Quantcast

Thread: Sega SG-1000 Mark 2 - Power question

Wildside Expert

Default Sega SG-1000 Mark 2 - Power question

Hoping someone can clarify this for me, I'm awaiting delivery of an SG-1000 Mark 2 from Japan.
    I live in the UK, so I initially thought I would need a stepdown transformer.

However I've also read that the Master System or Mega CD 2 Power Bricks work themselves as power convertors ? So could I use my UK Master System power brick in the SG-1000 ?

Is this true ? Or would I be better served with a stepdown transformer as I don't want to fry my newly acquired piece of Hardware.

Wildside Expert

As long as the output DC voltage, and polarity is the same and rated amps are the same or higher you can use any power adaptor of your choice.

The 220 / 110V difference only concerns the voltage present at the wall socket. The transformer steps it down (typically a 9:1 or 10:1 transformer in united states console ones) and 9-12 volts DC is present to the console. At that point, the console has no idea what the mains voltage or frequency it is, it doesn't care. Using a UK power adapter in the UK to power an NTSC console is fine, and using an NTSC power adapter to power a PAL console is fine too.

tl;dr the transformer made for the region you are in will provide the correct voltage for the console. You may use your UK Master System power brick so long as they both expect ~9V, center pin negative.

Wildside Expert

Thanks for your replies, the Master System power brick works fine.
    However (I really must stop impulse buying) I didn't take into account this is a RF only console and Japanese NTSC RF signal is not compatible with PAL RF TV's so I now need to find a work around for that

Thread Information