Quantcast

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Thread: Surging Aura : status of translations ?

Maybe this filler guy/gal here can help out?

http://www.dynamic-designs.us/d-dfor...php?f=29&t=886
    New user who wants access to the forum? PM Melf!

Wildside Expert

Quote Originally Posted by Zebbe View Post
    Maybe this filler guy/gal here can help out?

http://www.dynamic-designs.us/d-dfor...php?f=29&t=886
    Thanks. I'll reach out to filler and see if their interested!
    Twilight Translations: Japanese Games - Englisherize!
    (Engrish not included.)
    Now with 25% more Blog than the next leading brand!

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingNameless One

As I mentioned a while ago, I can do it; I translated a couple of games in the past, and I played through SA in Japanese, so I know the story already. If nobody else answers, drop me a message either here or via RHDN. Would be good to know if there are any limitations concerning the space as well, but I guess that's for the later. Is anything done at all as far as the translation goes? If not, it will likely take a couple of months to do this, even if it's not the longest RPG ever it still has a fair deal of text.
    Last edited by cccmar; 02-21-2018 at 04:38 AM.

Wildside Expert

Quote Originally Posted by cccmar View Post
    As I mentioned a while ago, I can do it; I translated a couple of games in the past, and I played through SA in Japanese, so I know the story already. If nobody else answers, drop me a message either here or via RHDN. Would be good to know if there are any limitations concerning the space as well, but I guess that's for the later. Is anything done at all as far as the translation goes? If not, it will likely take a couple of months to do this, even if it's not the longest RPG ever it still has a fair deal of text.
    The previous translator did manage to translate some of the script. I can share that with you. Can you PM the details on where you want the script sent? We can deal with any limitations later as we encounter them. For now I'm just interested in getting the script translated. We'll handle editing and polishing later in the process. Thanks!
    Twilight Translations: Japanese Games - Englisherize!
    (Engrish not included.)
    Now with 25% more Blog than the next leading brand!

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingNameless One

Alright, sent you a message; let's get this ball rolling. Of course, once the rough draft is done, a couple of playthroughs (and maybe even a beta of some sort) would be a good idea. Well, we'll cross that bridge when we get there.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-Training

Wow! I hope things are going smoothly for you guys with this translation!

As a side note, is it more normal to have translators who are native English speakers or native japanese speakers?

Also, if worst comes to worse, wouldn't it be possible to get in contact with a professional japanese translator and pay him to do it? Funding could be done via a crowfunder.

Mega Driver Hedgehog-in-TrainingMaster of Shinobi Gryson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Zense View Post
    Wow! I hope things are going smoothly for you guys with this translation!

As a side note, is it more normal to have translators who are native English speakers or native japanese speakers?

Also, if worst comes to worse, wouldn't it be possible to get in contact with a professional japanese translator and pay him to do it? Funding could be done via a crowfunder.
    Native English speakers (or early bilinguals) translate into English. It doesn't really work the other way. Creating language is much more demanding than understanding it.

Translating long RPG scripts takes many hours usually, and it would cost too much for a professional and kind of go against the ethic of fan translating. But I don't think that's the problem here, since cccmar seems willing to translate it.

Wildside Expert

Also, crowdfunding a fan-translation would be illegal unless you can buy the license from Sega, and likely to get shut down quickly (and obviously wouldn't be supported by kickstarter or a similar site).

One question, people who are native in japanese and also speak english, can tell us if the game is really good?
    i never wachted or readed one review about this game..

Visit my youtube channel Pyron's Lair
    Take here all my hacks made with love for all of us here
    Want to help me? Here is my Patreon!

Fan-translations are actually illegal even without money involved, because the original author owns the right to decide what languages their work is made in. With that said, I don't care about that, I want to be able to enjoy some games which will never be translated by the original author anyway, and where the fan translation won't hurt said author economically in any way.

Quote Originally Posted by Pyron View Post
    One question, people who are native in japanese and also speak english, can tell us if the game is really good?
    i never wachted or readed one review about this game..
    It received a mediocre score of 7.2/10 on Beep! MD's reader reviews. That puts it at about #255 out of 520 or so Mega Drive and Mega CD games. But it came out after the release of the Saturn, so that's probably going to have a big effect.

Wildside Expert

Quote Originally Posted by Zebbe View Post
    Fan-translations are actually illegal even without money involved, because the original author owns the right to decide what languages their work is made in. With that said, I don't care about that, I want to be able to enjoy some games which will never be translated by the original author anyway, and where the fan translation won't hurt said author economically in any way.
    Involving money in it makes a big difference, though. I've never heard of a case where a company took legal action to stop a fan translation (maybe one those dumb Pokemon translations where everyone knew an official one was coming soon?), but if someone's profiting from it and it attracts notice, it forces their hand. That could have repercussions on fan translations in general, like what happened with a bunch of ROM sites recently.

Concerning Surging Aura, I played the French fan-translation for a while, and it was disappointing. Either they cut out a bunch of text, or there's very little of it, suggesting a rush job similar to Phantasy Star III. It didn't feel like a 1995 RPG; there was no real character interaction except when a new character joined, no involved story scene except for the intro... The battle system felt a little weird, but I think I'd gotten used to it. Also, the core team doesn't seem to be internal Sega staff, but a company named Japan Media Programming; the only familiar name is Kotaro Hayashida (lead designer of Alex Kidd in Miracle World, director of the first Phantasy Star), who's credited for the scenario. The visual style is very attractive, though.
    Last edited by Jules Walter; 10-24-2018 at 11:26 AM.

^True about the money!

I think the French translation butchered the original a bit, IIRC. Let's hope there is more meat to the bone when the English one comes out.

The engine was the same as in Phantasy Star IV I think.

The game also experienced a huge delay. As I recall, in early 1993 it was announced with a release date of July 1993 or so. Then it kind of disappeared from the press's radar until late 1994.

Wildside Expert

I really hope they did butcher that French translation (it seemed unpolished, at the very least), but I'd say the chance that Surging Aura is this secret Phantasy Star IV we've been missing all along is slim to none. Might still be decent, though. I'd definitely give it a go if it were translated into English. You know what might be better? The 3X3 Eyes RPG on the Sega CD. RPGs based on anime licenses tend to suck, but that wasn't true for Sega - see Magic Knight Rayheart on Saturn - and some of the team members from Defenders of Oasis (which is about as good as a Game Gear RPG could ever be) worked on it.

Does anyone know if Yu Yu Hakusho Gaiden is being worked on? It actually seems really cool from what I've played. I like that the art is fullscreen (and third-person) instead of having menus in the way like most graphic adventures, and the real-time battle system is fun, even if it's pretty wonky. Seems like it's a pretty short game, too.

Thread Information