Quantcast

Page 64 of 64 FirstFirst ... 14546061626364

Thread: Can Sega-16 Beat the Last of the Genesis, Sega CD, & 32X Libraries in 2018

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert RvR's Avatar

First attempt: 65 total deaths: 0 on the pre-snowboarding part, 23 on the first snowboarding part, 16 on the between snowboarding part(11 of which were from the bats), 6 on the second snowboarding part, 20 on the last level(16 of which were from the final boss). That first snowboarding level is just terrible, I have no idea what the devs were thinking.

I just got a run with only 32 deaths. If I put all my best runs of each section together I would only have 25 deaths so Im getting there. Ive gotten 5 or less deaths on every part except the damn bats.

Just got 26 deaths, 11 of which were on the final form of the last boss. Ive beaten that boss only losing 1 life before but it seems random whether its going to let you win or not. All you do is spam your special move and hope his health runs out before yours. Ive also come to realize that when I die in the sidescrolling section its almost always because the run function often doesn't work. It would have been nice if they made a run button for the 6 button controller. I kinda hate this game now. Anyways I will now start playing on default settings and finish it.

Raging in the Streets goldenband's Avatar

It'll feel great, I'm sure, once you finish this one off. I hope you're able to do it before you completely hate the game -- I know that feeling, believe me! -- and that the victory, when it comes, feels satisfying.

Cliffhanger for Sega CD is done. My first attempt without the code. Before starting the run I played around with the special move to know exactly when it works and when it doesn't, and devised the plan of using a dodge then rush attack before starting the special spam. Playing the game knowing I could win got me full of adrenaline, which helped in some parts and messed me up in others. On the snowboarding part it sharpened my reflexes and precision a lot but my eyes were watering like crazy from the focus, I died once on the first snowboarding part. The middle levels is where the adrenaline and nerves really hurt me because a few simple jumps I messed up and died on. I got to the bat cave with 1 life on my first continue, died, and lost an entire continue dying on the bats because I was too nervous. I beat the bats on my third continue with 1 life left. So I was going into the second snowboarding stage knowing I had to do the entire course without dying once if I didn't want to use up a continue. The least I had ever died on the level before was 5 times. But I got in that perfect zone of mixed adrenaline and a calm but focused mind and I pulled it off. I couldn't believe it. It was at this point I knew I only needed to not blunder to win. I killed the non-boss section, only died once. The first boss section I blundered but not too badly, I died 2 or 3 times, the second boss I nailed it, only dying once. At this point I had 4 continues for the final boss but I still knew it could all fall apart. The first attempt I do the rush attack too soon and take some damage, so I died before him. The second I adjusted and took him out. Its finally over and another one bites the dust! I really liked the movie and actually most of the game was fun when I had unlimited continues. The only part that wasn't was the first snowboarding section just because the avalanche moves way to fast for like 10 minutes strait. I was playing in front of my gf yesterday and she said something like "wow this is still going?"

Anyways, glad to be done this one. I was starting to get burnt out from beating CD games so I knew I had to put all my energy into dedicating to one last game, so I picked what I believe to be the hardest game on the system. I also wanted to do it to prove the point that there is no game that will not bend to your will if you are willing to be stubborn and steadfast. I will now reward myself by playing Snatcher for the first time

Awesome work RvR. It was really exciting to follow you beating this and seeing you coming closer and closer to the goal. I really love this thread and your work here is one of the reasons why. You really did something. The only thing I really don't like is that I own the game too, I've never beaten it and I have the goal that someday I will have finished every game I own at least once. That will be a hard task with this one.

In Your Mind Road Rasher Night Driver's Avatar

Great win, RvR.

Fantastic stuff, RvR! Quite a hard-fought win -- it must feel so satisfying to have it knocked out -- thank you for persevering.

It also puts us in an interesting statistical position:

PAL library: exactly 7/8ths done
    Sega CD: exactly 3/5ths done
    32X: exactly 3/4ths done

Sadly, we can't ever have that kind of mathematical simplicity for the main Genesis NTSC-U library, since 691 is a prime number.
    Last edited by goldenband; 05-04-2020 at 03:48 PM.

Thanks guys! This thread is fun for sure, something to keep us entertained while the world is locked down.

Super Sexy Sega Master of Shinobi cowboyscowboys's Avatar

The Punisher playthrough on hard as "White" Nick Fury

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=utYsHZQBQSs
    Beat Em Up- Streets of Rage 2
    Platformer- Sonic 3 and Knuckles
    Run and Gun- Gunstar Heroes
    Adventure- Story of Thor
    Action- Shinobi 3

Quote Originally Posted by cowboyscowboys View Post
    The Punisher playthrough on hard as "White" Nick Fury

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=utYsHZQBQSs
    Beautiful. Thanks for posting that, per our conversation in the other thread. 28 North American Genesis games left!

Super Sexy Sega Master of Shinobi cowboyscowboys's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by goldenband View Post
    Beautiful. Thanks for posting that, per our conversation in the other thread. 28 North American Genesis games left!
    You're welcome
    Beat Em Up- Streets of Rage 2
    Platformer- Sonic 3 and Knuckles
    Run and Gun- Gunstar Heroes
    Adventure- Story of Thor
    Action- Shinobi 3

Its a shame the Road Rash Sega CD rom crashes my emulator because Im playing the 3DO version and its an amazing game.

Thread Information