Quantcast

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Captain America & the Avengers

Default Captain America & the Avengers

Most super hero games turn out, well...less than good. Ah hell, let's be honest. Most of them just plain suck. With Captain America & the Avengers, Data East took a campy, corny arcade game and brought it home pretty faithfully to the Genesis. Still, a good port of a bad game is still a bad game. To see how bad it can get, read our full review.
    Last edited by Melf; 07-19-2011 at 12:52 PM.

Outrunner

Yeah, I definately have to disagree. This game deserves about a 5. Its campy, its cheesy, but its actually kinda fun once you have the controls down. Not very memorable, but its a generic beat'em up. Deserves a score of Fair, not Bad...

With as rare as expensive as it is, I doubt many ppl have a copy. DP price on this one's about 20.

Ebay probably much less though, judging from how badly it was massacred in reviews lol.
    Mel (aka Tritium)
    ----

Good god, $20 complete? The SNES version goes for dirt cheap.

I think that 2 is a little extreme, but this is definately not a good game. I used to play this all time because I'd frequently be reminded of how fun Spider Man The Arcade Game was, and this seemed an appropriate choice to ease that craving, even though it never helped the situation and the game was the same crap every time. Eventually I wisened up and haven't played it since, but tonight I'm intrigued and will likely fire it up again, only moments later to be hit with that familiar wave of disappointment. I can't even dictate why this game irritates me so much, it's just this total package of mediocrity that's somehow indescribable.

I always chose Iron Man.. for some reason he's always stuck me as being so amazingly cool.

I also disagree with the rating. This game is a 5 or 6. The game wouldn't be the same without the cheesy voices.

The game is maybe a 5 or a 6 for comedic reasons. As a beat-'em up (and a scrolling shooter!), though, it is a total failure. It's just so plain and frustrating even when compared to the first Streets of Rage (which I would give a 6). To me, a 2 reflects how senseless and pointless this game is, whereas a 5 would be saying "hey, this is okay but dull!"

n.W.o 4 life Road Rasher StRiDA CoL's Avatar

Cmon

CA and A in not that bad i would give it a 6 cause it hasent aged well compared to Final Fight and SoR,

an this game is frustarting
    \"It\'s one of lifes many mysteries like why is my nose filled with army guys\"-Homer j Simpson

O\'DOYAL RULZ!!!!
    O\'DOYAL RULZ!!!!

I also disagree with the rating. I would give it a solid 6. Its a simple, cheesy beat 'em up that is pretty darn faithful to the arcade game. It is also a BILLION times better than the SNES version.

Not saying it could compete with the Streets of Rage series or anything but its not THAT bad.

I'm curious, raystorm, what makes the Genesis version so much better than the SNES?

It has all the voices, for one thing. It's also pretty darn close to the arcade in terms of levels and such. The graphics took a hit, but most everything else from the arcade original is there.

I think that's the problem with CA&tA. The Genesis game is a good port, and all its problems (save the graphics) were present in the coin-op. All the campiness and cheese was already there.

Interesting. I've only played the SNES port, and it controls like an utter donkey. Quite an uncomfortable gaming experience, really.

Quote Originally Posted by Janus' review of the Marvel cheese
    Assembled here for the good of the world (well, the USA anyway) are Captain America, Iron Man, Bullseye and Vision
    The most minor of corrections, the dude's actually named Hawkeye.

EDIT: ..and that little exchange of dialogue between Whirlwind and ol' Captain America at the end of the review should be the other way around. Arg.. who cares. It was an amusing review.

Actually, there isn't only a Captain America movie in production, but also an Iron Man movie!

Now all we need is a Vision mini-series, so we can find out why the hell we should care he exists.

Still though, the review was kinda funny, especially with the dialouge already being present. You forgot about the Laser Cannon conspiricy.

The entire plot of this game is about Red Bull(Skull, excuse me) having a lazer cannon on the moon. The Avengers find this lazer, which for some reason isn't shooting anything. Then, as you fall down into the space station, you kick the lazer 5 times. Then it explodes.

The game should be over right there.

But yeah, I still liked the game. Enough to buy it for almost $40 used!

Quote Originally Posted by Drixxel
    Quote Originally Posted by Janus' review of the Marvel cheese
    Assembled here for the good of the world (well, the USA anyway) are Captain America, Iron Man, Bullseye and Vision
    The most minor of corrections, the dude's actually named Hawkeye.

EDIT: ..and that little exchange of dialogue between Whirlwind and ol' Captain America at the end of the review should be the other way around. Arg.. who cares. It was an amusing review.

Holy hell, you're right. How'd I miss that, being the big Avengers fan that I am?

Fixed!

"They're in the sea!"
    "Thank you, Submariner!"

Simply awesome.

Just thought of something else. Wasn't the water level the 4th level? You seem to mix both the second level and the 4th level together?

"FEEEEL MY POWEEEEEEEEER!"

Thread Information