Quantcast

Page 72 of 73 FirstFirst ... 2262686970717273 LastLast
Results 1,066 to 1,080 of 1092

Thread: Can Sega-16 Beat the Last of the Genesis, Sega CD, & 32X Libraries in 2021?

Raging in the Streets goldenband's Avatar

Welcome aboard, Lagi!

Your question is basically outside the scope of this thread, since we haven't been using 50 vs. 60Hz as part of our rules for what constitutes clearing a game. Of course it does have some relevance to the things we do, e.g. the fact that Smurfs 2 crashes at 60Hz, but I'd tend to think the thread you linked about PAL optimised games is probably the right place for it. This thread might also be helpful:

https://www.sega-16.com/forum/showth...ga-Drive-games

There are really two questions you're asking: (a) which games use the 320x240 resolution (i.e. the extra lines available in PAL), and (b) which games have been optimized specifically for PAL? That can be a tricky question to answer with European-developed games, though the above thread tries. As you note, there are cases where the PAL/50Hz version of the game is definitive even if it didn't originate in a 50Hz territory.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-Training

Thank you, goldenband, for your answer. You perfectly sumed up what I'm looking for. At least, I wanted to be sure it was visible for most of the people who could be concerned given the message was pinned on the top list of the "Genesis does" section. Could I repost my message in the link you put in the message then ?

Cheers.

Edit : My God, this topic you posted is a golden mine, goldenband, and from the very first page ! ;-) I can't thank you enough ! It's not easy to find through google, and it's a shame because of the lack of key words in the title of the topic. Have you made a list of games given by all the witnesses in this topic given that you seem to gather all the datas in some of your posts. Thanks a lot to have redirected me to this topic. The real question would then be "what games have not been reprogrammed in their frequency for NTSC-U area", wouldn't it ?
    Last edited by Lagi; 12-30-2021 at 05:59 PM.

Glad it's helpful, Lagi! Definitely add whatever you can to the "intended speed" thread -- I've just updated it. I think that'd be the best place to discuss it, since this thread is mainly for beating the unbeaten games that remain.

Speaking of which, 2022 approaches. Sadly I didn't have the bandwidth to do anything of consequence for the list in 2021, but I'm hoping to dig in to a few titles in 2022 with my newly-modded Nomad...and my old man glasses so I can see the damned thing.

Road Rasher

After beating the first campaign of Master of Monsters in January 2020, I finished the 2nd campaign today. As established before the ending is the same for both campaigns. Apparently most people on the internet think that the second campaign is harder than the first. Personally I found the 2nd campaign easier.
    Especially the last battle was very easy, I beat it in turn 12 (of 38).

Quote Originally Posted by goldenband View Post
    Speaking of which, 2022 approaches. Sadly I didn't have the bandwidth to do anything of consequence for the list in 2021,
    Well we both didn't cover ourselves in glory in 2021, especially in regard to our "commitments". Let's hope for a better 2022.

Gold Gamer Goati Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert Goati's Avatar

I've played through Master of Monsters in 2021 and did the second campaign since that's the one exclusive to the Mega Drive; I can't really vouch for it being harder than the first but I feel there was a really hardcore crazy mission early on, maybe the 3rd or 4th, where you had to fend off blue to the bottom right and then green would come at you from the far left with the craziest units.
    Some teleport+wraith strat is maybe what I used but it felt really unbalanced and kinda unfair that early on.

Other than that, another crazy high-value MD port and a great game I loved, good job!

Retrogaming lore videos on YouTube

Twitch partner at twitch.tv/goati_

I livestream different systems and Japanese exclusives with some language competence.
    Since 2014, though, I carry on the Megamarathon project: beating and documenting every single Mega Drive videogame.
    All regions, unlicensed, unreleased, homebrews...

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingSports Talker Like G's Avatar

Do we have a thread for 2022?
    Don't let me suffer anymore!

Quote Originally Posted by Like G View Post
    Do we have a thread for 2022?
    This is it! I've been crazy busy and haven't had time to ask a moderator to change the year in the title, but this is still where all the action is happening. Dare we hope that you have a fresh win to claim?

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingSports Talker Like G's Avatar

Dare we hope that you have a fresh win to claim?
    Not yet, but I'll give a shot at the CD 32X versions of Slam City w/S.P. and Supreme Warrior.
    I've cleared Supreme Warrior several years ago on normal mode, but never went very far on hard. Anyway, it's gonna be fun to revisit this masterpiece.

On a side note, I have the Japanese versions of Lethal Enforces II and Shining Force CD sitting on the shelf. I've never heard of any major regional differences (besides a level select code in the US Lethal Enforces, and the obvious language difference in both games), so do you think clearing those 2 Mega CD games would be accepted?
    Last edited by Like G; 04-22-2022 at 11:59 PM.
    Don't let me suffer anymore!

I beat Terminator 2 Judgment Day back in 2012 or so and after I mastered it, I could repeat it as well. I played it on orginal hardware. I'm pretty sure I posted about it on these forums back then, but I haven't been able to find the post. In any case I can only give my word, I don't have a screenshot or anthing. And I don't feel like all the practice again In any case, I saw it on the list and thought I'd mention it and save someone else from a world of pain. No hard feelings if it doesn't count for the list.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert Fozzy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GelmiR View Post
    I beat Terminator 2 Judgment Day back in 2012 or so and after I mastered it, I could repeat it as well. I played it on orginal hardware. I'm pretty sure I posted about it on these forums back then, but I haven't been able to find the post. In any case I can only give my word, I don't have a screenshot or anthing. And I don't feel like all the practice again In any case, I saw it on the list and thought I'd mention it and save someone else from a world of pain. No hard feelings if it doesn't count for the list.

I believe it's this post from Latest Reviews.

https://www.sega-16.com/forum/showth...ge2#post532858

Quote Originally Posted by Fozzy View Post
    I believe it's this post from Latest Reviews.

https://www.sega-16.com/forum/showth...ge2#post532858
    It is, thanks for finding it!

Quote Originally Posted by Like G View Post
    Not yet, but I'll give a shot at the CD 32X versions of Slam City w/S.P. and Supreme Warrior.
    I've cleared Supreme Warrior several years ago on normal mode, but never went very far on hard. Anyway, it's gonna be fun to revisit this masterpiece.

On a side note, I have the Japanese versions of Lethal Enforces II and Shining Force CD sitting on the shelf. I've never heard of any major regional differences (besides a level select code in the US Lethal Enforces, and the obvious language difference in both games), so do you think clearing those 2 Mega CD games would be accepted?
    That'd be great, Like G, if you're willing to take those on! I don't know anything about regional differences with Lethal Enforcers II and Shining Force CD. Ideally I'd want to know for sure that Shining Force in particular had no differences, since RPGs are often rebalanced when they're localized. Lethal Enforcers II should be fine though.

Quote Originally Posted by GelmiR View Post
    I'd gladly take your word for it, but unfortunately from Fozzy's link we can see that the victory was indeed in 2012 and, tragically, happened only 6 weeks before we started this project. So that's too early to count; if only it'd been six weeks later!

If you'd be willing to do it again, that'd be great. I went through my own world of licensed Arnold pain when I beat Last Action Hero, so I'm well-placed to appreciate your courage.

I'd gladly take your word for it, but unfortunately from Fozzy's link we can see that the victory was indeed in 2012 and, tragically, happened only 6 weeks before we started this project. So that's too early to count; if only it'd been six weeks later!

If you'd be willing to do it again, that'd be great. I went through my own world of licensed Arnold pain when I beat Last Action Hero, so I'm well-placed to appreciate your courage.
    No worries Unfortunately I don't think so, but I'll give it some thought. I don't play on real hardware anymore, though. If I'd play it on Wii through Genesis Plus GX without saving or codes, would it still count? If it's real hardware I'd have to give a definitive no. My Mega Drive is boxed up in my cabinet

Gold Gamer Goati Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert Goati's Avatar

I doublechecked but emulation is indeed good!

No cheats, codes, or other trickery, unless the codes are listed in the manual. Emulation is OK but no savestates. Autofire is usually OK unless it's an obvious cheat.

Retrogaming lore videos on YouTube

Twitch partner at twitch.tv/goati_

I livestream different systems and Japanese exclusives with some language competence.
    Since 2014, though, I carry on the Megamarathon project: beating and documenting every single Mega Drive videogame.
    All regions, unlicensed, unreleased, homebrews...

Quote Originally Posted by Goati View Post
    I doublechecked but emulation is indeed good!
    Cool, thanks for checking

Thread Information