Quantcast

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: High Quality FMV Playback on 5th Generation Consoles (NOT Streaming Animation)

Death Bringer Raging in the Streets Black_Tiger's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TrekkiesUnite118 View Post
    Yes it would require CPU resources, but I think you might be overestimating it's CPU footprint. After all the Sega CD used cinepak and was drawing sprites and things over top of it for quite a few games. Most PS1 games doing stuff like this are only drawing a few simple character models over a 15fps video. If one SH-2 is enough to decode a full screen 15fps cinepak file then the other SH-2 would probably be able to calculate the geometry for a few character models for VDP1 to draw overtop the VDP2 layer the FMV is being drawn to.
    That fmv stage in Mr Bones has what looks like a high res fully textured player model. Which isn't much on its own, but not insignificant compared to fmv/polygonal FFVII scenes.
    Quote Originally Posted by year2kill06
    everyone knows nintendo is far way cooler than sega just face it nintendo has more better games and originals

Quote Originally Posted by Black_Tiger View Post
    That fmv stage in Mr Bones has what looks like a high res fully textured player model. Which isn't much on its own, but not insignificant compared to fmv/polygonal FFVII scenes.
    Which is funny as Mr. Bones uses TrueMotion which if I remember correctly is a bit more CPU Intensive than Cinepak.

There's a number of stages that mix sprite's and FMV backrounds. The 1st stage is kind of jerky mind LOL. For the feature with CRI (in Edge that was for the DC tools) I seem to remember them saying they were using a feature of the SH-4 and it's impact on the the CPU clock was low for ADX (less than 1%) but over 50 % for softdec

Not sure for the Saturn ADX, but I think CRI said it was low too
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
    one of the best 3D shooting games available
    Presented for your pleasure

There's a number of stages that mix sprite's and FMV backrounds. The 1st stage is kind of jerky mind LOL. For the feature with CRI (in Edge that was for the DC tools) I seem to remember them saying they were using a feature of the SH-4 and it's impact on the the CPU clock was low for ADX (less than 1%) but over 50 % for softdec

Not sure for the Saturn ADX, but I think CRI said it was low too.

I think the Saturn could have done FF7, it was FF8 that took FMV and mixturemof sprites to another level . Stil In saying that one did have the likes of Slypheed, Cadillac and Dinosaur s, Dracula on the humble Mega CD and similar games on the FM Towns and 3D0
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is

Master of Shinobi

Yes it would require CPU resources, but I think you might be overestimating it's CPU footprint. After all the Sega CD used cinepak and was drawing sprites and things over top of it for quite a few games. Most PS1 games doing stuff like this are only drawing a few simple character models over a 15fps video. If one SH-2 is enough to decode a full screen 15fps cinepak file then the other SH-2 would probably be able to calculate the geometry for a few character models for VDP1 to draw overtop the VDP2 layer the FMV is being drawn to.
    I'm not saying it uses too much, just that whatever it uses will always cut into resources you could be using on game math.

I DON'T LIKE POKEMON Hero of Algol j_factor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by zyrobs View Post
    On the Playstation there's dedicated audio and video compression available; the system can decompress BRR ADPCM and MJPEG and not have its polygon capabilities diminished
    How true is this in practice? I don't think I ever got the impression that games that made major use of FMV had just as many polygons in just the non-FMV objects in frame, compared to the poly count in a fully polygonal game.

You just can't handle my jawusumness responces.

The opening FMV here seems to be the same on both Saturn and PS1, and fullscreen to boot:

Though the less is said about the framerate during a fight, the better… (ouch)

For science I did some real hardware recordings to see if video connections made any difference for hiding cinepak artifacts.

Composite:

S-Video:

It does make a difference. I remember in the Mega CD days too, going to the trouble of playing the FMV games via RCA ,rather than Scart. Scart was so pin sharp, it really hurt the FMV.

I played RE in both RF and Scart on my Saturn back in the day and the Scart shows up the artifacts that little bit more.
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is

I figured I'd post these here, I was helping out with the Lunar Translation and it looks like we may be able to boost the FMV quality. The first test was 320x224 @ 15fps. But that wont actually work in game as the game is hardcoded to use it's smaller resolution. Though we can change this, changing it to the specs for 320x224 causes it to crash. So the other example that we can get to work in game is 288x200 @ 24fps, which is still a nice bump up from the 232x152 the originals run at:

For what it's worth, this is also higher resolution than the PS1 version that runs at 224x192.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingRoad Rasher

For N64, a homebrewer has recently achieved 320x240@20fps H.264 baseline playback. Quite a quality jump over earlier codecs. RSP processing

I figured I'd post these here, I was helping out with the Lunar Translation and it looks like we may be able to boost the FMV quality. The first test was 320x224 @ 15fps. But that wont actually work in game as the game is hardcoded to use it's smaller resolution. Though we can change this, changing it to the specs for 320x224 causes it to crash. So the other example that we can get to work in game is 288x200 @ 24fps, which is still a nice bump up from the 232x152 the originals run at:

For what it's worth, this is also higher resolution than the PS1 version that runs at 224x192.
    I don't understand why would you want to go higher than 20fps??? Your drive throughput is limited; 20fps gives 16.6% more bandwidth to your codec meaning less artifacts.

Quote Originally Posted by turboxray View Post
    I don't understand why would you want to go higher than 20fps??? Your drive throughput is limited; 20fps gives 16.6% more bandwidth to your codec meaning less artifacts.
    I've mentioned it before but I think that's what kills a lot of Saturn FMVs. They almost always are going for 24fps or even 30fps. 24fps is what the Original Lunar FMVs are encoded at on Saturn with a very low bit rate and resolution as they crammed them all on one disc.

Death Bringer Raging in the Streets Black_Tiger's Avatar

When it comes to handdrawn animation, if you can determine that it was animated at the equivalent of <12fps, it's probably worthwhile to tarfet 12fps at a higher resolution.

The camera moves and any background scrolling won't be as smooth, but if there's a healthy amount of hand animated assets most of the time it would look better... as long as you can match the animated frames to the fmv frames.
    Quote Originally Posted by year2kill06
    everyone knows nintendo is far way cooler than sega just face it nintendo has more better games and originals

I'm curious what the FMV codec decoders are taking on the Saturn resource wise. I wonder if there's enough processor room for blending artifacts (microblock 'errors') to smooth some of them over. Because I mean really, it not such that they are artifacts, just that they standout because they are hard edged.

Thread Information