Quantcast

Thread: Is it acceptable for members to use the forum to advertise their ebay auctions?

Default Is it acceptable for members to use the forum to advertise their ebay auctions?

I couldn't find any prohibition in the marketplace rules, but there is a new member whose first post is to advertise his high-dollar ebay auction (ebay account also has zero feedback).

I think it's one thing to be new and seek to sell to the community through the forum, but it's another to be new and clearly indicated you're just here to advertise or use the marketplace.

I just joined at neo-geo.com and it looks like they have had a problem with "leechers" among new members and decade long members who only use the market forum. Mods there have started restricting access or banning members over this.

Should sega-16 adopt similar rules?

Angry Liberal Arts Major Hero of Algol Iron Lizard's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gentlegamer View Post
    I couldn't find any prohibition in the marketplace rules, but there is a new member whose first post is to advertise his high-dollar ebay auction (ebay account also has zero feedback).

I think it's one thing to be new and seek to sell to the community through the forum, but it's another to be new and clearly indicated you're just here to advertise or use the marketplace.

I just joined at neo-geo.com and it looks like they have had a problem with "leechers" among new members and decade long members who only use the market forum. Mods there have started restricting access or banning members over this.

Should sega-16 adopt similar rules?
    I'm not sure how to feel about that. Many of the forums I am on do make people post like 100 times or for a month before you can post anything in the selling section. However I sell all sorts of odds and ends. Sometimes I find some sort of specialty item, rare race car parts, old cameras, vintage guitar pickups, $500 Oakleys, etc, that I wish I could just post in one of those forums. Still though I never actually joined a forum though to just post a single thread in the selling section. Sounds like a lot of work. Maybe if it was worth thousands.

Would they be leechers if they had to pay to post an ad? I would pay a few bucks to post in some random forums selling section, next time I find find something neat and rare in the wild.

Formerly segafan1989 Master of Shinobi 4Runner's Avatar

No, it's not acceptable to me. I don't even count those people as "members" because their only purpose is to post for sale auctions and move on. It should not be allowed, but alas I do not control the website.

Iron Lizards idea of making people pay to post these ads (if they did not meet a certain post count or time) would prevent these kinds of dummy ads from happening. The reason I call them dummy ads is because I believe they are posted and then never checked unless the poster is pm'd. It just doesn't sit well with me when people come into forums like this one and have no intention of being a member/contributor.

LEAVE FATALFURY2 AND HIS EXORBITANT EURO-PRICES ALONE!!!!!!!!!!

I don't think someone necessarily has to be active in community discussion in order to post items for sale or auction. That said, Sega-16 already has an "Auction Block" subforum for people to spam eBay links. Ideally, anyone misrepresenting an auction as a sale by posting it outside of that subforum with the "For Sale" tag should be warned and/or banned from posting.

Formerly segafan1989 Master of Shinobi 4Runner's Avatar

You should have a certain number of posts though....or pay for the ad.

Hero of Algol

Quote Originally Posted by 4Runner View Post
    No, it's not acceptable to me. I don't even count those people as "members" because their only purpose is to post for sale auctions and move on. It should not be allowed, but alas I do not control the website.

Iron Lizards idea of making people pay to post these ads (if they did not meet a certain post count or time) would prevent these kinds of dummy ads from happening. The reason I call them dummy ads is because I believe they are posted and then never checked unless the poster is pm'd. It just doesn't sit well with me when people come into forums like this one and have no intention of being a member/contributor.
    This.

100 posts and 3 months of membership should be the bare minimum in order to allow you to create threads in Sonic's Bazaar IMO.

16-bits is all he needs Master of Shinobi matteus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Barone View Post
    This.

100 posts and 3 months of membership should be the bare minimum in order to allow you to create threads in Sonic's Bazaar IMO.
    Agreed

Thread Information