Quantcast

Page 13 of 25 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415161723 ... LastLast

Thread: Mode 7 demo for Genesis/MD

16-bits is all he needs Master of Shinobi matteus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dr apocalipsis View Post
    Half the resolution, and half the frame rate.

Pretty impressive, since he is doing this by software, instead of the dedicated hardware that SNES have for this rotating plane.
    It's extremely impressive

VA1LT CHIP ENABLED Master of Shinobi OverDrone's Avatar

That's just incredible. So fast and smooth, it's amazing.

Death Bringer Raging in the Streets Black_Tiger's Avatar

I'm not looking to ignite console war flaming ir anything, but I'd honestly like to know, if Genesis programmers bitd were as talented as gasega68k and if a Genesis game used an extra chip comparable to those nany SNES games used (like s DSP?)... could a Genesis game have run a "Mode 7" style effect at around the same resolution as SNES and maybe at 40 - 60fps?
    Quote Originally Posted by year2kill06
    everyone knows nintendo is far way cooler than sega just face it nintendo has more better games and originals

Smith's Minister of War Hero of Algol Kamahl's Avatar

You'd never get 60 fps, there's only so much data you can send to the VDP every frame. You'd be able to get better resolution of the texture itself though which would help a lot.

Essentially, look at SoulStar on the Sega CD. That's what can be done.
    This thread needs more... ENGINEERS

Outrunner

Quote Originally Posted by Black_Tiger View Post
    I'm not looking to ignite console war flaming ir anything, but I'd honestly like to know, if Genesis programmers bitd were as talented as gasega68k and if a Genesis game used an extra chip comparable to those nany SNES games used (like s DSP?)... could a Genesis game have run a "Mode 7" style effect at around the same resolution as SNES and maybe at 40 - 60fps?
    Why do you want Mode 7 with chips, since you can use VDP from Virtua Racing and do full 3D?

Quote Originally Posted by Kamahl View Post
    You'd never get 60 fps, there's only so much data you can send to the VDP every frame. You'd be able to get better resolution of the texture itself though which would help a lot.

Essentially, look at SoulStar on the Sega CD. That's what can be done.
    Really good example! Soul star showed just some of the potential of the sega cd

Death Bringer Raging in the Streets Black_Tiger's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nightwolf View Post
    Why do you want Mode 7 with chips, since you can use VDP from Virtua Racing and do full 3D?
    Like I said, comparable. In 1990 SNES had games using a DSP chip. Virtua Racing for Genesis came out the same year as the Saturn and Playstation.

If Mode 7'ish effects could at least have been full screen at same resolution as SNES at 30fps, regular people wouldn't notice the difference, especially when used for high speed "3D". It would have really taken the novelty factor away from the SNES and the games wouldn't have been any more expensive than SNES carts.
    Quote Originally Posted by year2kill06
    everyone knows nintendo is far way cooler than sega just face it nintendo has more better games and originals

Like I said, comparable. In 1990 SNES had games using a DSP chip. Virtua Racing for Genesis came out the same year as the Saturn and Playstation.

If Mode 7'ish effects could at least have been full screen at same resolution as SNES at 30fps, regular people wouldn't notice the difference, especially when used for high speed "3D". It would have really taken the novelty factor away from the SNES and the games wouldn't have been any more expensive than SNES carts.
    But for that they needed god-tier developing skills, which probably wasn't enough for a Mode 7 styled game on the genesis.

F-Zero didn't use any enhancement chip.

Never really understood how Nintendo managed to have lots of fancy secondary processors in their carts at the standard RRP but when the MD finally did the game went up massively in price. I guess starfox cost more but i didnt notice it with the others.

Outrunner

What I think Sega could done, was to include some kind of super scaling on Megadrive, in order to do arcade ports with smooth scaling. But that indeed will increased the price, but make much better ports and surely will sell much more that it did for sure.

Hero of Algol

Quote Originally Posted by matteus View Post
    Never really understood how Nintendo managed to have lots of fancy secondary processors in their carts at the standard RRP but when the MD finally did the game went up massively in price. I guess starfox cost more but i didnt notice it with the others.
    The SVP is far more powerful than any extra chip used in those SNES carts and MD's V.R. is well beyond anything that the SNES have in terms of 3D IMO.

But probably there's also a scalability factor there, with Nintendo pushing millions of units of several of those extra chip'ed carts. They probably had more room to drop the cart production costs with their huge user base also in Japan, IDK.

By the way, someone uploaded an emulated footage of gasega68k's G-Zero demo:

SITE SUPERVILLAIN Outrunner Vector's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Barone View Post
    By the way, someone uploaded an emulated footage of gasega68k's G-Zero demo:
    [YOUTUBE H-D7OkNI8_A[/YOUTUBE]
    ..watch that video ^ and listen to this at the same time.. https://soundcloud.com/georgioszaimi...ing-yamaha-dx7 i asked groovemaster if he would contribute a track or 2 to this game too..as well as Georgios..here below, i made a video like i just described above..i would like to submit an instrumental too and help with music if gas is cool with that..if not i understand..but this is a damn impressive game so far..you, stef, chilly willy, titan and watermelon are great..here is video..

Last edited by Vector; 03-08-2015 at 04:36 PM.

Is there any way to increase the field of view? It's giving me chills that the car will crash on a wall in any second when it's in the maximum velocity.
    Look at the snes one, there's more of the track and less background:

In Mario Kart this would not be much of a problem, since speed is not the focus of the game.

SITE SUPERVILLAIN Outrunner Vector's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by matteus View Post
    "lines are doubled and the pixels doubled".
    ^

Quote Originally Posted by Dennab View Post
    ^
    I think what he's saying is that the angle is a lot higher on the SNES, allowing more of the track to be seen in the distance. I'd assume this is another performance trade-off though.

I do wonder if it'd be possible with some raster trickery to fake a fade-off into the distance?

How computationally expensive would it be to update the Mode 7 map on the fly for animated effects other than palette cycling? Is it a static background or could you do neat stuff like paint skidmarks onto the map?

Could more sprites be present on the screen at a time compared to the SNES? I've always read that this one a particular strength of the system.

Thread Information