Quantcast

Thread: Dreamcast Region mod

Mega Driven Raging in the Streets cleeg's Avatar

Dc Dreamcast Region mod

I'm thinking of doing this...

http://www.mmmonkey.co.uk/console/sega/dc-region.htm

I understand that leaving it connected will be dangerous as I've read that some games will try to reflash the BIOS chip and this wiring can cause some sort of short. If I were to add a push to make switch (like a momentary push button) into the link wire would I be able to use the region and speed changing disc's functions whilst holding it down?

I assume that once the BIOS chip is reflashed with the desired region / speed and the switch released the circuit board is then unchanged in terms of its original wiring, therefore safe if a game that tries to reflash is booted?

Also, does anyone know if this damages the BIOS chip over time, what with all the flashing etc..?

One more question, does the region changing disc just allow me to select a region and speed, in the same fashion as a traditional two switch mod on a MegaDrive would function? I would really prefer a mod chip, but they seem hard to come by these days, and the bootdisc method is a little cumbersome for my taste so this seems a nice compromise.

Thanks folks.
    Last edited by cleeg; 02-01-2015 at 06:23 AM.

Would you consider a region free bios instead? Badad84 over at Assembler forums sells them. Not overly hard to install, just fiddly.
    Thank you for donating to the Sega 16 bit manuals!

Hi omp, glad you answered. I might, but it's beyond my skills to install it. I like also to have manual control of region and Hz whenever possible. Does this region free BIOS have those types of options, or is all that automatic on game insertion?

As far I know it the RF Bios has the developer animation (looks cool) and plays games of any region but I have no idea about the HZ you're talking about, if you mean the image or speed of different region games I from personal experience never had issues playing PAL games in my NTSC System and in color too. Doing your method will also work with a momentary switch.

Thanks Helder, I'm glad you replied too! I think I'll go with my method if you say it'll work. My eventual plan is to have the region changing disc image installed on a serial port adapter's SD card, and to hopefully get a DC Emu board (everything crossed!). I'm hoping that I can rip to .GDI format with a second console onto SD card and then run these on the emu board in my good unit.

I'll post my results as I go, next, off to eBay for a switch!

Dude I'll send you a switch when I ship your stuff tomorrow so don't worry.

Thanks mate, that's really kind. I can't rep you I'm afarid, but I really appreciate that, cheers!

Okay. I've borked my DC, I have the dreaded black swirl . I made the modification as described above, following the mmmonkey guide with great care. I added the push to make switch breaking the connection (different to the one Helder sent, I bought one from Maplin that was easier to fit). I tested the unit out with a PAL disc (the DC is natively PAL) of Virtua Fighter TB and despite some reading problems I got it to run, so I know the unit was working after my soldering, it also read CDs. Now after the mod I'm having to reset the date and time along with all the other aspects of the dead BIOS that entail, here's how I destroyed the poor thing...

I inserted a region changing disc (DC Swat productions region changer v1.5) pressed Y for 60Hz when prompted and brought up the menu, and went to CHANGE REGION, I changed the Country to USA and the broadcast to NTSC, held down the push to make switch and hit REFLASH on the screen. Having now just watched a video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lmi73bPjD_0) on the subject I notice there was an option to CHANGE SWIRL TO BLACK, I'm not sure if this was present on my disc or not, I didn't notice it at the time, but I may have left this option ticked. I now cannot read game discs from PAL or USNTSC regions, or the Dreamshell and region changer CDRs, it just asks to insert a game disc.

I'm thinking that I should have switched the console off and on again rather than rebooting from this menu in order to not risk having the wire connected? I'm not sure this should affect things because I know some folk have no switch in the circuit at all. As far as money goes I can get another DC for 23 from the guy at my local market, he has tons, but it's such a shame to have a wreck on my hands. I'm keen to mod a new one in the same fashion, but don't want to kill it, am I missing something glaringly obvious here? I understand that the switch could have been faulty, but it 'felt' Okay.

I wouldn't care but I've resprayed the damn thing and it looks nice now!

Any help is appreciated as always.

If this unit is useful to anyone else for spares or repairs please let me know, I'll sell it cheap, but would prefer to keep the GD ROM drive.

Try this method here to see if booting games works then boot the region changer to fix the flash.

https://www.assemblergames.com/forum...-do-I-fix-this

In the end I have just bought a new DC for 17 (bargain!). I'm sending it to Video Game Perfection to have a region free BIOS fitted. Would be nice to fix my other unit too though, is it just as simple as replacing the fried chip(S)?

It might not be fried but the wrong region or rather an invalid region bit was set. Try what the guy on the last post did to see if it boots a disc of any kind like that region changer disc and set a region on it. If not then a new flash chip is needed.

Thanks Helder, I came across that to no avail. I'll keep it about though, I'm sure it's fixable.

Quote Originally Posted by omp View Post
    Would you consider a region free bios instead? Badad84 over at Assembler forums sells them. Not overly hard to install, just fiddly.
    After my Dreamcast shenannigans I eventually had a professional install a region free BIOS, it has the 3D load screen, and works well. It's picky with discs though, I'm looking forward to the DCEmu coming out.

Thread Information