Quantcast

Thread: Sega CD repairs questions

Default Sega CD repairs questions

Hello everyone,

I recently took my games systems out of storage and was able to get everyone one up and running except for my sega CD. It just wont power on. I checked the pica fuse and it seems to have good connection on both ends but I noticed a brown or red fuse or diod, resister, not sure that I can't get a good connection from. This might be the issue can someone tell me what this is?
    sega.jpg

Banned by Administrators

Thank goodness for your post ysbook12.I have many sega cd model 1's currently;plus I repair them then resell them for over $89.99 or just offer a $49.99 fix fee to those interested.However there was 1 out of the 100's I fixed over the years that baffled me.It's the same 837-8953 sub board;but me problem was the "tr3 and tr4" section of me board not the "d1" (correct ?) section like yours.However there seems to be no way for me to fix me issue even after numerous attempts and replacement parts eh nobody can always fix everything in life plus there is a limit to how many times I will solder the same area.

So perhaps I can just sell you me sub board so you can salvage the "d1", "f1" or any other components (diodes, resisters, fuses, etc) you need to give your sub board the connection/lead/power it needs.I hate to waste things;so when I saw your post I figured eh well if me sub board is shot because of me section;perhaps you can at least salvage yours. Here;I flipped your picture around (top) then added me picture below lining it up as best I could so you can see what I mean.

Here are more pictures if needed.

Diode still intact eh.

Last edited by phoenix; 01-27-2015 at 06:28 PM.

Nameless One

@phoenix. I'm interested in buying a sega cd model 1 from you. Are you interested in trades too? If not I'd still like to buy one. Please send me an email so we can sort out the details. Thanks!

Thank you for the offer and letting me know what the item is that I can't get a connection to. For now I think I will keep my current board and try to replace the diode. I am pretty sure I can desolder it and get a replacement based on the color bars on the diode. I will keep you up and if it doesn't go well I would be interested in a Model 1 Sega CD.

Best wishes,
    Dave

Ran into very similar issues with a friends Sega CD this past weekend. I thought it was just something like a few caps bulging/bursting- but after replacing some caps, we still had the same issue....

Sega CD connected and the Genesis tried to connect to it, but the splash screen just hung there with no Sega Logo and no music.
    Attachment 9577

When we tested the board, it seems like there is a spot where the power stops travelling....
    Attachment 9578

jW8yj4.jpg

Will take some ideas and advice from this thread for solutions.

Banned by Administrators

Yea me friends;there seems to be a spot just before the middle of our sub boards that power is dwindling;but all 3 of us seem to have different sections of the same sub board doing it.For me it was TR4, his was D1 and yours is?I definitely keep me offer out if somebody wants me sub board they can have it or if they need a sega cd model 1 I sell them cheap.It is a shame when things can't be fixed;but it happens eh.I had to learn the hard way that we can't fix everything.But maybe me parts on me board could help somebody else out.gamescapeonline picture with hands on tester reminded me of a month straight of trying to sort out my sub board.
    Last edited by phoenix; 01-27-2015 at 04:48 PM.

Raging in the Streets SEGA.GENESIS1989's Avatar

*removed* Not interested anymore!
    Last edited by SEGA.GENESIS1989; 01-27-2015 at 06:01 PM.
    "There's nothing to fear, except fear itself"
    http://i1054.photobucket.com/albums/s486/link2link2link/YUZOKOSHIROISAGODNEOSEEDEDITION.gif

Long live the Model 1 SCD. Good luck fellas.
    MY SEGAS
    [Model 1 Sega CD x 5] [Model 1 HD Genesis w/Component Video] [Model 2 Genesis] [32X CIB] [Master System Model 3010] [Nomad w/LCD mod] [Dreamcast] [Saturn] [Game Gear]

Banned by Administrators

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix View Post
    Thank goodness for your post ysbook12. I have about 10 sega cd model 1's currently, plus I repair them then resell them for $89.99 or just offer a $49.99 fix fee to those interested. However there was 1 out of the 100's I fixed over the years that baffled me. It's the same 837-8953 sub board, but my problem was the "tr3 and tr4" section of board not the "d1" (correct ?) section like yours. However there seems to be no way for me to fix my issue even after numerous attempts and replacement parts (Nobody can always fix everything in life plus there is a limit to how many times I will solder the same area). So perhaps I can just sell you my sub board so you can salvage the "d1", "f1" or any other components (diodes, resisters, fuses, etc) you need to give your sub board the connection/lead/power it needs. I hate to waste things, so when I saw your post I figured...well if my sub board is shot because of my section, perhaps you can at least salvage yours. Here, I flipped your picture around (top) then added my picture below lining it up as best I could so you can see what I mean.

http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthr...-thread/page32
    Ok, I finally did manage to fix it.

Last edited by phoenix; 11-15-2014 at 05:25 PM.

Banned by Administrators

I even made me own pcm/hobby board tester for cd unit so I can easily test the cd units with ribbon cable outside the sega cd.Saves me time ripping genesis on and off the top;plugging everything in;taking things apart;putting back together;yadda yadda eh.I'll post that picture soon.

Edit :

I will post a video soon too.
    Last edited by phoenix; 01-27-2015 at 04:50 PM.

Thread Information