Quantcast

Page 31 of 73 FirstFirst ... 2127282930313233343541 ... LastLast

Thread: Can Sega-16 Beat the Last of the Genesis, Sega CD, & 32X Libraries in 2021?

Quote Originally Posted by goldenband View Post
    There's a reference to the "TNN TOURNAMENT" at 0x100FEE. Is the "Final" tournament actually the TNN, then?
    That is correct. I'll post a request for him in the Game Genie codes thread if you can't find it. I have only a very limited knowledge of hex editing.

The bad thing is that I wasted most of my morning beating the second half of the senior tournament. It's pretty unbelievable.

Raging in the Streets goldenband's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Chimaera View Post
    That is correct. I'll post a request for him in the Game Genie codes thread if you can't find it. I have only a very limited knowledge of hex editing.
    I've sent him a PM. I think it might require tracing the address that would trigger that message/variable, and then figuring out what the required value would be.

The bad thing is that I wasted most of my morning beating the second half of the senior tournament. It's pretty unbelievable.
    I don't know how the game works -- is that wasted effort, or can you resume from that point once we get the password?

Meanwhile I just beat Easy Street on Paperboy on Easy difficulty, which isn't enough for our purposes (we should do at least the equivalent of Medium/Medium) but is the first time I've ever made it to the end of a week in any version of Paperboy.

So I'm going through TNN Outdoors Bass Tournament 96. There are 3 parts to the Junior Tournament, 2 parts to the Senior Tournament, and then the Final Tournament.

Except, and this is straight from the manual "You will need a password to play in the final tournament. The password will be given out on April 27, 1996 at 12 noon on TNN Outdoors Television."

So unless someone here has the password, this game is unwinnable.
    I'm working on this, but I have a couple questions. Does anyone have any save games (or save states) with different tournament levels? The more different levels, the better. Also, I assume that you enter the password on the screen where you enter your name?

EDIT: You can ignore the questions, got it figured out.
    Last edited by Tony H; 06-26-2016 at 09:39 PM.

So I'm going through TNN Outdoors Bass Tournament 96. There are 3 parts to the Junior Tournament, 2 parts to the Senior Tournament, and then the Final Tournament.

Except, and this is straight from the manual "You will need a password to play in the final tournament. The password will be given out on April 27, 1996 at 12 noon on TNN Outdoors Television."

There is no record that I can find of this password. The one on Gamefaqs is inaccurate and there is no further info on the game that I can find.

So unless someone here has the password, this game is unwinnable.
    The correct password is JJJBASS.

It is not stored in plain text in the ROM, so had to dig a little. The programing uses a simple format for the password: A = 0, B = 1, C = 2, etc.

Here's a Game Genie code to take you directly to the password screen (after you enter your name). Code must be activated before you get to the title screen: SEFA-BYWA

I tested these a couple times and they seemed to work fine. let me know if there are any problems.
    Last edited by Tony H; 07-03-2016 at 08:11 PM. Reason: Corrected GG code

^Awesome!! Thanks so much, Tony -- you've just solved a mystery that would've made this project impossible to complete without your help.

Chimaera, let us know how it goes!

TNN Outdoors Bass Tournament '96 is beaten!

After the pleasant experience I had with the first TNN game, I decided to try out the sequel, since I own them both. And boy, was I extremely disappointed.

Instead of building on the decent engine of the first game, they scrapped it in favor of a far inferior one, and for every slight improvement, they took something good away.

Pros:

Now you can identify fish before you catch them, so you won't waste time on catfish or crappie. It's still tough to distinguish largemouth from smallmouth, though.

A wider array of lakes are available.

Lures are actually differentiated, but you can't pick their color anymore.

The music is slightly more bearable.

The overhead graphics are improved.

Weather effects such as rain, thunder, and lightning are now included, though they seem to only have a minimal effect on the fish.

Cons:

Once you motor over a fish area on your depthfinder, the fish automatically disappear. Unlike the first game, you can't chase them around. This eliminates a lot of the fun.

The actual reeling part of the game is far less exciting than the first game, and somehow involves even less strategy. Instead of the detailed HUD from the original, now all you have is the wind direction.

Smallmouth bass no longer count toward your total. You can only catch largemouth. Why?

The game takes about 5 times as long to beat as the original. Each tournament gives you a (real-time) hour to complete, but you will never need all that time. The day starts at 7:00, and I always hit my limit before 11:00. Don't waste your time catching extra fish, as the bare minimum will do you just fine. Your competitors aren't very good.

The actual fishing graphics manage to look worse than the original. Sometimes, you'll reel over a fish and not see it because it's the same shape as a rock and everything is the same color green. Unacceptable.

Also, the casting is much more unwieldy. In the original, you chose a dot to cast to, watched your strength meter, and cast. Here, the meter is gone and now you have to worry about the wind, which is always blowing in the wrong direction and sometimes makes it impossible to get your lure near any fish.

My Results:

Junior Tournament

Pt. 1 - 1st place (44 lbs)
    Pt. 2 - 1st place (39 lbs)
    Pt. 3 - 1st place (49 lbs)

Senior Tournament

Pt. 1 - 1st place (46 lbs)
    Pt. 2 - 1st place (51 lbs)

TNN Tournament

1st place (60 lbs)

To access the final tournament you need a password (JJJBASS) (Thanks to Tony Hedstrom for discovering this).This is really pointless and annoying, as the only purpose it serves is to advertise the TNN channel even further. Cheap product placement at its worst.

2 (2).jpg

Inexplicably and with no warning, during the TNN tournament, only your top five catches are counted. I actually ended up catching about 70 lbs during the tournament, but the smaller ones don't count toward the total for arbitrary reasons.

3.jpg

Once you see your score, you get this lame-ass, static image ending screen:

4.jpg

And back to the Sega logo. That's just lazy. It's like they figured no one would bother to get to the ending.

My biggest bass was a 13.3 pounder, though I lost a few that were probably even bigger. And I managed to drag in a monster catfish that weighed 29.82 lbs! That was a fun fight.

1.jpg

Tips:

In warm weather, the fish supposedly move to deeper water.

Once a fish shakes your lure off, you'll never get him to bite again, so just move on.

When fishing in the shallow weeds, stick with the spinner bait. For most other purposes, alternate between the artificial worms/sluggos and the crank baits.

If you see a big fish very far out (say 50+ feet) just let it go. The big fish will sometimes drag your line out 30-45 ft, so make sure you catch them when they are close to the boat, so you give them enough room to take the line out without breaking it. Once the fish pulls your lure 70 ft out, it breaks the line.

I actually already wrote a site review for this game, but upon replaying it, I like it even less! The flaws are very apparent, and they outweigh the few improvements made. Didn't really enjoy my time with this one. This sits comfortably in the 3-4 out of 10 area. A gigantic disappointment that took away everything that made the first game good and replaced it with generic, boring fishing game elements. Stick the the first one, and avoid this.

^Fantastic! Thanks to you (and Tony H) for this, and for the tips as well. The last fishing game, complete!

Do you think you'll update your site review based on your new experiences with the game? I'm sure Melf would be happy to do so if you think it's warranted.

Meanwhile my wife and I are very close to finishing Dracula Unleashed -- we just have to figure out how to get past what seems to be the final hurdle.

Gold Gamer Goati Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert Goati's Avatar

Thank you, Tony H, you rock!
    Good job on the clears, guys.

What about adding the japanese library of MD games? Maybe only after we're done with the other releases.

Retrogaming lore videos on YouTube

Twitch partner at twitch.tv/goati_

I livestream different systems and Japanese exclusives with some language competence.
    Since 2014, though, I carry on the Megamarathon project: beating and documenting every single Mega Drive videogame.
    All regions, unlicensed, unreleased, homebrews...

Quote Originally Posted by goldenband View Post
    Do you think you'll update your site review based on your new experiences with the game?
    Nah, I think a 4 is right, though it's a liiight 4

Quote Originally Posted by Goati View Post
    What about adding the japanese library of MD games? Maybe only after we're done with the other releases.
    Jeez, that could only happen after the main project was completed. No clue what we'd do about text-heavy games like Shura no Mon, the unlocalized Nobunaga game, etc. I love the idea in principle, though.

BTW congrats on beating Rings of Power!

Nah, I think a 4 is right, though it's a liiight 4
    Oh, I didn't mean changing the rating, but more adding the amazing (and bizarre) detail that the game required you to watch a TV broadcast to complete it! But now that we've had this discussion, and thanks to you and Tony H, the Internet has the answer.

Still working on Dracula Unleashed, trying to get through the gauntlet of the last day. I think we're close.

I have found the answer to the King of the Monsters question through messing around with the game on Kega Fusion.

To get the actual ending, you have to play at the hardest settings available.

Mania mode, 3 minute rounds, and only 3 continues. Only then will you get to see the true ending. I find this preposterous and kind of insulting. I captured some screenshots, but I have to find a way to convert them so I can post them here.

For the record, I beat the game on Mania mode, but with 5 minute rounds and 12 continues, which only gives you the same generic "try again" screen. There's no way I can do any harder than that. Way too demanding!

^I kind of figured something like that might be up. TBH, I'm inclined to count your victory anyway -- it gives you a "CONGRATULATIONS", and doesn't give you a "SORRY, BAD END" message.

Meanwhile, there's this:

It may not look like much, but that victory screen is the product of a hard-won win over Dracula Unleashed. (I would have taken an earlier shot, but it's all FMV and I'd rather avoid spoilers anyway.)

My wife and I first started working on this game back in 2011 (!), got stuck, and set it aside for four years. Then we restarted from scratch again last year, got further into the game...and set it aside again for a year.

Then we resumed working on it five days ago, played for an hour or two each day, and finally figured out the win tonight. So satisfying to put the stake in this at last!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Gold Gamer Goati Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert Goati's Avatar

The stake.. heh. Nicely done
    Well I personally plan on beating all the text heavy japan games as well, even though atm I only have a very light knowledge of the language, sometimes there's translation or it's enough just understanding the menu options. Speaking of which, I recently purchased a sega mouse I can use with Lord Monarch!
    But hey it's chat a chat topic, I'm not actually suggesting to add the japanese releases at the moment.

And thanks, rings of power was a huge task with no hints! took more than 60hours,same as rampart.. funny, one is a huge open world game, the other a simple 6level short game.

Retrogaming lore videos on YouTube

Twitch partner at twitch.tv/goati_

I livestream different systems and Japanese exclusives with some language competence.
    Since 2014, though, I carry on the Megamarathon project: beating and documenting every single Mega Drive videogame.
    All regions, unlicensed, unreleased, homebrews...

Tried my luck at Ballz and Toughman Contest. Button-mashing ain't my talent. Might try on Ecco the Dolphin or Thunderhawk later today.
    New user who wants access to the forum? PM Melf!

Played Thunderhawk a few missions and found out that game doesn't like extension cords (dafuq?). Ecco went better. I have beaten the cart version so this one should be possible too. I came to The Lagoon.
    New user who wants access to the forum? PM Melf!

Thread Information