Quantcast

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Has anyone ever seen a Sonic 1 that does NOT say "Not For Resale"?

Comrade as in friend. Master of Shinobi ComradeOj's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Qjimbo View Post
    What's also interesting is that some US Sonic 1 cartridges are REV01 - the version with the moving clouds in Green Hill Zone and ripple effect in Labyrinth. This version wasn't limited to Japan. However as far as I know there is no conclusive way to identify these.
    I have heard that the Canadian sonic 1 carts have the extra scrolling, and water rippling. I don't know if it's all of them, or just some of them.
    Modded consoles:
    Master System (v7040) with s-video & direct AV out
    Model 1 with 10mhz overclock & halt switches
    Model 1 with 10mhz 68010
    Model 2 VA2.3 with unfiltered Mega Amp, & s-video
    Model 3 VA1 with compatibility fixes & s-video
    32X with s-video
    Visit my web site at www.mode5.net
    Or my collection of homebrew Genesis games, programs, and music on SEGA-16!

Banned by Administrators

Quote Originally Posted by ComradeOj View Post
    I have heard that the Canadian sonic 1 carts have the extra scrolling, and water rippling. I don't know if it's all of them, or just some of them.
    Wait what? You mean for the Classic release or all of them in Canada?

And does that mean I have the best version of Sonic 1? My retro consoles are all boxed up still waiting for the I get another proper CRT TV. So I can't check it out yet. But would love to know for more certain.

Comrade as in friend. Master of Shinobi ComradeOj's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Thief View Post
    Wait what? You mean for the Classic release or all of them in Canada?

And does that mean I have the best version of Sonic 1? My retro consoles are all boxed up still waiting for the I get another proper CRT TV. So I can't check it out yet. But would love to know for more certain.
    I was just talking about the original release.

Someone online had a Canadian copy, which has Euro style box art, and "genesis" branding, as opposed to megadrive. It looked like this one. Attachment 9830 They said it had the extra scrolling and such, but I can't confirm that All Canadian copies are like this.
    Modded consoles:
    Master System (v7040) with s-video & direct AV out
    Model 1 with 10mhz overclock & halt switches
    Model 1 with 10mhz 68010
    Model 2 VA2.3 with unfiltered Mega Amp, & s-video
    Model 3 VA1 with compatibility fixes & s-video
    32X with s-video
    Visit my web site at www.mode5.net
    Or my collection of homebrew Genesis games, programs, and music on SEGA-16!

Yeah I have heard that too, I've yet to buy a Canadian Sonic 1, most versions I've seen here are the same not-for-resale branded ones included with the genesis in the US. I'll definitely be keeping an eye out though.

Master of Shinobi Hidden_Darkness's Avatar

I have a canadian sonic 1 that i found a few years ago for $5 but I haven't tried it yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Lizard View Post
    I used to own this one...

There's a handful of pre-ESRB games that got re-released with their original art from 1989-93
    Super Hang-On, Taz-Mania, maybe Revenge of Shinobi and Super Monaco GP as well.

Wildside Expert

I was referring to the one in the picture above - with the original box art, but a K-A rating and UPC on the spine.

As far as I know, Sonic 1, After Burner, Super Monaco GP, Super Hang-On & Taz-Mania were the only games re-released in their original artwork with K-A ratings. Sonic took me quite a while to find complete, but Super Hang-On was the hardest to find. Took me around six months of searching Ebay for a complete copy. The others are pretty common.

Master of Shinobi Hidden_Darkness's Avatar

I've never seen one with the k-a rating and original art before

I remember the first time I saw a non-NFR Sonic 1 was at a Blockbuster - the NFR label had always kinda scared me as a kid, as I thought I wasn't supposed to own it or something. I saw one without it and I rented it just to see if it was any different. SPOILERS: it wasn't.

What's also interesting is that some US Sonic 1 cartridges are REV01 - the version with the moving clouds in Green Hill Zone and ripple effect in Labyrinth. This version wasn't limited to Japan. However as far as I know there is no conclusive way to identify these.
    I know you just said there was no way to identify them for sure, but I have pretty clear memories of the clouds in Green Hill Zone moving, and my Sonic was a pack-in with a Model 1 "HIGH DEFINITION GRAPHICS" Genesis - would I have had this revision? When did any revision other than REV01 come out?

Raging in the Streets Thunderblaze16's Avatar

I went and got an answer myself about the K-A. Based on this listing from a seller who prices all his Genesis games like 7 times more than they are originally worth and should NOT be taken this seiously of being the actual price of this version.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sonic-the-He...item4ae2af6814

The KA appear on both the insert cover art and manual. The game cartridge is the same as the one without the 'NOT FOR RESALE' tag on.
    ***Visualshock! Speedshock! Soundshock! Now is time to the 68000 heart on fire!***
    http://ban-game-4.gamewise.co/musha-metallic-uniframe-super-hybrid-armor_banner65-61867-full.jpeg

Quote Originally Posted by Thunderblaze16 View Post
    The game cartridge is the same as the one without the 'NOT FOR RESALE' tag on.
    It's actually distinctly different. The correct cart for this variant should have the (R) after SEGA and GENESIS (like the insert and manual do) as opposed to the TM that was on earlier carts, inserts, and manuals.
    Be Attitude For Gains!

Quote Originally Posted by PrinceOfBrains View Post
    I know you just said there was no way to identify them for sure, but I have pretty clear memories of the clouds in Green Hill Zone moving, and my Sonic was a pack-in with a Model 1 "HIGH DEFINITION GRAPHICS" Genesis - would I have had this revision? When did any revision other than REV01 come out?
    Well, the clouds in REV00 move, but only when Sonic is moving and scrolling the screen. In REV01 they are constantly moving to the left even when Sonic is stationary. REV00 is the most common revision in North America and Europe, but there are some US and European REV01s out there. I dumped a UK Sonic 1 REV01 a while ago that someone mailed me, and there's this video that shows a US Sonic 1 REV01.

Well, the clouds in REV00 move, but only when Sonic is moving and scrolling the screen. In REV01 they are constantly moving to the left even when Sonic is stationary. REV00 is the most common revision in North America and Europe, but there are some US and European REV01s out there. I dumped a UK Sonic 1 REV01 a while ago that someone mailed me, and there's this video that shows a US Sonic 1 REV01.
    Anecdotal evidence, I know, but I'm almost positive my pack-in Sonic does this. Granted, I haven't played it in decades and I don't have it with me to test, so everyone's just going to have to take my word that my uncle works for Sega and I have a super-rare Sonic variation okay?!

Road Rasher

Quote Originally Posted by ComradeOj View Post
    I was just talking about the original release.

Someone online had a Canadian copy, which has Euro style box art, and "genesis" branding, as opposed to megadrive. It looked like this one. Attachment 9830 They said it had the extra scrolling and such, but I can't confirm that All Canadian copies are like this.
    The attachment is not working, but that sounds exactly the same as what was released in Australia. Has the Japanese SONIC from the Japanese cover, rather the ugly US version, with the cross-hatch pattern with "GENESIS" up the top and on the spine. Cart says "MEGA DRIVE" and has really bad printing. I was told they were like that because they could not manufacture enough for release in PAL land. Weird that Canada had them too. I bought mine the day it was released in July 1991. There was a news story (Channel 7, Sydney for those in the country) on the night before it was released about "the new video game phenomenon sweeping America".

To be honest, I had not taken much notice of Sonic because the UK magazines I bought were 3 months old here so I missed all the hype leading up to its release. I only remember seeing 2 screenshots from Winter CES 1991. That story made me REALLY want the game though! I went out the next morning (wagged school, hehe!) with my sister and went to every game shop and department store within 50minutes of where I lived and everywhere was sold out. I finally found it in a shop closest to my house, the last copy! Bought it, fell in love and the rest is SEGA history!

Outrunner

When I was a kid and wanted to sell my Genesis collection, the Gamestop or EBGames (can't remember) I went to told me they couldn't take my copy of Sonic 1 because of the "NOT FOR RESALE" logo. This must have been, like, 1998. I ended up not giving them any of my games because the prices they gave were crap.
    It may no longer be the `90s, but there is still time for Klax.

Thread Information