Quantcast

Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Mortal Kombat II

Raging in the Streets KnightWarrior's Avatar

Default Mortal Kombat II

I still think Probe did a shit job with MKII as well as MK

Why didn't Sculptured Software do the port?

VA1LT CHIP ENABLED Master of Shinobi OverDrone's Avatar

I agree.

Didn't MKII use a 24 Meg ROM? Begs the question why they couldn't shoehorn in a lot more samples than they actually did. They still couldn't get it right for the 32X version either, or the friggin' Saturn port for that matter.

The graphics and controls were handled well, but sound was a huge part of the MK experience for me so I was as disappointed as everyone else in that regard.

Outrunner

One thing I never understood about the Genesis version was why Probe felt the need to cut corners on specific things that stuck out like a goddamn sore thumb. Why cut Baraka's winning animation down by so many frames? Why completely remove the flying robed guy in the one background?

What's even more ridiculous is that the copy written on back of the 32x box hypes it up with selling points that do nothing but point out the gigantic cuts that went missing in the Genesis version (but were present in the SNES version). "Unleash Johnny Cage's real shadow kick!" Well if Probe wasn't a bunch of incompetent programmers we'd have had a proper green kick to start with, along with sound clips and cinemas. When people refer to the 32x as something that turns your Genesis into a SNES it's ports like this that lend validity to that statement.

Never underestimate the human factor in game development or porting. Both Genny and SNES have been victim of this.

At least MK1 is a pretty nice port IMO, they just fucked up the voices and some animations, graphics are decent enough.

MK3 was ported by Sculpture right? it's alright, but the controls are kinda sluggish for me, similar to MK1 for SNES, and there are even some rushed animations like Smoke's spear. They clearly did a much better effort with MK3 on SNES.

UMK3 is a much better port though, better than the SNES one imo, it plays perfectly and looks/sounds good for the most part.
    Last edited by Vludi; 10-22-2014 at 12:45 AM.

Yep, Sculptured did MK3 on the Genesis, That's why it's a better port then MK & MKII on the Genesis

Antiquing Hedgehog Lord QuickSciFi's Avatar

Nah.

I will just have to say: I disagree.

This is a 16-bit port of an Arcade game. And, on the SEGA GENESIS, it came out AWESOME!!!

Quote Originally Posted by KnightWarrior View Post
    Yep, Sculptured did MK3 on the Genesis, That's why it's a better port then MK & MKII on the Genesis
    The graphics are more bearable but it plays worse than MK1 and 2 for genesis, like i said before. Just try doing combos on MK3 and UMK3, UMK3 plays like a dream in comparison.

Quit saying MK1, It's just MK or Mortal Kombat

If Sculptured did Mortal Kombat II on the Genesis, It would come out good..If they did the 32X version..It will be close to the Super NES version

Then why MK1-ONE-UNO for SNES developed by Sculptured plays like shit in comparison?

Come on, some of their SNES ports were nice, but the genesis port wasn't that much better from the probe ports, unless all you care about are graphics. And people tend to overrate the SNES MK2 port just because it got the graphics right, music is pretty muffled and all voices sound girly.
    Last edited by Vludi; 10-22-2014 at 01:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by QuickSciFi View Post
    Nah.

I will just have to say: I disagree.

This is a 16-bit port of an Arcade game. And, on the SEGA GENESIS, it came out AWESOME!!!
    I'll have to disagree with your disagreement

MKII on the Genesis was a disappointment to me. The music lost all the foreboding overtones of the arcade tunes (the music was OK, but its new euro-dance/electronica style just didn't fit with the game's dark and ominous atmosphere), the number of voices cut was staggering, the amount of trimming done to character animations and backgrounds was ridiculous, the color loss in spots was baffling (grey-only and red-only guts and limbs?), and the only saving grace of the game was that the controls were good. The Genesis could have done a better port in more competent hands at that time. The problem is, Probe wasn't competent hands.

Currently Reviewing: Galaxy Force (SMS)
    Coming Up:TF3 Side by Side
    Done:

i firmly believe the genesis could have a much better looking, sounding, playing port with capable people doing it. The same with mk 2, as others already have added so much to the game already.

I'd love to see some support for mk in regards to graphic changes and additions of sound.

Raging in the Streets

MK1 looks fucking horrible on the Genesis, the game has aged about as well as milk. Horrible sprites, horrible colour choices, clunky as all hell controls. Just straight up awful in every conceivable way almost, the only thing I find myself not vomiting at is the music, oh I forgot the sound, the grunts when people get hit are horrendous.

MK2 is a massive improvement, sure it has it's issues, it's missing samples but it's a hell of a lot nicer than MK1.

Nameless One

Not to mention that the characters are smaller than the arcade and snes. Am I also the only one who was bothered by the fact that the power bars with the names didn't look anything like the arcade. I'll be honest, I'll defend and prefer genesis to the death over snes but the snes port with the exception of the missing blood is superior to the genesis version in every way.

Quote Originally Posted by Mpavlic1018 View Post
    Not to mention that the characters are smaller than the snes.
    No they aren't, genesis version has higher resolution, therefore people think they are "smaller".

Also, SNES version better in every way? even on gameplay? pffft hahah. Not to mention the music is pretty awful too.

Thread Information