Quantcast

Thread: Usenet archives and convos=goldmine for Genesis info and reference!

Default Usenet archives and convos=goldmine for Genesis info and reference!

*breathes deeply*

Finally, I'm able to create threads! With that out of the way, I'd like to make a suggestion to any and all of you guys who contribute or would like to contribute to the site (if this method has already been suggested or well-known then disregard this thread!).......

Over these last couple of months this youngster has discovered the wealth of archived knowledge and facts that are old usenet groups and convos (via Google Groups). One of the first things I did was look up convos and threads on the Genesis, and I found many and then some! I read convos from as far back as weeks before it's late summer '89 launch, the anticipation, speculation, misinformed and incorrect statements and whatnot. The same can be said for many Genny-related usenet fare that spanned throughout our console's lifetime. But after sifting through most of that stuff and even more crap inbetween, I found some gems here and there (which I don't have the links to at this moment) like game release dates from retailers, in-depth console port comparisons not unlike some of those around here and neat facts and tidbits here and there.

So, if you've got some time (read: a lot) on your hands and are willing to make the effort to sift through lots of stuff, I suggest you guys hit up those old usenet archives if you happen to be itching to find out more about anything Genesis-related. For us peasants who don't (and probably never will) meet and interview those big-wigs from the Genesis era, this is probably the next best thing!

So..........how's it sound???

I've actually done that a few times. It's crazy that all that stuff is archived...

While i'll probably search it tomorrow, putting the best pieces together could make for a good article.

I was surprised people had so much insider knowledge on systems and games back then, when video game magazines ruled the roost for those of us without a PC and internet connection. Hell, I thought that the internet was mostly barren and non-existent before Windows '95 came out! And I see usenet conversations from as far back as the late '80's!

Yup, newsgroups can have some great posts. I used to post on RVGS (rec.video.games.sega) a lot in the late 90s to the early-mid 00's. Had lots of discussion with members like KKC, Scott and Bel (owner of whipassgaming.com)... I used to do game searches on late nights a lot, and find posts of people describing their Saturn launch day purchase experiences, etc. It's sweet how that stuff's been archived like that.

Indeed. Same goes for the early Genesis impressions.

Death Adder's minion

Quote Originally Posted by Aarzak View Post
    Indeed. Same goes for the early Genesis impressions.
    This may be the biggest thread digging ever! And sorry for that!

I don't even know how I found this thread but can someone tell me if this "archives" are still available? I do not have any idea how can I "enter" this newsgroups thing!

Thanks!

You can search for terms like: https://groups.google.com/forum/#!search/sega$20genesis
    Or go directly to a Usenet server: https://groups.google.com/forum/#!fo...t.sega.genesis
    Or search inside a server. The main trick is to get the older content. In the search pages I think it's organized by server, from newer to older. So it takes scrolling to get to the good stuff from the early 90s.

Death Adder's minion

Quote Originally Posted by Genesis Knight View Post
    You can search for terms like: https://groups.google.com/forum/#!search/sega$20genesis
    Or go directly to a Usenet server: https://groups.google.com/forum/#!fo...t.sega.genesis
    Or search inside a server. The main trick is to get the older content. In the search pages I think it's organized by server, from newer to older. So it takes scrolling to get to the good stuff from the early 90s.
    Thank you for your reply.

Well, in the last few days I have been reading, exploring and using at an extreme level my mouse wheel!
    I am astonished with how many messages from the past were made about Sega. It's like getting a time machine and get to read and feel what people was feeling back in the early 90s. An era that I didn't even know what Internet was (and that existed).
    I wonder how those users and posters are now, if they still have Sega in their hearts as they did 30 years ago (!!).

Today I reached the last message I could track, and it's dated as January 3rd 1993 (01/23/93). This is the oldest post that I can find. The original poster of this thread @Aarzak , wrote in 2007 that he could read messages from 1989. I have tried to get to older messages than 1993 but without success. I assume that maybe Google Groups is deleting older messages??

I have another question to whom may help me. Google Groups is an very interesting website, but it's a pain in the ass to scroll, and read very old messages. I was wondering if there is any software, any database style or something where I can download all content from that alt.sega.genesis group?
    It would help me a lot to get a easier platform to read, and also to archive those messages since I'm assuming (as I said earlier) that Google Groups is removing older messages.

Thanks to all that can provide me any help on this.

Thread Information