Quantcast

Page 27 of 70 FirstFirst ... 1723242526272829303137 ... LastLast

Thread: Can Sega-16 Beat the Last of the Genesis, Sega CD, & 32X Libraries in 2021?

Banned by Administrators

^^^ Seriously. You guys just had to waste my morning by having to mouse wheel scroll through all that.

Raging in the Streets goldenband's Avatar

@Barone: Awesome!! Thanks so much for taking that down. What'd you think of it?

Banned by Administrators

Quote Originally Posted by goldenband View Post
    @Barone: Awesome!! Thanks so much for taking that down. What'd you think of it?
    Yes, and did you also by any chance also play Kawasaki Super Bike Challenge to know how it compares to it?

Hero of Algol

Default Newman-Haas IndyCar Racing: Featuring Nigel Mansell - Analysis

The audio department is pretty poor, borrowing most of the sfx from the aurally painful Genesis' Top Gear 2.
    The tracks lack elevation changes (something that all Vroom-based games have) which is a major hit to any 16-bit (and on) racing game IMO.
    The camera also doesn't have angle changes nor the background has the tilting effect of the Vroom-based games on the Mega Drive; another minus in tech department.

But I like how loose the steering feels and how they translated a proper under steering feel to the digital pad controls. In this aspect and in terms of how much your car slides in the sharper turns I think it's superior to the Vroom-based games, which feel clunky in that area.

The track side objects and buildings are mostly unrealistic (even more than in the Vroom-based games IMO) and nonsense for the most part, which along with the lack of elevation changes contributes to a complete lack of track recognition based on the real life circuits. The atmosphere is simply not there.

The AI is one of the strong points of this game IMO - it seems to be superior/has significant advantages when compared to Formula One World Championship: Beyond the Limit's, Fastest 1's and the Super Monaco GP console games. The battle for the first place can be pretty heated depending on the track and the traffic is really an issue as it should be in a arcade-ish game.
    I've also noticed some very interesting behavior a few times: the AI lap times for the qualifying seem to auto-adjust to your practice and qualifying lap times to some extent. That's pretty cool and unexpected IMO.

The presentation lacks some oomph and feels unpolished for the most part. The controls inside the menus and standings screens are confusing and harsh (pressing start will usually make you jump off a whole set of screens, which is weird; some result screens have very short timeout - and why the hell they have a timeout to being with?!).
    I miss some announcer samples for Christ's sake!
    But the ending sequence is cool.

The gameplay in the arcade mode has some interesting simulation elements, like random yellow flag events which might be respect otherwise you'll be punished for overtaking the cars.
    The pit stops are not necessary here and the pit lane is a bad joke visually speaking but it has a cool animation for the actual pit work.
    I miss some car setup options though (which are exclusive to the simulation mode); the wing adjustment - at the very least - should be available.

The simulation mode while makes the car setup available (which is a plus) ends up revealing more gameplay flaws than the Arcade one IMO. The race rules get kinda rigorous (pit speeding punishment comes to mind) but the crashes are still highly ignored in terms of actual gameplay repercussions (like handling damage) and it's not adjustable, which is pretty sad.
    There's also no options regarding the number of laps per race, which makes the forced pit stops kinda lame. No fueling strategy here, which has been a big part of IndyCar racing in the last decades; another negative point to this game.
    The tire consumption system is OK but still quite inferior to Fastest 1's IMO.
    The handling is affected by your setup but it lacks realism; lacks a LOT.

All in all, I had some good challenge and a bit of fun while playing it, but it leaves a lot to be desired.
    It certainly lacks a ton of features and realism elements when compared to a juggernaut like Sega CD's Formula One World Championship: Beyond the Limit (1994), but the fact that it also lacks a whole lot when compared to the much earlier released Human's Fastest 1 (1991) indicates how much room for improvement it has.
    Last edited by Barone; 03-26-2016 at 10:55 PM.

Banned by Administrators

^ Well, can't rep. As that was a nice insightful overview.

And what? You played enough Human's Fastest 1? And that Fastest 1 has some one ups over this game? Mind. Blown. Fastest 1 was so hard to try to get into. Still haven't succeed at it. So I'll have to take your word for it now.

Hero of Algol

I played a LOT of Fastest 1. It's easily of the best 4th gen F1 games.

Here you go:
    Quote Originally Posted by Olls View Post
    What makes this game better than Ayrton Senna's? I haven't really played this one, so I can't say.
    Quote Originally Posted by Barone View Post
    Needless to say that I'm a big Senna's fan, OK?

Well, at first Fastest 1 looks like a SMS game with only 30% of screen dedicated to the gameplay area. Almost no trackside objects. All menus and text seems to be in English, but they are in Engrish... The Championship mode is confusing at first, doesn't allow you to select all teams/cars and you'll NOT race if you fail to qualify and will be obligated to WATCH the full race. Steering options are hard to understand and will probably make you set it wrong and you'll have a hard time trying to make the car stay on the track.
    All that explains the USD0.01 quotation.

But:
    The game engine is superb. Actually an improved and upgraded version of F1 Triple Battle for the PCE. They look identical at first, but they aren't... Several details were improved/included for the MD version.
    You have:
    -Realistic weather (with much better effects than on the PCE version).
    -Realistic track course (very closed turns like you'll hardly find in any other racing game using line scrolling) (elevation changes are very very close to the real tracks) (scrolling is significantly smoother than on the PCE).
    -Realistic tire grip & consumption (for each tire compound you have really different grip and durability) (all the F1 drama is here when your tires get worn at the end of the race and you don't have enough advantage to do a pit stop and return in the same position; the car gets REALLY difficult to drive in extreme situations) (the grip reducing is not exactly linear, very realistic) (your driving style and car setup directly influences the tire consumption).
    -Different handling and aerodynamic efficiency for each team's cars.
    -Each engine model has the exact same horsepower that it had in the real F1.
    -Each engine sounds a bit different.
    -Each team has an "organization" grade which means that the pit-stop time varies (randomly) inside a specific range. Like: "A"== 7.0-8.5 seconds for a tire changing pit-stop. "C" == 8.5-9.5 seconds; something like that.
    -Championship mode is actually a career mode and you'll only be able to move to better team in the next season if you did very well in the last one. You'll be evaluated not only in terms of championship points but in other stuff like "Number of Poles" "Number of finished races" "Number of wins" "Number of successful qualifyings"...
    -The tracks have almost no trackside objects (this look horrible in places like Monaco) but the background layer on the horizon is a small but detailed image representing the landscape of the real circuits. Example: in Imola you'll see some small houses in a forest with a unique design; exactly like the ones that surround the real track in those years.
    -Each team has a different painting on the cars, unlike in Senna's SMGPII.
    -The car animation is neat and the opponents' cars have as much details as yours.
    -Very simple graphics but no flickering and slowdown.

The engine noise isn't great but it is surely much less annoying than on Senna's game.
    Controls are MUCH better and really perfect IMO. You have to use always the first steering option ("I.A.S." or something like that) when you are still learning how to control the car. It's like a automatically progressive steering, so you have to break before the turns or you'll get out off the track all the time. The other options are for "advanced" driving. You can steer as much as you want, but if you do it wrongly the car will spin off the track. This mode is much harder to use and was, indeed, developed to use with the XE-1AP analog stick controller that this game supports (Senna's also supports it but it doesn't change much
    your driving).
    My hint to qualify is: select the car with better horse power/handling pair that you can get at first, then train using the "free run" mode until you feel that you can easily finish a lap without mistakes. Qualify and go to the race. You'll love the game after 2 races. You won't miss Senna's anymore.

The Engrish is really bad and the menus have some stupid navigation mechanism. I have a hack on the way for this game, 80% of the text is already corrected and using the real names of teams, drivers, engines... I might release a version in the next few weeks. But the original version is totally playable once you have tried the menus and learned what they really mean (the Engrish can leads you to some very wrong assumptions).

Last edited by Barone; 03-26-2016 at 11:35 PM.

I bought Android Assault from a forum member here and am currently waiting for it.
    New user who wants access to the forum? PM Melf!

^Nice, let us know how that goes. I remember liking most of that one and then getting annoyed by the next-to-last level.

Meanwhile I have a stack of unbeaten Genesis games here, looking balefully at me and waiting to be played. King's Bounty, MiG-29, Nobunaga's Ambition, Frank Thomas Big Hurt Baseball, Master of Monsters, and more...all of 'em await.

Banned by Administrators

Quote Originally Posted by goldenband View Post
    ^Nice, let us know how that goes. I remember liking most of that one and then getting annoyed by the next-to-last level.
    Yeah, same here. That level kicked my butt good too.

I may be able to do it if it's any easier than Undeadline on normal, which I have beaten .
    New user who wants access to the forum? PM Melf!

Bring on the noise! WCPO Agent Bones Justice's Avatar

heart Kawasaki Superbike Challenge

Finished Kawasaki Superbike Challenge. This game is awesome! Looks great, fun to play, challenging.

Some tips:

*If the weather forecast is for light showers that will clear, qualify with wets then start your race with mediums. This can save you an early tire change when the sun comes out.

*Open curves (those with no obstacles) are the best to take chances on. Grass will slow you but obstacles will kill you.

*If you are hearing screeching, you are leaning too far in, ease up!

*Downshifting > brakes but don't forget to use 'em.

*If you need to slow for a curve, do it before entering then roll on to the throttle through the curve.

*Watch out for slower traffic, hitting a slower bike can throw you from the track!

*Slow traffic occurs mostly around the pit area but you can start to pass the last bikes after several laps so again, watch out.

Quote Originally Posted by Barone View Post
    Great video. It's funny how people complain about graphics in racing games yet in real life, the driver can't see much beyond the lines anyways.
    Last edited by Bones Justice; 04-04-2016 at 09:26 PM.
    Slayer-1: "Minus 210 degrees...minus 215...minus 220. Why are you still standing?"

Bones: "My will...will not die."

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=AJ-iQfP3mFs

^Brilliant! Glad to see that game go down, and glad you enjoyed it.

Gold Gamer Goati Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert Goati's Avatar

Hey, it's been a while!
    In my streaming challenge I'm currently trying to beat Roadblasters and it's among the hardest, so far.
    I know The Coop has already beaten it, but I was wondering if he set it on practice mode.

The game is cheap as hell, totally designed to be played for score and not to be beaten.
    Having a very hard time beating stage 47 out of 50, the turrets-only one, but I'll persist.

I checked the unbeaten list, nothing to report yet!
    Although I've beaten some games not in the list in the first place, like japanese games, unlicensed and unreleased ones.

Still haven't got around to beating Super League Mode in Micro Machines 2, but I just have to stop being lazy and put a couple days on it.

little off topic: I'd have neat stuff to share with you guys but I think you need 50 posts or something to be able to open threads? I'll wait, enjoy

Twitch partner at twitch.tv/goati_
    »» Retrogaming lore videos on YouTube ««

I livestream different systems and Japanese exclusives with some language competence.
    Since 2014, though, I carry on the Megamarathon project: beating and documenting every single Mega Drive videogame.
    All regions, unlicensed, unreleased, homebrews...

Hey, thanks for checking in! Glad to know your project is still going. I'd imagine The Coop beat RoadBlasters on whatever the equivalent of Normal difficulty is -- he's that kind of guy -- but if he's reading this, Coop, can you confirm?

And yes, anytime you beat a game on the list -- or complete Super League Mode in MM2 -- please do let us know. What criteria do you use to select which game to pick next?

Gold Gamer Goati Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert Goati's Avatar

There is a raffle in the channel when a game gets beaten, and whoever wins gets to pick a game, with only very few necessary restrictions applied.
    I like beating games without help, hints, internet, easier settings, pause buffering, savestate practice etc etc so, since the average difficulty of the library is very high, raffles don't happen too often

And about Roadblasters, I was just curious because of how cheap-brutal the game is
    It defaults on Easy, by the way, but there's another setting which is defaulted at normal but that you can switch to practice, where you don't crash into cars
    I had to bring out the jp sega arcade power stick so I could use rapidfire, or my arm would've fallen from the mashing.

Twitch partner at twitch.tv/goati_
    »» Retrogaming lore videos on YouTube ««

I livestream different systems and Japanese exclusives with some language competence.
    Since 2014, though, I carry on the Megamarathon project: beating and documenting every single Mega Drive videogame.
    All regions, unlicensed, unreleased, homebrews...

Thread Information