Quantcast

Page 26 of 26 FirstFirst ... 162223242526

Thread: Mode 7 demo for Genesis/MD

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-Training

Quote Originally Posted by HyperSnugz View Post
    I can't stress enough how much I'm impressed with this, especially with that absolutely immense Port Town remix...

... kinda wonder how comes nobody has done something like this with the Mega-CD before, though
    Isn't BC Racers for the Mega-CD exactly that sort of thing?

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingSports Talker HyperSnugz's Avatar

I lack much if any knowledge of the library, didn't know of it. Would be cool to have a homebrew equivalent though complete with sources, would definitely be interested in it from both a playability and an archivist side of things ^^
    Last edited by HyperSnugz; 01-18-2022 at 10:56 AM.
    The 32X deserved to exist, if only to pave the way for the creation of the best waifu ever.

Master of Shinobi

BC Racers and the Sonic CD Special Stages worked like that, they were mode 7 "racers". Problem was that they had a low framerate due to needing to transfer too many scaled tiles into the VDP.

How does this demo get around that issue? I didn't follow the discussion, I don't know if this was explained yet or not.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingSports Talker HyperSnugz's Avatar

Yeah... doing it in hardware (MCD ASIC) level with an extremely playable framerate would be infinitely more impressive IMO, even better if one could utilise the 32X's enhanced colour palette in the process.

Not saying that this isn't impressive though because it sure is, and the fact it's on Mega Drive alone means it's much more accessible... but idk, the MD add-ons just wow me for how much untapped potential there is for full-on games to be made for them (and burned CD-Rs work fine in the Mega-CD, so in one respect it's pretty accessible too if the user owns one), particularly with how things like 32X Doom Resurrection have happened, as well as homebrew scenes for other systems/addons of that time.

Heck, I would back a Kickstarter for such a project.
    The 32X deserved to exist, if only to pave the way for the creation of the best waifu ever.

Master of Shinobi

Quote Originally Posted by HyperSnugz View Post
    Yeah... doing it in hardware (MCD ASIC) level with an extremely playable framerate would be infinitely more impressive IMO, even better if one could utilise the 32X's enhanced colour palette in the process.

Not saying that this isn't impressive though because it sure is, and the fact it's on Mega Drive alone means it's much more accessible... but idk, the MD add-ons just wow me for how much untapped potential there is for full-on games to be made for them (and burned CD-Rs work fine in the Mega-CD, so in one respect it's pretty accessible too if the user owns one), particularly with how things like 32X Doom Resurrection have happened, as well as homebrew scenes for other systems/addons of that time.

Heck, I would back a Kickstarter for such a project.
    BC Racers on the 32x already did this, and ran at a much higher frame rate.

The impressive part on this demo is that it runs on stock hardware.

Thread Information