren't familiar:

Last edited by JumpingRyle; 09-06-2014 at 03:51 PM.

I've not seen a bone folder before, I was using a roller guillotine with a 'crease' blade in it. Possibly this isn't the best way of doing it though, it might be a little 'harsh' for want of a better word.

...of Rage Death Adder's minion Xen's Avatar

Those are nice as hell. I got the Sonic 2 and 3 ones
    Now I just need the supplies.

Oh, I should probably mention they won't fit EA's silly big carts, or Sonic&Knuckles

The Technician Sports Talker Hik's Avatar

I really like the look of these. Getting interested in making my own.

Clean and compact paper ready boxes. So simple ,yet awesome.

not a real fan Raging in the Streets old man's Avatar

Sweet! These kick ass. They would be great for all those loose carts I own.

Raging in the Streets KnightWarrior's Avatar

Love these Mini Boxes - I saw some for NES Games

Very nice work fluxcore! Those look really well done and could definitely help out others with beat up cardboard games, or others who just want something that looks cool. All around nice job

Extreme Procrastinator Master of Shinobi Flygon's Avatar

Seeing these used for new releases would also be pretty neat. Low cost, easy to make...

Thread Information