Quantcast

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Quake II engine being rebuilt and optimized for a Stock Atari Falcon030

Nameless One

Default Quake II engine being rebuilt and optimized for a Stock Atari Falcon030

Douglas Little, or DML is reworking and optimizing the Quake II engine for the STOCK Falcon030. And he has made incredible progress.
    He is pioneering a technique for fixed point perspective correct texturing He is reducing and optimizing the code in all areas. It is very interesting to watch his progress like Chilly Willy and I have been. So I figured I'd point it out here for others to see.

The ramifications for this is in theory the Quake II engine could be used on the Saturn or 32x since most all of it is being prototyped in C first. When it's done it might actually be one of the most optimized software 3D engines in existence.

In the end though DML says this is an EXPERIMENT to see how far he can take it. He does not know if he can make the whole game work reasonably on a stock Atari Falcon with 14mb ram.

Stock Atari Falcon specs:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atari_Falcon

Here is his progress thread.

http://www.atari-forum.com/viewtopic...4e54&start=250

Here is his videos on YT:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTB...i5nOvpEobZzMEw

Enjoy, like Chilly Willy and I have been.
    Last edited by A31Chris; 11-09-2014 at 09:34 PM.

Hero of Algol

This thing looks really promising.
    Thanks a lot for sharing it, A31Chris! Rep given!

Very nice. The Falcon is a lovely machine, hope this project is successful.

My dad had a Falcon, I played a lot of breakout on that thing when I was really young! It's cool to see something new for it.

Hero of Algol

Quote Originally Posted by A31Chris View Post
    Rep given for keeping us posted about this a-w-e-s-o-m-e effort.

I might have shitted my pants when I watched the video featuring a textured map.

Wow, averaging 10fps with texture on.
    Very impressive.

16-bits is all he needs Master of Shinobi matteus's Avatar

The ramifications for this is in theory the Quake II engine could be used on the Saturn or 32x since most all of it is being prototyped in C first. When it's done it might actually be one of the most optimized software 3D engines in existence.
    Surely without a RAM cart it would be out of the question for the Saturn or 32x? But it's an amazing achievement for the Falcon! I'm gob smacked! I'll be subscribing to this fella on Youtube now!

Quote Originally Posted by matteus View Post
    Surely without a RAM cart it would be out of the question for the Saturn or 32x? But it's an amazing achievement for the Falcon! I'm gob smacked! I'll be subscribing to this fella on Youtube now!
    The Saturn has cheap ram carts (Action Replay Plus, for example). 32X would have to get by on a big rom. But the main point isn't Quake itself, it's the rendering pipe he's making. You'd want his rendering in your own engine aimed at the Saturn or 32X. Something not so ambitious.

16-bits is all he needs Master of Shinobi matteus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Chilly Willy View Post
    The Saturn has cheap ram carts (Action Replay Plus, for example). 32X would have to get by on a big rom. But the main point isn't Quake itself, it's the rendering pipe he's making. You'd want his rendering in your own engine aimed at the Saturn or 32X. Something not so ambitious.
    I see now that makes more sense

Nameless One

Quote Originally Posted by matteus View Post
    WHY does everybody keep saying this? The answer to that question, at least regarding the Saturn has been right in front of our faces since 1999...

Quake II on the 3mb PSX: <== That reads THREE MEGABYTEs. Not eight like the original PC Quake wanted. Not 14mb like the Falcon030 has. And certainly not the SIXTEEN required by the PC version of Quake II. THREE MEGABYTES. THREE.

ok now go ahead and watch the video :P :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QYc5TC2QwAE

Also I am going to guess that just the engine part DML has made to take up a lot less room. He has wiggled things in to fit into 256 BYTE caches and cut out/optimized excess 'garbage' code.

That code was all written when 3D was relatively new and now there has been 20 years to think about it. And it appears DML has thought about it A LOT. Things are a lot more trim.
    Last edited by A31Chris; 02-13-2015 at 12:48 AM.

Nameless One

Also Quake one is already on the Saturn. And not a bad job at that.

I need to get my Saturn fixed. It just died.

Also Quake one is already on the Saturn. And not a bad job at that.

I need to get my Saturn fixed. It just died.
    Quake is among the best achievement on Saturn, so is Quake 2 for PS1.
    To a lesser extent Quake 2 is a good effort on N64 too (with the expansion pak).

Nameless One

Quote Originally Posted by Folco View Post
    Quake is among the best achievement on Saturn, so is Quake 2 for PS1.
    To a lesser extent Quake 2 is a good effort on N64 too (with the expansion pak).
    I didn't mean to say 'garbage code'. Probably wrong wording. Just stuff that in hindsight is not needed. Stuff like he posted in this original thread here.

http://www.atari-forum.com/viewtopic...art=25#p256341

Optimizing this:
    Code:
          switch (iplane->type)
          {
          case PLANE_X:
             dot = ccam->c[0] - plane->dist;
             break;
          case PLANE_Y:
             dot = ccam->c[1] - plane->dist;
             break;
          case PLANE_Z:
             dot = ccam->c[2] - plane->dist;
             break;
    to this:

Code:
    idot = ccam->ic[type] - iplane->dist;
    Follow the link if you are interested in the details of why with 20 years of hindsight the above code isn't needed. Point is that is a bit of memory saved and speed gained right there in just that one spot.

The team who did the PSX version of Quake II were under a deadline and rushed. DML has no deadline. He is not rushing. He has more 3D experience than that team did. Probably at this point more than that entire team combined at that time.

No deadlines. No company CEO's wanting it rushed out the door to the consumer. Just plenty of time to relax, have fun and make sure it's the best job he can do. This will be interesting to watch.

Nameless One

I just re-installed Quake II on my backup PC and was playing it yesterday. At a casual glance watching the videos it is hard to tell the difference in the PC map layout and the PSX layout in 3mb of memory. And the PSX version has some graphic upgrades that are better than the PC version. It's an amazing port IMO. And I am not a big fan of the PSX.

Thread Information