Quantcast

Page 66 of 67 FirstFirst ... 1656626364656667 LastLast

Thread: Can Sega-16 Beat the Last of the Genesis, Sega CD, & 32X Libraries in 2018

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert RvR's Avatar

Nah I beat that one the next day. I made a separate post about it. I remember because I was visiting my mom and she had no internet so I had no reason not to play it lol Post #645 for reference. I probably only did championship mode though, I just got an end screen and screen capped it.

Quote Originally Posted by RvR View Post
    Nah I beat that one the next day. I made a separate post about it. I remember because I was visiting my mom and she had no internet so I had no reason not to play it lol Post #645 for reference. I probably only did championship mode though, I just got an end screen and screen capped it.
    I looked for it twice yesterday without finding it. Maybe I shouldn't read in here late at night when I am too tired.
    Sorry for the confusion, thanks for resolving this and of course late kudos for beating this already in 2017.

No worries and thanks haha

Raging in the Streets goldenband's Avatar

Glad this got sorted!

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingSports Talker

I do not see the PAL Megadrive game Universal Soldier listed on the first page, I finished it on normal earlier today, I finished it back in the 90s and wanted to do it again now that I am older and slower.
    Attachment 15614

Welcome aboard, Heilong! Universal Soldier was beaten back in the first year of this project by The Jackal -- it's victory #270 in the list of beaten games in post #2. Perhaps you'd enjoy a round of AWS Pro Moves Soccer or Lemmings 2 instead?

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingSports Talker

Great thanks, I must have missed it. I think I will leave the other titles, never liked sports games and never really liked lemmings either.

What's the status of Zero Wing? Is the game done or is it necessary to beat it on Normal? If the latter is the case, will the upcoming retro-bit version with different endings be eligible?

Quote Originally Posted by Seingalt View Post
    What's the status of Zero Wing? Is the game done or is it necessary to beat it on Normal? If the latter is the case, will the upcoming retro-bit version with different endings be eligible?
    Totally forgot about the issue with Zero Wing! In fact Goati just beat it on Normal -- literally, as in within the last week -- so I'm pleased to note we've got that one covered.

Some might argue for two loops, since you only get a proper credit roll after the second loop -- but since the game defaults to Easy (which has unlimited continues), and since you do get a non-bad ending after the first loop on either difficulty, I think one loop on Normal is more than adequate.

Hero of Algol

Quote Originally Posted by RvR View Post
    BC Racers Sega CD version is done(I think):
    First I beat it on easy and it just said "Now try on a harder difficulty" then I beat medium and it said "you beat the medium cup! Here is a password for hard" which is strange because hard is selectable from the start. I beat easy with the cat and punk and I beat medium with the guy and girl("cliff and roxy" I think)
    Quote Originally Posted by goldenband View Post
    That looks good to me!
    Medium is not enough for this game, no.
    Each difficulty level will also increase complexity and length of the tracks.
    On top of that, some track hazards will only appear or be forced on you in Hard or Rockhard levels, some are exclusive to the Rockhard level.

And then there's the endings. The complete endings along with credits can only be achieved in the Rockhard difficulty.
    The Sega CD version also features some cool animation unique to each double during the credits.

Also, both Hard and Rockhard levels require password in the Sega CD version, that's why they provide it to you at the end of your runs.

IMO Rockhard is a must for completion purposes here due to the reasons mentioned above.
    In my runs I set the AI to easy (in the options menu; to speed up the process of beating the game; medium is pretty manageable but hard and rockhard are a bit of pain and quite unfair at time) and it has no impact in the endings.

I beat both the 32X and Sega CD versions.
    The Sega CD is clearly the original design and has a more arcade-ish vibe to it. The 32X version expands the roster but also changes the physics quite a bit, making the handling more slippery, advanced and overall harder.
    Default ramp jumps are way higher on the 32X and the tracks are far more detailed; crowded with more objects and spectators. The cemetery level is one that works better on the 32X since the very limited palette of the Sega CD version doesn't allow for a proper dark lighting.
    OTOH, the cavern level hides its alternate paths better on the Sega CD and some ramps, corners and alternative paths seem to have been designed with the Sega CD physics and draw distante in mind and not properly adjusted for the 32X's more complex physics and extended draw distance.

And, finally, there's the abysmal framerate of the 32X version which makes it a chore to play.
    It really feels like that version was really rushed to the market 'cause some bugs and its performance doesn't match with the overall quality of Core Design games of the time. It sucks that they didn't even limited the draw distance (as in the Sega CD version) to boost the framerate.
    All in all, I'd say the 32X version is the more advanced game but the Sega CD one is the better product.

Here are the endings for both versions:

Hero of Algol

Awesome, Barone! I've added your 32X win, and credited you on the Sega CD version as well. Thank you for the very informative post about B.C. Racers -- I stand corrected. Great to move the needle for the first time this year on the 32X list.

Hero of Algol

Thank you and the others for keeping this thread/project running.
    I've learned a lot even if just by reading the journey log of people like you, RvR, Seingalt, etc.

It surely puts some light into obscure parts of the MD/MCD/32X library and reveals a lot more than the whole endless collection of superficial reviews available on the Internet.

I'll see if I pick something else from the 32X or Sega CD to beat.
    Finally, I echo what RvR said; Sega CD's library is super fun. It's amazing to me how the 3rd party developers managed to do it despite the inhuman difficulties of programming to it and basically no support from SOJ.
    I guess it's a testament to the creativity and passion of western developers in the early 90s.
    Last edited by Barone; 10-03-2020 at 04:58 PM.

Great win Barone! I think people write off the Sega CD as the FMV machine and never give the library a chance. One day I will do a deep dive on 32X and hopefully its a similar experience. Right now I am trying to convince myself to learn how to play American football and take a shot at savescumming thru all the genesis football games but I keep not doing it because I get distracted by my Neo Geo Mini

Hero of Algol

Default NBA Jam Tournament Edition (32X)

I beat the Head-To-Head mode (it's the main one) of NBA Jam Tournament Edition on the 32X in Normal difficulty and with Tournament Mode ON (no cheats and power-ups):

I'll come back later with more details.

Thread Information