Quantcast

Thread: Preparing Our Segas For Project Y

Master of Shinobi streetsofrage's Avatar

Genesis Preparing Our Segas For Project Y

I been playing streets of rage on hardest for the last week (friends parents are on vacation) , I've noticed serious slowdown when playing on this difficulty as the game adds many more enemies. I wonder if project y will have the same slowdown at the highest difficulty either way I think it's time my model 1 got overclocked.
    Last edited by streetsofrage; 09-20-2014 at 12:04 AM.
    My Consoles: Nes(toaster), Nes (toploader), Snes, Sega Genesis 2x Model 1 (HD and Va7) , Genesis Model 2 ,Sega Cd model 2 (bois ver 2.00) ,Sega Saturn N64, PS1 , Xbox 1(modded running XMBC) , 2x Xbox360(2 jaspers)

My Handhelds: Sega Game Gear , Nintendo Ds, Sega Nomad

Now with 33% more @$$! Master of Shinobi Assman's Avatar

I seriously doubt Watermelon would deliberately program a difficulty level that had noticeable slowdown, especially with a game like this that's really meant to showcase the full potential of our beloved console.

Streets of Rage isn't a particularly great basis for comparison when you consider how unoptimized it was and how hastily developed it appeared to be. Remember that it was essentially just a cheap cash-in (though a good game in its own right) to assuage the Final Fight fans among the Genesis user base.

I think a much better basis for comparison would be SoR2 or 3. The highest difficulty modes in those games still have no more than 5 enemies on screen at any given time, so the framerate doesn't take a hit, but the speed, aggression and health of each enemy is amped up to make it feel like more than 5 are present.

Anyway, I don't really see why you couldn't have just posted this in the existing Project Y thread.

ToeJam is a wiener Hero of Algol Guntz's Avatar

I read the thread title from the index as "Preparing Our Segas For Assman".

I'm reserving my attention for Project Y, because it doesn't seem to be in a hurry for a release. I'll just grab it whenever it gets released.

Quote Originally Posted by Assman View Post
    I think a much better basis for comparison would be SoR2 or 3. The highest difficulty modes in those games still have no more than 5 enemies on screen at any given time, so the framerate doesn't take a hit, but the speed, aggression and health of each enemy is amped up to make it feel like more than 5 are present.
    Actually SoR2 on mania + CO-OP has up to 6 enemies in various stages, pretty damn crazy even when there is some flickering. Not sure about Bare Knuckle 3, but i think it has a Maximum of just 5, because the sprites are substantially bigger than SoR2 (on par with enemy sprites from SNES Final Fight games)

I think a better example than SoR1 would be Growl, it has like 10 similar-sized enemies on screen and runs pretty smooth, despite being a mediocre port of an alright game, it's impressive.
    SoR1 is capped to 30fps.
    Last edited by Vludi; 09-20-2014 at 05:00 AM.

Now with 33% more @$$! Master of Shinobi Assman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vludi View Post
    Actually SoR2 on mania + CO-OP has up to 6 enemies in various stages, pretty damn crazy even when there is some flickering.
    Shit, I never knew that. That's even more impressive. I guess I haven't played enough of mania to notice; I can barely beat hardest at my absolute best. Mania is kinda just a fuck this game mode to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Guntz View Post
    I read the thread title from the index as "Preparing Our Segas For Assman".
    A subject that still requires our utmost attention. Segas, as they are, simply are not titillating enough for The Assman. "Preparing" in this case necessitates a much more clear presence of ass. Naturally, it is the ass adornment which defines The Assman. The Assman's cartridges demand to be plugged into an ass soft enough to the touch that one could nestle comfortably in its loving crevasse, yet bold enough to strike fear and awe into the heart of its oppressors.

The following is a valiant attempt yet still an obvious and appalling affront to The Assman's psyche:

Creeping Death-ah! Wildside Expert Metallica Man X's Avatar

Oh my, that's hilarious! There's so many hidden asses in the picture XD I keep seeing more every time i look at it hahaha
    I mostly lurk...don't be alarmed when you see me actually make a post :P

not a real fan Raging in the Streets old man's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Assman View Post

That's the best ass I've ever assed. It's hilariass.

Outrunner

Wow, the "Sonic & Asses" title screen.
    It may no longer be the `90s, but there is still time for Klax.

Thread Information