Recommended acessories:

Nintendo Wii U Game Pad High Capacity Battery
    Nintendo Wii U Remote Rapid Charging Set

My NNID: ReBirFh

Added those accessories and your NNID.

Real Gamers Wear Monocles Master of Shinobi mick_aka's Avatar

NNID: mickloaf

Quote Originally Posted by MrSega
    When I speculate, I post sources to back up my claims.

Quote Originally Posted by sidewinderl View Post
    If space is a real concern, then maybe you should defend the inability of your TV to play it's own discs, since the notion that you need an external player at all is

The reality is that there have been so many options available since DVD came out, that the Wii U designers shouldn't have even wasted a single thought on movie disc playback. Especially since for the past decade, Nintendo consoles have been universally considered/marketed as secondary consoles with the assumption that most console gamers already have either a PS or Xbox as their primary system. PC gamers don't need a console that plays DVD/BR either. And if you have a surround sound system (which has always been a requirement of the real DVD experience), then there's a pretty good chance you don't need another player either.

(sigh) Another desperate, shallow argument for Wii's shortcomings.

Sorry but in the modern era, movie disc playing is a feature that is STANDARD for game consoles. Accept it. Every X-Box and all Playstations, except the first, could play DVDs and now blu-ray. Its a feature and nice extra that we've rightfully come to expect. Not having it is just one of many bone-headed mistakes that show nintendo is out of touch with modern gaming.

And if i shell out $300+ bones for a device equipped with a quality blu-ray drive, i expect to be able to use the damn thing for its most common application, damnit.
    Last edited by True Grave; 12-18-2014 at 07:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by True Grave View Post

Sorry but in the modern era, movie disc playing is a feature that is STANDARD for game consoles. Accept it. Every X-Box and all Playstations, except the first, could play DVDs and now blu-ray. Its a feature and nice extra that we've rightfully come to expect. Not having it is just one of many bone-headed mistakes that show nintendo is out of touch with modern gaming.

And if i shell out $300+ bones for a device equipped with a quality blu-ray drive, i expect to be able to use the damn thing for its most common application, damnit.
    Or Nintendo simply put Have fun and Play games at the top of their priority list while Sony and Microsoft put Everything Media on the top of theirs.

Your complaints for needing it to play movies doesn't really add up becasue I have the same issue with only have 3 HDMI ports on my TV and I get by just fine. I have my BluRay player hooked up HDMI 1, my Cable box is hooked up to HDMI 2, and I have a cable hooked into HDMI 3 that when I want to play 360 I plug it in to the 360, when I want to play Wii U I plug it into the Wii U. The systems are sitting next to each other on my entertainment stand so it's not that big of an issue really. It's not like you're going to be playing both at the same time.

I assume one of your HDMI Devices is your Cable Box for TV if you have cable, so what's using up the 2nd one if you have no device that plays DVDs or BluRays? That would eliminate a 360, PS3, PS4, Xbox One, standalone DVD or BluRay Player, PC, etc.

Road Rasher

Sorry but in the modern era, movie disc playing is a feature that is STANDARD for game consoles. Accept it.
    Standard by what definition? The Wii was outselling the 360 and PS3 combined, which meant half of the consoles that generation didn't have your "standard" feature. Surround sound is really what was supported across the board, and there's no reason you couldn't buy a sound system with an integrated disc player. That's what I did, and when I bought a 360, the DVD playback was not a consideration at all.

The "game console as a DVD player" was only a precedent set by the PS2, and it succeeded because it was relatively accessible and highly desirable at the time. But by the time you bought your own PS2 at the end of '03, you could buy a GameCube and DVD player for less. That's what I did. And when I bought my PS2 a couple years later, guess what? DVD playback did not factor into that decision either.

Your whole argument pretty much boils down to, "movie disc playback is central to a game/movie lover's setup regardless of what console is hooked up. So instead of integrating it into necessary components like the sound system or TV, every single device has to support it, because I'm not sensible in the slightest."

C'mon fellas, its bad enough that Wii U owners HAVE to buy a separate device just to enjoy 3rd party gaming. AKA: PS4 or XBONE.

Needing another device just for movie playback? Thats even worse and another black-eye on the system's disappointing resume. WTF nintendo.

Sadly, the Wii U is simply not a device that lives up to the potential of its hardware, or cost.

Anyway, you guys can climb aboard the denial train all you want. Its tickets are cheap for a reason
    Last edited by True Grave; 12-20-2014 at 02:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TrekkiesUnite118 View Post
    Or Nintendo simply put Have fun and Play games at the top of their priority list while Sony and Microsoft put Everything Media on the top of theirs.
    Then why even have Hulu and Netflix available?

Having fun while playing games should be paramount but Nintendo tends to ignore the wants of gamers for the most part.

C'mon fellas, its bad enough that Wii U owners HAVE to buy a separate device just to enjoy 3rd party gaming. AKA: PS4 or XBONE.

Needing another device just for movie playback? Thats even worse and another black-eye on the system's disappointing resume. WTF nintendo.

Sadly, the Wii U is simply not a device that lives up to the potential of its hardware, or cost.

Anyway, you guys can climb aboard the denial train all you want. Its tickets are cheap for a reason
    If you absolutely need a PS4 and Xbox one anyways then you're already killing two birds with one stone as those play your movies. And you didn't answer my question. If one of your HDMI Devices is your Cable Box for TV if you have cable, what's using up the 2nd one if you have no device that plays DVDs or BluRays? That would eliminate a 360, PS3, PS4, Xbox One, standalone DVD or BluRay Player, PC, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by JCU View Post
    Then why even have Hulu and Netflix available?

Having fun while playing games should be paramount but Nintendo tends to ignore the wants of gamers for the most part.
    Those are third party apps. They didn't require Nintendo to really do anything with the hardware to make it happen.

If you absolutely need a PS4 and Xbox one anyways then you're already killing two birds with one stone as those play your movies. And you didn't answer my question. If one of your HDMI Devices is your Cable Box for TV if you have cable, what's using up the 2nd one if you have no device that plays DVDs or BluRays? That would eliminate a 360, PS3, PS4, Xbox One, standalone DVD or BluRay Player, PC, etc.

You seem to be under the illusion that asking this question is SOMEHOW part of a 'defense' for Wii U. Its not. It doesn't matter what i have connected. Wii's hardware limitations remain.

And after putting down a whopping $300+ on a Wii U, if i chose to do so. I'd also need to spend another $60 for a good quality blu-ray player, AND make room on my (modest)set-up for both units. The HDMI port stuff on the side, just adds further insult to the situation

Which wouldn't happen if nintendo got with the times. OR at least offer an app for those like me who'd gladly pay for the convenience to add this functionality to the Wii U

Whatever. I'm done. I might still look at Wii U at a later time but, for right now, its just a bad buy at its price.
    Last edited by True Grave; 12-21-2014 at 08:34 AM.

I DON'T LIKE POKEMON Hero of Algol j_factor's Avatar

I'd also need to spend another $60 for a good quality blu-ray player, AND make room on my (modest)set-up for both units. The HDMI port stuff on the side, just adds further insult to the situation

Which wouldn't happen if nintendo got with the times. OR at least offer an app for those like me who'd gladly pay for the convenience to add this functionality to the Wii U
    Oh, calm down. Nintendo just has a different strategy. Sony and Microsoft want their console to be the only box you need. They would like it very much if you used their console for all your entertainment needs and never turned on another device, be it a competing console, a blu-ray player, Roku, Apple TV, etc. Nintendo doesn't care about that. They just want to sell games. They don't have either the resources or the expertise to truly compete with Microsoft and Sony on the level of non-gaming media, so they cede that market to them entirely. It's not in their DNA, as they say in the tech industry. With that decision made, paying money to the blu-ray consortium to license movie playback on their console doesn't make sense. They don't believe that it will increase sales, nor does it provide the type of value that would justify an increased retail price, so from Nintendo's perspective it'd just be money down the drain.

I think Nintendo is mostly correct. The number of prospective Wii U owners who are turned off by the lack of blu-ray playback is pretty small, I think. Wii U sales have been pretty weak for various reasons, but I don't think that's one of them.

its just a bad buy at its price.
    This part I actually agree with. The "Deluxe" bundle is still $300. Come on, Nintendo. Drop the price already.

On a side note, I noticed that the Wii U still hasn't surpassed Dreamcast in total sales. Though it will probably edge out DC when all the holiday sales are counted, that's pretty bad. Dreamcast's retail presence was pretty much gone by the holiday season in 2001, as stock dried up.
    Last edited by j_factor; 12-21-2014 at 01:13 PM.

You just can't handle my jawusumness responces.

You seem to be under the illusion that asking this question is SOMEHOW part of a 'defense' for Wii U. Its not. It doesn't matter what i have connected. Wii's hardware limitations remain.
    Actually it is a valid question. You're complaint is "I NEED THE WII U TO PLAY MOVIES BECAUSE I ONLY HAVE 3 HDMI PORTS AND GETTING A WII U TAKES UP THE LAST ONE, THEREFORE I CAN'T HAVE ANOTHER STANDALONE DEVICE!" Well, what's taking up the other 2 right now? Obviously they don't play movies at all and you have no problem with that for those devices. The fact that you keep dodging it tells me that you do have something hooked up that will play movies and you're just complaining for the sake of complaining.

And after putting down a whopping $300+ on a Wii U, if i chose to do so. I'd also need to spend another $60 for a good quality blu-ray player, AND make room on my (modest)set-up for both units. The HDMI port stuff on the side, just adds further insult to the situation

Whatever. I'm done. I might still look at Wii U at a later time but, for right now, its just a bad buy at its price.
    I agree it would be nice if it played movies, but I'm content with it the way it is. Honestly I don't think I've used my PS2 or 360 to play movies more than once or twice for the novelty of it. I've always had a stand alone player so it's never been a selling point for me.

If $300 is too much for you then wait and get a refurbished one for $200 when they're back in stock.

I don't watch movies, so Wii U's missing multimedia capabilities don't affect me at all. I just want to play fun games, and in that regard the system delivers in spades.

Those are third party apps. They didn't require Nintendo to really do anything with the hardware to make it happen.
    Of course those are but it reinforces the fact of Nintendo not knowing, entirely, what in the hell it wants to do.

The company stresses gaming first and foremost yet it dips its toes ever so slightly into entertainment. Talk about an identity crisis.

Quote Originally Posted by JCU View Post
    Of course those are but it reinforces the fact of Nintendo not knowing, entirely, what in the hell it wants to do.

The company stresses gaming first and foremost yet it dips its toes ever so slightly into entertainment. Talk about an identity crisis.
    I think that had more to do with those companies having those same apps on the original Wii. Netflix, Hulu, Amazon, etc. probably thought the Wii U would take off just as fast as the original Wii did and decided they wanted to have those apps ready for launch.

Thread Information