Quantcast

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: If the Genesis had been designed around the low-resolution mode...

Quote Originally Posted by zetastrike View Post
    Just because RGB wasn't readily available where you were bitd doesn't make it "wrong" or not authentic. The idea of limiting yourself to blurry picture quality is a form of Stockholm syndrome if I've ever seen one.
    exactly. had there been available options for me BITD, i would have definitely used an rgb/s-video over the rf i was stuck on.

I ran my Genesis/CD/32X on my CBM 1084 via RGB for a long time. RGB is great if you don't mind seeing dither. Some people go bat-shit insane if they see the slightest bit of dither (see any PS1 thread for examples).

Quote Originally Posted by tomaitheous View Post
    Consoles? I would say some specific games, maybe.
    He said console games, not consoles...

ding-doaw Raging in the Streets tomaitheous's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Holt View Post
    He said console games, not consoles...
    It's supposed to read "console games?". Typo. My point being, dithering (in video game context) is not an exclusive to crappy video signals (which 'console' implies in that context).

ding-doaw Raging in the Streets tomaitheous's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Chilly Willy View Post
    I ran my Genesis/CD/32X on my CBM 1084 via RGB for a long time. RGB is great if you don't mind seeing dither. Some people go bat-shit insane if they see the slightest bit of dither (see any PS1 thread for examples).
    I had a monitor that game with my A500 back in 1992 (my brother got the setup from a friend), and it also had composite inputs. Originally, I hooked the Genesis and TurboDuo to it via composite (it was incredibly clear and colorful). The 1084 model sounds familiar. Did it also have composite inputs, as well as RGB?

My Commodore 1084 video monitor can do RGB, Composite and Y/C.

Quote Originally Posted by tomaitheous View Post
    I had a monitor that game with my A500 back in 1992 (my brother got the setup from a friend), and it also had composite inputs. Originally, I hooked the Genesis and TurboDuo to it via composite (it was incredibly clear and colorful). The 1084 model sounds familiar. Did it also have composite inputs, as well as RGB?
    Yes. As mentioned by the next poster, it does composite, svideo, and RGB. I used an RGB cable to connect to the RGB input. The monitor came with my A500. When I got a better monitor for my A500 later, it was shuffled over to the Genesis.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert Aleste's Avatar

Pardon me for asking but I wasn't able to find this using the search function:

Do we have a comprehensive list of H40 and h32 titles for Megadrive? Of course I know that most titles use both in several occasions (cutscenes, menu screens, the sega or other logo screens...) but what I'm interested is a comprehensive list of the 900 or so released titles with a simple note like "HD40" or "H32" nest to title, obviously based on the main gameplay mode.

I could say this..

I have a CRT TV from early 90īs with native RGB, and you can notice a HUGE difference when you play an game in 320px mode and switch to another runing on 256px mode, if the game has richer artwork like SF2 the shading and overall image looks a bit "grainy", it seems that the pixels do not fit so well.
    Even composite dither does not transition well.

Now in 320px mode it seems that everything fits perfectly, the artwork and pixels on the TV speak to each other much better, making the colors and the image more defined and giving you the feeling that everything mixes perfectly and that the art is Natural.

Visit my youtube channel Pyron's Lair
    Take here all my hacks made with love for all of us here
    Want to help me? Here is my Patreon!

Death Bringer ESWAT Veteran Black_Tiger's Avatar

I have a 32" Wega with a picture that looks like a brand new high end RGB monitor when displaying a good quality s-video signal or better.

I've found that the difference between 256 x 192 through 512 x 240 isn't that big of a difference, anywhere as near as much as actual art/color/detail. 256 x 224 games with quality quality assets look nicer and more detailed than 352 x 240 games that don't pack-in detailed artwork.

The difference can be more noticeable between bland Mega Drive games in different resolutions, because there's not much to see.

I'd rather have a 256 x 224 SFII game with the assets we got than a 320 x 224 game with 20% less animation and background assets. The loss in artwork and frames however would make the difference in resolution more noticeable.
    Quote Originally Posted by year2kill06
    everyone knows nintendo is far way cooler than sega just face it nintendo has more better games and originals

Hero of Algol

Most Wega TVs are crap for detail though. Just saying.

Quote Originally Posted by Barone View Post
    Most Wega TVs are crap for detail though. Just saying.
    That's what I thought before I picked it up secondhand just for the component hookup.

I was lucky enough to live in an arcade crazy area during the 90's where the lateat Japanese arcades were imported as soon as theu came out.

My TV looks as good as the best arcade sceens did new when displaying CPS2 games run off of a good supergun. S-video coloring bleeding isn't as much of an issue because the screen is so big.
    everyone knows nintendo is far way cooler than sega just face it nintendo has more better games and originals

Hero of Algol

Cool.
    What's the model number (just for my personal notes here)?

I have previously owned both the KV-29FS100 and the KV-29FV305 (they're 27 inches in US measurements), and both sucked IMO.
    I mean, they had amazing contrast/brightness and no purity issues whatsoever, but both coloring (be it through S-Video or Component) and dynamic contrast were really far inferior to the Philips 29PT6566/78 and still inferior to the Philips DWIDE 32PW6542/78 (which is about as old as the BA-5D Sony ones).

More recently I got a KV-29FS140 (BX-1L chassis) and I find it noticeably better than the BA-5D-based ones both in coloring and dynamic contrast.
    Some nicer service menu options too.

The one Pyron owns is really, really good and probably the most high-end of the Philips sets of the 90s; the pictures and videos he shared with me looked really amazing and I asked him to perform some of the same test I do with mine.

The Philips ones give you a sharper image without increasing noise. One of the areas where the Sony ones I cited are objectively worse is how they increase noise as you try to increase sharpness.

Regarding the resolution thing; I think it depends more on the art content than on the resolution.
    320 x 224 with top notch very detailed art will surely look a bit better than 256 x 224; but it's difficult to find games exploring the best of each resolution; especially among console games.
    Most of the shading and art is degraded due to poor art conversion, poor shading, repeated colors in the palette, etc; and not due to the resolution itself.

Demon's Crest looks amazing at 256 x 224. Many other SNES games don't pack anywhere near as much detail.

I'll look up the model number tonight. My friend had a silver Wega back when PSO for Gamecube was still new and I remember how the picture looked worse than the Sony TV I bought on clearance just as the Wegas began coming out.

The one I have now physically looks aesthetically the same as the typical ones. I've noticed that much more detail is visible on it with 240p games without focusing, than the raw footage I capture from consoles through RGB to a framemeister upscaled at 720p or 1080p to Elgato game capture devices.

Hero of Algol

In North America you have far more Sony model variations than in South America.
    Crazy how the results may vary from one model to another. Or one board revision to another.

The "good" Philips ones in South America end with the L04L AB chassis (PT6566, PT8457, etc) after that it went to shit.
    And the construction quality had already degraded quite a lot; the neck of the tube completely exposed, etc.

Thread Information