Quantcast

Thread: Rise of the Dragon Manual?

Default Rise of the Dragon Manual?

With Rise of the Dragon, there was an older cardboard version and a newer jewel case versionóbut every time I see the box, it's paired with a jewel case style manual:

- http://www.ebay.com/itm/RISE-OF-THE-...item2595d6b2c0
    - http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rise-of-the-...item43d41c876e
    - http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rise-of-the-...item259b69e4b0

I don't know whether this is people trying to retroactively CIB or if that's what it actually came with. Any help would be appreciated.

Nameless One

That's definitely someone trying to combine the older cardboard box version with a newer manual. I have the jewel case version and even the cd art work is different. This post below has good pics.

http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewt...hp?f=1&t=30477

Those are all most likely correct. However, there is a slight possibility of a mix-up which I will explain below.

Quote Originally Posted by Mpavlic1018 View Post
    That's definitely someone trying to combine the older cardboard box version with a newer manual.
    That is incorrect... This is a distinct variant (2nd release) of three total:

1st Release - Cardboard box without the MA-17 sticker. This comes with the original style manual.
    2nd Release - Cardboard box with the MA-17 sticker. This comes with the blue candy stripe manual with the "Sid and Al's" advert on the registration card page.
    3rd release - Longbox Jewel case. This comes with the blue candy stripe manual without an advert on the registration card page.

Here is a picture of the two different candy stripe manuals:
    Be Attitude For Gains!

Quote Originally Posted by SpaceFlea View Post

1st Release - Cardboard box without the MA-17 sticker. This comes with the original style manual.
    I'm resurrecting this ancient thread, because this is a mystery that has perplexed me for ages and still to this day. I've STILL never seen a Rise of the Dragon cardboard box style instruction manual. I only ever have seen it paired with the jewel case style manual. I even own the cardboard box variant myself, but alas no manual with my copy. That manual is either super rare, or doesn't exist. As many retro game printing oddities I've seen noted by collectors and variant chasers over the years, this is one I've yet to find any commentary on, let alone proof such a variant manual is real.

Does anyone here own a cardboard box variant and can confirm (with pics) this thing exists?
    Last edited by WarmSignal; 09-11-2022 at 11:47 PM.

There's a picture of one on the scd collectors guide thread on videogamesage. There's also a picture of one on pricecharting. They both pop up on a google search.
    Be Attitude For Gains!

The plot only thickens. On videogamesage, they show a rare "review copy" with a scaled rear artwork and old style fake manual but meant for the jewel case?! Something nutty was going on during the production of that game. That makes 4 different variants. I wonder, since it came in both the cardboard and the jewel case, was it perhaps the last of the cardboard package games, so it was caught in some sort of transitional nightmare where it was packaged a bunch of different ways?

I still don't see a simple cardboard box version with the manual. The review copy has two manuals, but he doesn't show any pages that have contents, just the "dummy manual" that was blank. I'd just have to assume the other is somehow legit even though it's a special review variant. Pricecharting I just see a box picture, but no manual. So, still not satisfied.

On pricecharting, you have to scroll down to the more photos section. It's the first picture titled "Rise of the Dragon - Manual." If you're really desperate to see it first hand, you're more than welcome to purchase my factory sealed copy and open it. It's unfortunate the Age sites went away. SegaAge is where the original collector's guide work was done, and it had way more photos, including most of the variants. We also had an additional private thread of verified collectors to keep the knowledge away from the speculators who were jacking up prices on ebay when people openly fed them info. It was a fun time.
    Be Attitude For Gains!

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingRoad Rasher Jake Armitage's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WarmSignal View Post
    I'm resurrecting this ancient thread, because this is a mystery that has perplexed me for ages and still to this day. I've STILL never seen a Rise of the Dragon cardboard box style instruction manual. I only ever have seen it paired with the jewel case style manual. I even own the cardboard box variant myself, but alas no manual with my copy. That manual is either super rare, or doesn't exist. As many retro game printing oddities I've seen noted by collectors and variant chasers over the years, this is one I've yet to find any commentary on, let alone proof such a variant manual is real.

Does anyone here own a cardboard box variant and can confirm (with pics) this thing exists?
    I have a cardboard version with a manual that I bought used in a game store shortly after I got a Sega CD - which was in 1994 because I got the console mainly (at that time) so I could play Dark Wizard which had just released (1994). I wouldn't have bought Rise of the Dragon if it hadn't had a manual since back then none of the Sega CD games was rare and I would have simply waited for one that had it. I later picked up the jewel case version because it was different but it has been a very long time since I looked at the two of them. (I later made matching blue sega cd cases with labels for all of my cardboard games (don't worry - I kept the cardboard boxes!) and stuck the manuals in the new cases. (It certainly had a manual then since it would have annoyed me to not have one in it.) As far as I can remember the manuals (at least the covers) were the same.

I also have the jewel case version (which I bought in a thrift store sometime later) with a blank manual with full color case art and color covers on the manual. The cd itself is blank with, as far as I could tell, nothing recorded on it.

Most of my stuff is in storage - if I can locate the Sega CD stuff easily I will dig it out - but I think it is pretty buried.
    Last edited by Jake Armitage; 09-23-2022 at 12:36 AM.

Went to a retro gaming convention yesterday, and what do you know? I saw another cardboard box Rise of the Dragon. Plastic case style instruction manual, yet again. The original style manual must be exceedingly rare.

Thread Information