Quantcast

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: If the Genesis had been designed around the low-resolution mode...

Quote Originally Posted by Pyron View Post
    I could say this..

I have a CRT TV from early 90īs with native RGB, and you can notice a HUGE difference when you play an game in 320px mode and switch to another runing on 256px mode, if the game has richer artwork like SF2 the shading and overall image looks a bit "grainy", it seems that the pixels do not fit so well.
    Even composite dither does not transition well.

Now in 320px mode it seems that everything fits perfectly, the artwork and pixels on the TV speak to each other much better, making the colors and the image more defined and giving you the feeling that everything mixes perfectly and that the art is Natural.

Judging from my experience with CRTs (specially arcade monitors) the problem with resolutions with 256 vertical lines start to appear when put them togheter with a vertical resolution under the 224-240 horizontal lines, in this case the SNES is 256x224, but if you take a game with a higher h.line count the end result is not that bad;

I own a collection of Data East Caveman Ninja system pcbs whose resolution on most games is 256x256, Caveman Ninja, Dark Seal, Edward Randy, Crude Buster and Vapor Trail (Robocop 2 and Death Brade are the only ones that run at 320x256) and I have noticed how those pcbs look quite good even when I stretch the image to fill the screen beyond the side borders using the H.size limit and H.size presets in the arcade monitor, and I'm talking BIG 33" arcade monitors like the ones on my MVS MV4-33 Neogeo candy cab, I hardly notice any diferences with what, for me, are considered true HD 15khz resolutions, those from PCBs such as CPS1, 2, 3 at 384x224, Irem M72 384x256 and Midway Y, T and Wolf Unit: 412x256.

OTOH, PCBs from TAD/Seibu, running games such as Heated Barrel, Legionnaire etc. suffer from the same issue as the SNES, pixels seem to lose detail, and we are talking games running under a circuitry capable of matching the System 18, Neogeo and even the CPS1 in terms of graphical power.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingRoad Rasher

Quote Originally Posted by Pyron View Post
    I could say this..

I have a CRT TV from early 90īs with native RGB, and you can notice a HUGE difference when you play an game in 320px mode and switch to another runing on 256px mode, if the game has richer artwork like SF2 the shading and overall image looks a bit "grainy", it seems that the pixels do not fit so well.
    Even composite dither does not transition well.

Now in 320px mode it seems that everything fits perfectly, the artwork and pixels on the TV speak to each other much better, making the colors and the image more defined and giving you the feeling that everything mixes perfectly and that the art is Natural.
    Then there's something weird going on with your set (or Genesis). It's an analog signal, and even if your "mask" and sub-pixel elements are lower or higher resolution on the CRT, there should be no "graininess" what so ever.

As for H32 vs H40 for me BITD, and in the 2000-2010's with a more modern CRT, the composite output of H40 was not sharper (and given how composite works, there's a reason for this; Luma signal too close to double the frequency of chroma - the resolution can't be pulled out accurately. PCE, and SNES, use "pixel crawl" to over come this). It still blurry/muddy because of the encoder chip. So much so, that the PCE looked higher res than the Genesis even when the games used lower res mode (the clarity and crispness of the PCE composite output was just soo sharp). I also remember when I first played the TG16, coming from the NES, that even Keith Courage looked "higher res" than anything on the NES. I was convinced it was haha.

Thread Information