Quantcast

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I'm looking for an action rpg

It's that time again! Road Rasher HalfBit's Avatar

Default I'm looking for an action rpg

Hello world

I'm looking for an 8bit sega game, master system or game gear, although if there's a good one for genesis that's okay too. It may be nintendo too, but I don't want zelda.

Specifically, I want a game like shovel knight but for a sega console/handheld:

It must meet these criteria:

1. Not overly expensive to play (system, peripherals, etc)

2. Must be, overall, a good game (well-reviewed)

3. Must be an action rpg, either side scrolling or top down works

4. Must be long enough to provide a road trip worth of entertainment, more is better

Any suggestions?
    http://imgur.com/78saBOrSteve Jobs died ON MY BIRTHDAY.

Can't comment on master system stuff.

Beyond Oasis is one of the better Zelda-likes on the Genesis. Landstalker is also very good but it's less combat-focused and more puzzle-focused.

As for games like Shovel Knight. Well, I mean, Shovel Knight is liberally written from the same cloth as Ducktales, Mega Man, Castlevania, etc. What does the Master System have that's like that?

Genesis-wise there are in fact, Castlevania games, Contra games, etc. but those are probably too hard for what you're looking for. You'll definitely spend a road trip trying to beat them. There are easier action-platformers like Chiki Chiki Boys and Marvel Land, though those are fairly short. Other than that, I dunno. Kid Chameleon is the ultimate marathon game, though that's a love-n-hate affair.

Hmm... Thanks for the help, I'm thinking more like wonder boy in monster land (master system)
    Or something like golvellius (master system) especially because with a master gear I can take them on the road trip in question and still have enough cash to buy a wide gear. And of course it'll be led modded for longer battery life, I think it was like 8 hours.

I DON'T LIKE POKEMON Hero of Algol j_factor's Avatar

How about Wonder Boy III: The Dragon's Trap? Is that too obvious? It's on both SMS and Game Gear, and the GG port is actually very good.

If you want something more Zelda like, Golden Axe Warrior is a good choice. Don't bother with Ax Battler though; it's decent enough, but you can beat it in like an hour.

You just can't handle my jawusumness responces.

Wonder boy III and monster land are pretty similar, besides the animal thing, so either of those seem like pretty good choices. Especially if one is on GG already. Although, after checking out beyond oasis it does look like it could be good. It depends on availability and cost, especially in my region where good deals on gaming stuff generally don't exist.
    2600 at a pawn shop? 80$. Dreamcast? About 110$.

End of line.. Hero of Algol gamevet's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HalfBit View Post
    Wonder boy III and monster land are pretty similar, besides the animal thing, so either of those seem like pretty good choices. Especially if one is on GG already. Although, after checking out beyond oasis it does look like it could be good. It depends on availability and cost, especially in my region where good deals on gaming stuff generally don't exist.
    2600 at a pawn shop? 80$. Dreamcast? About 110$.
    Your region doesn't have Ebay, or ECrater?
    A Black Falcon: no, computer games and video games are NOT the same thing. Video games are on consoles, computer games are on PC. The two kinds of games are different, and have significantly different design styles, distribution methods, and game genre selections. Computer gaming and console (video) gaming are NOT the same thing."

Outrunner

Golden Axe Warrior is pricey these days. I'd go with Ys if it's not expensive, I haven't checked to see if it it was or not.

Sure I have ebay. But I don't like ordering off of it and I don't have a credit card.

Quote Originally Posted by o.pwuaioc View Post
    Golden Axe Warrior is pricey these days. I'd go with Ys if it's not expensive, I haven't checked to see if it it was or not.
    Ys for the Master System just feels incomplete to me. You need Ys I & II for the Turbo CD. Although I guess Ys III for the Genesis is a solid choice.

End of line.. Hero of Algol gamevet's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HalfBit View Post
    Sure I have ebay. But I don't like ordering off of it and I don't have a credit card.
    You can setup a Pay-Pal account to pay for items on Ebay. You can also buy a pre-paid credit card for about $5, plus the amount of credit on the card. It's more than likely a better solution than wandering around your local shops, hoping to find a good deal.
    A Black Falcon: no, computer games and video games are NOT the same thing. Video games are on consoles, computer games are on PC. The two kinds of games are different, and have significantly different design styles, distribution methods, and game genre selections. Computer gaming and console (video) gaming are NOT the same thing."

Quote Originally Posted by j_factor View Post
    Although I guess Ys III for the Genesis is a solid choice.
    Less solid though when Oath in Felghana exists. Ys III is very clunky by comparison.

Oath in Felghana doesn't have the same gameplay at all, so it's not a very good comparison. Yes, I know it's supposed to be a remake of Ys III, but it's basically a remake in terms of plot only.

Outrunner

Wonder Boy III is the best. If you haven't played it, your quest for an action RPG to play is at an end, I promise you, especially since you're looking for an SMS or Game Gear game.
    It may no longer be the `90s, but there is still time for Klax.

Antiquing Hedgehog Lord QuickSciFi's Avatar

I recommend:
    Game Gear:
    Ax Battler: A Legend of Golden Axe
    (This one has a password save system).

Genesis:
    Sorcerer's Kingdom
    (Turn based, but real time. It feels like action).

I also recommend if you have a Nintendo DS (or 3DS):
    From the Abyss

Golden axe warrior, WB III or Y's.

Thread Information