Quantcast

Page 62 of 64 FirstFirst ... 125258596061626364 LastLast

Thread: Can Sega-16 Beat the Last of the Genesis, Sega CD, & 32X Libraries in 2018

Raging in the Streets goldenband's Avatar

That looks good to me! Great to see another Sega CD title completed, and great to hear you've been having a good time with the games so far.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert RvR's Avatar

Im playing Dune right now and its basically like one of those 90s PC point and click adventure games so Ill probably beat it eventually but the youtube playthrough videos are like 7 hours long so it will probably take a while. Im also messing around a bit with Heimdall, which is one of those isometric Ultima style RPGs which usually I have no patience for but the aesthetics are quite excellent and they have reduced the typical overcomplexity of those games to a level where I feel like Ill get the hang of it eventually. Both games very impressive for the early 90s.

Quote Originally Posted by RvR View Post
    Im playing Dune right now and its basically like one of those 90s PC point and click adventure games so Ill probably beat it eventually but the youtube playthrough videos are like 7 hours long so it will probably take a while. Im also messing around a bit with Heimdall, which is one of those isometric Ultima style RPGs which usually I have no patience for but the aesthetics are quite excellent and they have reduced the typical overcomplexity of those games to a level where I feel like Ill get the hang of it eventually. Both games very impressive for the early 90s.
    I remember playing Heimdall many (MANY) years ago.
    It was really short but you can ruin your playthrough if you use a needed item at the wrong place and loose it forever.
    Better use a walkthrough wirh this one

^Good call, I usually avoid walkthroughs but if that happens to me I will definitely use one lol

Mad Dog McCree is done

This is the typical game people make fun of Sega CD for but its actually a pretty fun game. The one problem is that the low resolution of the images means at one point where you have to shoot a lamp in front of a mine you have no idea where the tiny lamp is because it just looks like brown and grey pixels in a blender so I had to watch a guy on youtube do it to see where to shoot. Otherwise good game though.

For the time being I have to take a break from Dune. I played it every day for 2 weeks strait and the immersion of the game begins to pull you in, I honestly felt like I was on a desolate sand planet, mining for drugs, hoping we could make sufficient productivity so the emperor wouldn't vaporize us, while also being worried about fighting the Harkonen enemies and the mix of it all is pretty stressful lol Then I checked how far I was on a youtube playthru and Im only like 15% thru the game. So for now I give up. In Heimdall it has become a "okay Ive done everything where do I go? I guess Ill wander some more" game. I cant bring myself to use a guide, I guess its just not me. If anyone is looking for an easy win Jurrasic Park on Sega CD is an educational point and click game, I would do it but its very slow paced and puts me to sleep. I don't have the ambition to slog through it.

I wonder whether that's exactly where I got stuck in Mad Dog McCree too? I remember playing it and being totally confused at a point involved a mine, and I think that may have been it.

Kudos and congrats on the win!

And yeah, I know the feeling you mean with a long RTS like Dune II. My Warrior of Rome II playthrough practically took over my life for about a week, and if there had been 3-4 times as many levels I don't know if I could've stuck it out.

Is there an established win criteria for Columns on the Arcade 5in1? I got to level 20 on hard with over 100,000 points top of the leaderboard. I tried Monaco GP but Im not that good at racing games.

Is there an established win criteria for Columns on the Arcade 5in1? I got to level 20 on hard with over 100,000 points top of the leaderboard. I tried Monaco GP but Im not that good at racing games.
    That was a point of contention early in the thread -- the Genesis version, anyway. What I settled on, and did myself, was beating Pro 9 in Flash mode, since that's the only mode that ends. I might have gotten a high score in the regular mode too -- I don't quite remember...?

So for the Sega CD compilation version, getting 100K is definitely enough for the regular mode. Would you be up for knocking out Flash mode too?

Quote Originally Posted by goldenband View Post
    That was a point of contention early in the thread -- the Genesis version, anyway. What I settled on, and did myself, was beating Pro 9 in Flash mode, since that's the only mode that ends. I might have gotten a high score in the regular mode too -- I don't quite remember...?

So for the Sega CD compilation version, getting 100K is definitely enough for the regular mode. Would you be up for knocking out Flash mode too?
    Just finished on flash level 9 on pro mode. It took a while to get a good start but the first run I got it halfway down I won.

Just finished on flash level 9 on pro mode. It took a while to get a good start but the first run I got it halfway down I won.
    Nice one! That just leaves Super Monaco GP on the 5-in-1, and that's a game that totally eludes my skills.

Sorry I didn't had my mobile ready to take a pic but a few minutes ago I beat Revenge of the Ninja (SCD).

^Congrats! I played it a bit, pretty fun for a quick time game, much better than dragons lair imo.

Space Adventure: Cobra is done

This one is like a cross between the dune style of gameplay and a digital comic book. Easy, fun, and tons of adult content. This is the dream game for 13 year old boys, every woman wears a thong. You get full nudity a few times but they do the same censorship as Lunar - no fine details. And minor spoilers: this game has the balls to show a room full of massacred nuns. I liked how this game has a cool environment, I enjoyed hanging out at the bar/club especially since corona means nothing like that in real life. This one used an interesting gameplay mechanic of making you hide and wait til your enemy is right by you and jump out, but you have to do this based purely on sound. I couldn't do this part with speakers, I had to get out my big headphones and spend like 5 mins listening to pinpoint the sound difference. Minor nitpicks: sometimes it takes a while to find out what you are supposed to do. For me the worst was when you not only have to find the doctors plant you have to talk to it for a while. I saw a review that had the same complaint for finding the duckman. I also liked how a game that epitomizes the 80s/90s celebration of hypermasculinity also shows an appreciation for classical music. This game generally gets negative reviews dismissing it as not really a game, but I have no problem with it being half game half digital comic and I think the criticism is unwarranted. If you accept it for what it is its a really cool game.

Another one bites the dust, 2020 is a good year for crushin these games. The blood is in the water my Sega bros, lets smash this list!
    Last edited by RvR; 04-07-2020 at 01:42 AM.

Hey guys I thought I'd do a breakdown of the remaining Sega CD games as a quick reference guide. I didn't do sport games as theyre pretty self explanatory and I didn't do games that crashed my emulator:

Battlecorps - Mech game - nice graphics but a bit disorienting. Didn't seem overly hard
    Cadillacs and Dinosaurs - weird hybrid game, hard to describe but very difficult
    Cliffhanger - Brutally difficult snowboarding game masquerading as a simple side scroller.
    Dragon's Lair - quicktime game, very difficult
    Dune - point n click game, not hard but very long. If you don't use a guide it would take months I would guess
    Dungeon Master II: Skullkeep - First person RPG, hasn't aged well but on the bright side its much more bearable than DM 1 was
    Formula 1 World Championship - first person F-1 game, difficult
    Ground Zero Texas - low quality FMV game with light gun style gameplay. Not easy but doesn't seem overly hard
    Heimdall - isometric RPG with some realtime elements. This one is apparently very short so should be easy if you use a guide.
    Jurassic Park - Point n click game, slow and boring
    Keio Flying Squadron - A very average schmup
    Lawnmower Man - Bizarre game that's basically a tech demo. Your a ship flying thru a tunnel but its basically a quicktime game with long waits every time you die. Not fun, quite hard. Described in a youtube comment as "Itís like a student art film mixed with elements of an IQ test that somehow makes you dumber..."
    Lethal Enforcers II: Gunfighters - A pretty fun railshooter game, not super hard to pick up but considering you have to master each section its fairly long
    Mad Dog II: The Lost Gold - another FMV game shooting with light gun style gameplay. Not easy
    Make My Video: INXS - you have to remix music videos with public domain videos according to certain specifications. In theory it should be easy but its so time consuming because you have to keep waiting for the songs to end.
    Make My Video: Kris Kross - same as above but this one has twice as many challenges to complete. At least the "jump" song is catchy though.
    Mega Race - very difficult racing game. This one is stylish and had potential to be fun but the levels are so short and there is FMV between each race which ruin it.
    Microcosm - sewer shark style shooter, kinda cool and kinda fun but very difficult.
    Power Monger - kinda like an RTS game but really clunky. Difficult at first but probably wouldn't be too bad if you learned all the game mechanics
    Prize Fighter* - FMV boxing game, gameplay like a terrible punch out. This one seemed really hard but the credits only list a few fighters so its probably also short.
    Racing Aces - racing 3D biplanes at 10 frames per second. Hard to control and easy to die, but this seems doable if one put in some solid practice.
    RDF Global Conflict - pretty fun game where you are a tank in a 3d world with a 1st person perspective. Hard but didn't seem too bad.
    Sega CD Arcade Classics 5-in-1: Super Monaco GP - difficult F-1 game
    Shadow of The Beast II - Non-lineal sidescroller game with RPG elements. Very difficult but 10x more playable than the genesis version
    Sherlock Holmes: Consulting Detective - a point n click game but you are just considering clues to a mystery so pretty boring
    Shining Force CD - tactical RPG. Gameplay identical to SF2. This is an enhanced remake of 2 GG games plus bonus content though so prolly quite long
    Space Ace - quicktime game, not easy
    Starblade - 3D 1st person railshooter in space, impressive graphics, fun gameplay but fairly hard
    Stellar-Fire - impressive graphics, you can move around a 3D world with a solid framerate, decent gameplay, not easy but not bad
    Supreme Warrior - Another FMV fighting game, very difficult
    Surgical Strike - Pretty cool game, its kinda like sewer shark but there are tactical elements because you have to navigate around a map to get to targets. Hard but seems very doable with practice
    Third World War - Nobanugas Ambition type game but modern setting. Not my cup of tea.
    Tomcat Alley - sewer chark type game but youre a jet pilot. Hard but seems doable with practice.
    Who Shot Johnny Rock - another light gun style game. This one is a lot easier than the others and I would have beaten it if not for the fact that a certain room halfway thru the game always made my emulator crash.
    Wild Woody - a platformer game with a cool style and a cool mechanic, seems like its trying to be a new innovative take on Earthworm Jim. None of that saves it from clunky controls/physics though and its a lot less fun than it could have been. Seems quite hard.
    Wing Commander - 1st person view in a ship in space shooting other ships while navigating to the right direction. Not easy but seems doable with practice.
    WWF Rage in the Cage - a wrestling game where the difficulty comes purely from your finger getting tired of tapping the button. Anyone with a turbo controller could probably crush this one.

Sorry for the wall of text, if there is a way to do spoiler tags or something like that to hide it I will gladly do so.

Nice summary, RvR (and nice recent wins from you and Raistlin)! I can add a few bits and pieces, with games not mentioned above in bold:

Cliffhanger - I think the way to approach this is probably to beat the Genesis version so that you know all the fight scenes well, and then memorize all the snowboarding sequences
    Loadstar - brutally tough FMV game in the vein of Sewer Shark et al. I'm still not sure how the save system works in this one -- I don't know whether it saves after every level (which would make it beatable with some effort and memorization), or doesn't (which would make it insane).
    Midnight Raiders - I have this one, and got about 75% through on my first attempt. Seemed similar to Tomcat Alley, which is very playable -- I've beaten TA in the past.
    Night Trap - keep meaning to take care of this one, since I beat the 32X version.
    Power Factory - anyone know the deal with this? Is it even beatable? I know nothing about the gameplay.
    Racing Aces - I've tried a bunch of times to get somewhere with this one. Hats off to anyone who can!
    Radical Rex - annoying platformer, don't know if it's the same as the Genesis version
    Sherlock Holmes - my wife and I tried to beat this one and got nowhere -- I don't know if we just didn't understand something or what, but we diligently followed up every clue and ended up with nothing of substance
    Wild Woody - made a few attempts on this, couldn't find much to enjoy, seems quite awkward

Thread Information