Quantcast

Page 12 of 27 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314151622 ... LastLast

Thread: Mega Man X & Sega Genesis

Quote Originally Posted by EPSYLON EAGLE View Post
    The graphics were redesigned to 320 x 240 resolution???
    Sadly runs in low res but.. i'm pretty amezed by the results
    the game uses the sounds effects of the PS1 version with the X full voice overs
    also the music and effects are excellent, and the hearth of the game that is the jagability is almost intact
    play like mmx.. easy to dash.. jump, fire and etc..

Visit my youtube channel Pyron's Lair
    Take here all my hacks made with love for all of us here
    Want to help me? Here is my Patreon!

The problem is that some areas rely on the screen being 256px wide and if you decide to go with 320px then you'll end up doing like the Saturn port (which can't do 256px wide) where they had to add columns to the side so now you had squished sprites and ugly pillars.

I'd have also gone with 256◊224 and avoid the trouble, honestly.

Going to 256px is the easy way to port without extra work. The ideal would be 320px where you would gain playing field which would greatly benefit an action game like this. The port of Saturn is not a referential because it is a horrible and lazy port.

But I'm already very happy with what the friend managed to do, just behaving like the game is in the SNES is already a great victory.

Visit my youtube channel Pyron's Lair
    Take here all my hacks made with love for all of us here
    Want to help me? Here is my Patreon!

I was amazed how he show a lot of enemies at same time (more than in the SNES) without any slowdown. The AI of the enemies and the overall feel is so accurate to the original game too.
    Looks like this guy completed the hardest things to do in a port!
    Last edited by LinkueiBR; 07-16-2018 at 11:23 AM.
    VISUAL SHOCK!
    SPEED SHOCK!
    SOUND SHOCK!
    NOW IS TIME TO THE 68000 HEART ON FIRE!

Prince of Persia 2 - The Shadow and the Flame Remastered Edition v1.5

Death Bringer ESWAT Veteran Black_Tiger's Avatar

A port of a game like this, even for just a tech demo, is a huge undertaking. The work that would be involved to rework all of the assets for a higher resolution would be a massive project of its own.

A better use of a pixelartist's time and what will appear more impressive to both SNES and Genesis fans would be adding increased assets and detail that look and feel as though they were part of the original game. Otherwise fanboys will argue (likely rightfully so) that everything looks weird and compromised.
    Quote Originally Posted by year2kill06
    everyone knows nintendo is far way cooler than sega just face it nintendo has more better games and originals

Banned by Administrators

Another solution to hi-res is to just leave the graphics assets alone and just extend the horizontal plane to show more. Sure this will squish the pixel art aspect ratio when played on 4:3, but it's not much of a negative. Only issue is increased playfield may require some further balancing.

Death Bringer ESWAT Veteran Black_Tiger's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Thief View Post
    Another solution to hi-res is to just leave the graphics assets alone and just extend the horizontal plane to show more. Sure this will squish the pixel art aspect ratio when played on 4:3, but it's not much of a negative. Only issue is increased playfield may require some further balancing.
    That defeats the whole point of increased resolution.
    Quote Originally Posted by year2kill06
    everyone knows nintendo is far way cooler than sega just face it nintendo has more better games and originals

I donít particularly see the resolution as an issue, though I havenít compared it to how the original looks. The controls feel snappy and the sound is excellent. Looks to be very promising. Tbh it makes me want to play MegaMan 8 lol.

Besides the pillars, I do notice the music is a bit tougher on x3, the sprites seem to disappear often, and the blaster isnít as gratifying to shoot hah

Extreme Procrastinator Master of Shinobi Flygon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Thief View Post
    I ran the maths on this a while ago - Running the 256-wide squished assets in 320-wide mode actually makes for a fairly close anamorphic widescreen.

The Mega Drive was the first widescreen console.

Quote Originally Posted by ironnick23 View Post
    I donít particularly see the resolution as an issue, though I havenít compared it to how the original looks.
    Check this thread and you'll find out that a lot of people apparently think that not using 320◊224 is a cardinal sin and the ultimate proof that you're too lazy to be allowed to stay alive in this world.

Quote Originally Posted by Flygon View Post
    I ran the maths on this a while ago - Running the 256-wide squished assets in 320-wide mode actually makes for a fairly close anamorphic widescreen.

The Mega Drive was the first widescreen console.
    I think one of the invalid settings actually causes exactly what you mentioned... it's just not a video signal that any TV will want to take (scanlines are too long). Also of course it affects refresh rate because it takes longer to generate the image :​P

I prefer 256x224 for this project. The game art was made with stretch in mind I dont really want larger boss corridors, larger boss rooms.
    Last edited by LinkueiBR; 07-17-2018 at 10:19 AM.
    VISUAL SHOCK!
    SPEED SHOCK!
    SOUND SHOCK!
    NOW IS TIME TO THE 68000 HEART ON FIRE!

Prince of Persia 2 - The Shadow and the Flame Remastered Edition v1.5

Extreme Procrastinator Master of Shinobi Flygon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sik View Post
    I think one of the invalid settings actually causes exactly what you mentioned... it's just not a video signal that any TV will want to take (scanlines are too long). Also of course it affects refresh rate because it takes longer to generate the image :​P
    I meant the actual 256-wide and 320-wide modes, with the standard timings.
    I spoke with a friend of mine about converting an existing 256-wide game to take advantage of the 320-wide for the widescreen. Then we realized that the nametable was only 32 tiles wide after we set the 320-wide flag, and the tiles warped back over at the right hand side of the screen.
    Not worth the effort in converting the game to use a wider nametable.

AKA Mister Xiado Master of Shinobi Raijin Z's Avatar

Seems amazing so far. I hope Taigo gets all the help needed in finishing this.
    - Where it's always 1995 (or so).
    Youtube - Terminated
    BitChute - Fragmented, but functional

Seems like a ton more work needs to be done to the physics. I'm also really not a fan of any of the samples used (voices are super unfitting, and drums were changed to the SNES drums for some reason. Also any of the other sound effects would be better as FM/PSG imo). Possibly some work can be done regarding palettes as well. Not a bad effort so far, but I do hope keeping it this way isn't intentional.

Rebel scum Shining Hero MrMatthews's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Raijin Z View Post
    Seems amazing so far. I hope Taigo gets all the help needed in finishing this.
    Looks pretty spot on.

Also, I really like that snare drum.

Thread Information