Quantcast

Page 61 of 62 FirstFirst ... 1151575859606162 LastLast

Thread: Can Sega-16 Beat the Last of the Genesis, Sega CD, & 32X Libraries in 2018

Raging in the Streets goldenband's Avatar

That's beautiful news, RvR! Looking forward to your victories.

Welcome back RvR!

Iíve beaten the first Master of Monsters Campaign. Is it necessary to do both Campaign in order to consider the game beaten?
    Btw. this was the first game for this thread that I played via emulation (all the other games I played via original hardware and original cartridges). These retro-bit controllers breathe new life into Windows-emulation.
    In compliance with the rules I didnít use savestates of course.

Iím still working on Spriou and although this game is much harder than I anticipated I expect to beat it (eventually).

Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Seingalt View Post
    Iíve beaten the first Master of Monsters Campaign. Is it necessary to do both Campaign in order to consider the game beaten?
    Awesome! And nope, it looks like you get the same credits when you beat either Campaign, so only one is needed. Great to see that game finally fall!

In Your Mind Road Rasher Night Driver's Avatar

NCAA Football

Hooked up the Genny today for the first time in years. Spent an hour-and-a-half and knocked this one out.

Won the 16-team tournament playing as BYU. Here are the scores of the four games I played.

BYU - 20
    Mississippi State - 0

BYU - 28
    Army - 10

BYU - 21
    Georgia Tech. - 0

BYU - 42
    Arizona - 0

This game basically plays itself. All you really do is call the plays and handle the kicking. On offense, I passed the ball on every play. I never called a run. Just about every pass play will gain enough yards to keep the chains moving. I picked plays at random. A few plays, however, weren't well-suited to goal line situations.

On defense, except when receiving a punt, I picked Field Goal Block on every play. On pass plays, this ensured that every receiver picked up a defender right off the line, which interfered with their ability to run clean routes and frustrated the CPU's timing. On running plays, Field Goal Block really clogged up the center, essentially shutting down all running plays up the middle. It wasn't that great against outside runs, however.
    Last edited by Night Driver; 01-23-2020 at 02:09 AM.

The return of the conquering hero!! So great to see you back, Night Driver, and with a football win to boot. Awesome.

I am going to try Star Trek Starfleet Academy on Sega 32X. No promises but I just finished the first mission with a 100. I honestly want to try for a perfect score each mission but depending on the mission it may not happen.
    I am Mr_32X

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-Training

Hi. This thread motivated me to try out a few games that I have had sitting around for a while that I never really gave a chance and I wound up beating a few of them.

Championship Pro-Am

This game repeats forever, so I did one loop. I've played this on NES too. I can't decide which is the harder version. The computer controlled cars seem to cheat less in this version, but they play a bit better. Fun game either way.

The Adventures of Batman and Robin

It's really tough to avoid hitting anything in this game! Good thing it gives you so much health. The VR stage was a pain, but it wasn't too tough otherwise. Can't say I really enjoyed this one. If it ran a bit more smoothly, it could have been pretty good.

Bouncers

This game seems like it was meant for two players. There isn't any sort of 1-player campaign, so I just went through one tournament versus the computer. I'm not sure what else could be done to consider it beaten. It's a very simple game and pretty boring to play on your own, but it seems like it might be fun with another person.

Bram Stoker's Dracula

I picked this game up in a bundle many years ago, played it a few minutes, and thought it was terrible and I didn't think I'd ever go back to it. I'm glad I did. Once I got the hang of it, I found it to be pretty fun. It wasn't as difficult as some people make it out to be. You just can't rush through it. I also really like the graphics. They may be grainy, but I think that helped create the creepy atmosphere. Full disclosure, I did use a level select code because the game crashed on me while playing (this seems to be a common occurrence with this game). I had more lives/continues at the point it crashed than you start with, so using the code only put me at a disadvantage. There's a picture of the credits in my gallery. I didn't include it here because it's much bigger than the others.

Brutal Paws of Fury

I wasn't crazy about this one, but it wasn't awful. It's too bad the gameplay wasn't better since it seemed like there was a decent amount of effort put into making it. It has an interesting set of characters, decent graphics and sound, and some movie sequences. They tried to create a sense of progression by requiring you to unlock new moves. The screen room stage where you can only see the silhouettes of the characters when they're behind the screen was kinda neat. I like how after each match it tells you what kind of attacks were used and where you hit your opponent. The text recap of each fight is a nice touch too.

Wolfchild

Not much to say about this one. It's a competent, but unremarkable action game. I enjoyed playing through it, but I doubt I'd play it again.

SMS, that may be the best first post I've ever seen on this site! Great to have you on board, and to get such a big jumpstart to the Sega CD list, not to mention eliminating one of the last remaining racing games for the Genesis.

100% agreed about the clear conditions for Championship Pro-Am and Bouncers. And no problem at all with how you handled the issue in Bram Stoker's Dracula -- the aging Sega CD hardware is, sadly, crash-prone these days even under the best of circumstances, and using a code to put you back exactly where you were (but worse off in terms of lives/continues) is totally reasonable.

I look forward to your future contributions. Fresh help and enthusiasm is exactly what we need to get this project over the finish line.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingNameless One RvR's Avatar

Attachment 15320

A/X 101 is done. If the attachment doesn't work here it is on imgur: https://imgur.com/a/c8XMS1k

A fairly fun and fairly easy game. Basic rail shooter skills and a good idea of when to use your bombs is all it takes. Finished on normal mode with the default 3 continues, no "try hard mode" messages or anything like that. Really this game is more of a tech demo than a game, the polygons and audio are quite dazzling, though it would certainly benefit from not having Sega CDs signature shrunken potato cam effect.

Afterburner 3 is done. This is the game top gun wishes it was. Fun simple flight sim game, beat on normal/default settings besides the fact that I changed the view from cockpit to 3rd person. Just use the classic cheap trick of flying in 1 direction and spamming missiles, engage afterburn when needed, I never used the "decrease speed" function once.

^Oh, you're a saint!

See, I've been thinking I ought to beat After Burner III, since I've done so several times before, but frankly wasn't looking forward to relearning how to play it (even though I somewhat enjoyed it at the time). Very glad to see it taken out.

Meanwhile, I've eliminated NFL Football Trivia Challenge from the Sega CD list, and put it on the list of disqualified/non-beatable games. Why? Because its only game mode is 2-player head-to-head -- there's no 1-player mode at all (and no CPU opponent), so there's nothing meaningful to beat.

Finally completed Spirou using default settings (difficulty normal). Took me much longer than expected. I had beaten this game more than 10 years ago but I didn't remember that it was that unforgiving.

Btw. is there any interest to make a similar thread for the Master System games?

Finally completed Spirou using default settings (difficulty normal). Took me much longer than expected. I had beaten this game more than 10 years ago but I didn't remember that it was that unforgiving.
    Well done! Starting to get really close on that PAL list -- two games left to cross the 90% mark. I need to get back on Man Overboard...

Btw. is there any interest to make a similar thread for the Master System games?
    If you're offering to run it, I'd gladly participate!

BC Racers Sega CD version is done(I think):

First I beat it on easy and it just said "Now try on a harder difficulty" then I beat medium and it said "you beat the medium cup! Here is a password for hard" which is strange because hard is selectable from the start. I beat easy with the cat and punk and I beat medium with the guy and girl("cliff and roxy" I think)

Btw Sega CD is fun AF. Every game I have played has been really fun and these are the games that haven't been beat so probably the least popular and least fun ones.
    Last edited by RvR; 02-24-2020 at 10:22 PM. Reason: Added characters used

Thread Information