Quantcast

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Mortal Kombat II

Quote Originally Posted by Mpavlic1018 View Post
    Not to mention that the characters are smaller than the arcade and snes. Am I also the only one who was bothered by the fact that the power bars with the names didn't look anything like the arcade. I'll be honest, I'll defend and prefer genesis to the death over snes but the snes port with the exception of the missing blood is superior to the genesis version in every way.
    The snes has those weird controls, like a delay was added so u had to plan the moves out in advance, it played terribly.

The genesis looked and sounded bad but played really well. And I agree with you on the health bars!

mkII dosent look bad, its a big improvement over previous game but snes version is bether.
    MkII on md lacks alot of voices samples, the music is less acurate to arcade and the backgrounds is missing some details but the sprites is bigger and more detailed than snes version.

Last edited by Pyron; 10-22-2014 at 08:55 PM.

Visit my youtube channel Pyron's Lair
    Take here all my hacks made with love for all of us here
    Want to help me? Here is my Patreon!

Hero of Algol

Probe's MKII on the Mega Drive has a ton of flaws but I think people tend exaggerate quite a lot about it; just as much as they tend to overhype the SNES port.
    Some appointments I'd like to do for the sake of the mental sanity of this discussion:
    - Despite the cuts on end of round standings and recycling in some movements, the MD version has far better character animation than the SNES version - which is quite sluggish and half-assed in such aspect, with the characters not being fully animated every screen update like on the Arcade or on the MD.
    - The gameplay on the SNES is nowhere near to the arcade in terms of speed, unlike the MD version.
    - There are dozens of voice samples missing in the Mega Drive version but the ones which are there are "high quality" compared to the vast majority of the MD library and the playback quality is also very good. IIRC most of the samples are played in the range of 13-15 KHz; SFII stuff is played at 4.5 KHz for comparison.
    Probe could probably have fitted a several more voice samples in those same 24 Mbit if they had went with lower quality samples.
    - SNES version is impressively accurate in terms of content for a 16-bit console port but in terms of animation, gameplay and sound it's nowhere near as accurate as people usually say.

I want to know in what universe the MD version sounds "bad". Matt Furniss did a great job with the music and the voice samples that remained are of good quality.

The Cat in the Hat Shining Hero NeoVamp's Avatar

I honestly wonder how Sculptured Software managed to cram all that stuff into the Snes version, its unreal if you compare it.

1. Snes has like 80% if not more of the sfx. Genesis has 6 sound samples and some grunts.
    2. Snes has Goro's Lair, Genesis has a palette swapped portal. :/
    3. Snes has winning frames for Baraka and Cage, Genesis cut them off so they look silly.
    4. Snes has bio pics. Genesis doesn't even have bio's at all.
    5. Snes has ending pics. Genesis didn't even bother with a still screen, it just scrolls past.
    6. Snes has a text intro explaining the storyline, Genesis didn't even bother.
    7. Snes has a sweet "YOU FOUND A HIDDEN FIGHTER!" moment, Genesis treats us to a quick tinny dun-dun-dun.

I agree that the Genesis version plays better, but there's just no eye/ear candy at all. which makes for a very boring experience.

I swear they made it shitty on purpose, Just so they could sell us the 32X version later on.

oh and as for the removed floating monk in the background? that's done due to palette limitations,
    I tried putting him back but he'd need to be redrawn, there's not a single palette entry left in there.

And that's what Sculptured Software did differently, they put the lifebar/text as part of the sprites instead of the background
    like Probe did with their port, so its either lower quality fighters and better backgrounds or better fighters and worse backgrounds.

Personally I think Sculptured Software's approach would have been better with MKII, its just more colorful then MK3.

Though I hate Probe I will say that Sculptured only handled the SNES port. Probe got the Genesis, Game Gear,SMS,Game Boy, SCD, Amiga, 32X, Saturn, PSx and DOS versions. You would think that ACK-LAME would've more evenly distributed the development bt whatever. Thing is with me is that the SNES version looked and sounded like the arcade version. The Genesis version sorta looked like it but it was soupy and muddled looking. Then the music was completely changed and the voices yes they're actually of higher quality than what Capcom was giving us but at least Capcom put damn near all of the voice samples in there games. That is the rare time I would take quantity over quality. And even with 32 megs and the 660MB's on the Saturn they still couldn't get all the voices in.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zoltor View Post
    Japan on the other hand is in real danger, if Japanese men don't start liking to play with their woman, more then them selves, experts calculated the Japanese will be extinct within 300 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Da_Shocker View Post
    and DOS versions
    I still say those fuckers secretly outsourced that to another company, its too good a port to have been done by Probe.

Quote Originally Posted by NeoVamp View Post
    I still say those fuckers secretly outsourced that to another company, its too good a port to have been done by Probe.
    Published by
    Acclaim Entertainment, Inc.
    Developed by
    Midway Games, Inc.
    Released

Visit my youtube channel Pyron's Lair
    Take here all my hacks made with love for all of us here
    Want to help me? Here is my Patreon!

Quote Originally Posted by Pyron View Post
    Published by
    Acclaim Entertainment, Inc.
    Developed by
    Midway Games, Inc.
    Released
    Published by Acclaim.

Originally developed by Midway.

Ported by Probe (according to the intro of the dos port)

But secretly outsourced to Taiwan!

Edit : I looked into it, they had a programmer called Brian O'Shaughnessy port it, and according to his
    game credits he didn't really work on other Probe related games.

So I guess they did outsource it in a way.
    Last edited by NeoVamp; 10-23-2014 at 12:24 AM.

Outrunner

Quote Originally Posted by Mpavlic1018 View Post
    Am I also the only one who was bothered by the fact that the power bars with the names didn't look anything like the arcade.
    Yes, it's looks extremely lame. The Sega CD version is a mild improvement but nothing near as nice the SNES one. I remember being pumped over the initial screens for the SCD version only to find out they were SNES shots and the SCD version looked only a tiny bit better by including shit the cart should have in the first place.

It always seemed to me that most of the voices in MK were distorted to the point they sounded like original recordings. The while you can clearly tell the "fight" announcement it is so far removed from the original it sounds like something Probe recorded themselves, same with some of the generic grunts and groans. Another thing that annoyed the hell out of me was how extremely, extremely lame Cage's shadow kick looked and the fact they never even bothered to change it for the SCD version. At least they corrected Kano's uppercut to include the full animation so it didn't have that extreme range the cart version had.

I had Mortal Kombat II for the Game Boy. 2 buttons, motherfucker. And yet it was somehow totally awesome. So much better than the first installment on the Game Boy (kill it with fire!!!).

Thumbs down

On another note why the flying fuck did we not get the entire intro and I mean not just the portraits but the fighting sequences forom :34 on?

This sent shivers up my spine the first time I scene it yet it was on NONE of the ports. I mean would it had really been that hard to put it in there?
    Quote Originally Posted by Zoltor View Post
    Japan on the other hand is in real danger, if Japanese men don't start liking to play with their woman, more then them selves, experts calculated the Japanese will be extinct within 300 years.

For great justice! Outrunner Tor Landeel's Avatar

Well I see it just like an extended attract mode. I don't really like it very much, TBH
    ***** トル・ランディール ******
    Cadash Arcade Colors hack:
    https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/3905/
    Out Run Arcade Colors hack:
    https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/3940/

Quote Originally Posted by Da_Shocker View Post
    I mean would it had really been that hard to put it in there?
    for Mortal Kombat II Unlimited I tried asking Smoke if he could put the fighting into the intro, but he said that the
    Genesis probably couldn't load it fast enough to be change it as quickly as the Arcade version.

Interestingly enough the Snes did put Shao Kahn's death into MKII, remember that part where he says "NO, NO, NOOOOO"?
    originally you see all the backgrounds quickly swap behind him, with Snes its muuuuuch slower. but its still there.
    So yeah, seems neither Snes or Genesis are fast enough to quickly swap backgrounds.

Mortal Kombat II Unlimited is a amazing proof that the Sega mega drive was able to have voices + intros next quality arcade.
    I still wanted to see that same improvements but without the extra characters and backgrounds, only with the details of the arcade, a Mortal Kombat II Arcade Perfect
    like this project for Sega MD's UMK3:http://elektropage.ru/forum/11-101-1
    Smoke rules!
    Last edited by LinkueiBR; 10-23-2014 at 05:52 PM.
    VISUAL SHOCK!
    SPEED SHOCK!
    SOUND SHOCK!
    NOW IS TIME TO THE 68000 HEART ON FIRE!

Prince of Persia 2 - The Shadow and the Flame Remastered Edition v1.5

Thread Information