Quantcast

Page 25 of 25 FirstFirst ... 152122232425

Thread: Mode 7 demo for Genesis/MD

Wildside Expert

Quote Originally Posted by Sik View Post
    Not any more than your idea (which requires both tilemaps aligned just right, so you both spend the same amount of space and scrolling is tightly restricted, and both require 256 tiles for graphics).
    Oops, you're right .. i still had tiles that only use the top 8x4 in my head, but when you want to use the scroll-table approach you can simply extend them down of course

Quote Originally Posted by Sik View Post
    In fact, what I mentioned would be less restrictive, since one plane is free and you can still do whatever you want with it.
    I agree, it's less restrictive .. but it's also slightly more complicated / involved. When you use 2 layers the only scroll requirement is that the second layer has a vertical offset of 4 pixels.

I wouldn't say it's really more complicated really though. You just write 0,0,0,0,x,x,x,x,0,0,0,0,x,x,x,x... and so on until you fill all 224 lines (where x = position of the second tilemap, e.g. 256 or 320 pixels). That doesn't really take any extra mental effort. In some cases (e.g. 256px wide screen with 512px wide plane) you may even be able to get away with the padding between rows, effectively avoiding look-up tables for them too.

I suppose the big problem is if for whatever reason you don't want to use per-line scrolling.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-Training eukara's Avatar

Was posted just a few moments ago. Belongs in here!

This is a new version of the G-zero demo, I made this about 8 months ago, but now I want to make it public.

This version doesn't need extra ram on cart, instead I'm using 16KB of the main system ram, so now the sise of the "map area" is 128x128 (instead of 256x256 of the previous mode 7 demos), because of this the "mode 7" graphics look now more "pixelated", but I don't think it looks so bad.

Other advantage of this is that now I can use another 16KB to include a 2 player versus mode with split screen, horizontal or vertical.

For now this is only a demo, but I want to make new graphics, new sprites, nothing related to f-zero series, a new game, and probably other name instead of "g-zero".
    Edit: Seems like superandroidtron beat me to posting it, albeit in the Wolf3D thread
    Last edited by eukara; 12-10-2019 at 01:24 AM.

The good news for me is that gasega is alive and well...

also is nice see thats he keeps making his projects

Visit my youtube channel Pyron's Lair
    Take here all my hacks made with love for all of us here
    Want to help me? Here is my Patreon!

Looks very impressive. Its obviously more pixelated than before, but given how smoothly it runs I think its a good compromise. Hopefully he's been doing well since he last posted a video.

Hi, thanks all for comments (also on wolf3d thread), as I said on the youtube video, I made this about 8 months ago, but only shared this on a discord server, so there are some people that already know about this demo, but now I want to make it public. well my intention was to share the rom yesterday, but I didn't find the time to do so, but anyway here is the rom:

https://www.mediafire.com/file/mhwmc...nanoc.rar/file

Like the previous g-zero With the B button accelerate, button A is the brake, and the C button is the turbo, and now with START you can select 2 types of view.

Master of Shinobi

Awesome job on this demo!

Great job as always gasega68k.

But is it normal that this demo keeps resetting at random intervals (sometimes you can't even start it, it resets instantly) when testing it in real hardware? That didn't happen in previous demos.
    http://www.sega-16.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=154&dateline=15683853  53

This is amazing and then you for all the work you have put into this project.

I only now have found out about this and I look forward into seeing what comes next.

I have posted a video along with a link to this thread on my Facebook page.

https://www.facebook.com/NeverDie197...8323377787683/

Love it.

Another impressive demo

Visit my youtube channel Pyron's Lair
    Take here all my hacks made with love for all of us here
    Want to help me? Here is my Patreon!

Thread Information