Quantcast

Thread: Repairing a failing computer monitor

Pc Repairing a failing computer monitor

Hi All,

I have a lenovo monitor that is dying - basically it sort of has "scanlines" on high resolutions, always has weird lines at the top, and doesn't quite look right.

It doesn't look too bad in low res modes as shown here, but it gets ugly in high-res modes.

I have taken it apart and the ribbon cable from the driver board to the panel looks OK. I have also tried placing the monitor in the freezer overnight, to try and "exercise" it through contraction and expansion, but that didn't help either. Does anyone have any ideas? I really like the screen and it would be great to get it working again.

Is this a common thing to put a monitor in the freezer? It has been in my experience, that subjecting LCD -type displays to freezing temperatures actually causes damage to them. This happens because I leave things in my car overnight... or at least used to until things started breaking...

Quote Originally Posted by Tripredacus View Post
    Is this a common thing to put a monitor in the freezer? It has been in my experience, that subjecting LCD -type displays to freezing temperatures actually causes damage to them. This happens because I leave things in my car overnight... or at least used to until things started breaking...
    Not sure if its a common thing, but it was just a random idea I had. Didn't help or cause any further damage. Leaving things in cars is always risky, I melted a computer keyboard one time leaving it on the dashboard in the hot sun.

Is that a 14:9 monitor? That's what it looks like. There's no way to fix something like that so just toss it and go to any of the thrift shops around you and you should be able to find something similar for less than $10 with tax as older monitors are dirt cheap now. That's your best bet.
    Check out my review channel at GameFaqs here. Then feel free to leave feedback and comment here

Very rarely my monitor does that when switching resolutions. Power cycling helps clear it. Really no idea what causes it. I have an HDTV that displayed a bunch of red lines that went away with a power cycle of the panel (only happened once and occurred when rebooting a DVR). To be honest no idea what might cause that to happen.

If I were you, stop putting the monitor in the freezer before you destroy the panel for good. In your case, getting a new monitor is the best option you got because it sounds like nothing you do is making it go away and it sounds like it happens all the time. Newer LCDs will be better than one you got, right now. Alternately try a different computer to rule out a graphics card being part of the problem.

A Light In The Building. Master of Shinobi

Quote Originally Posted by Qjimbo View Post
    Does anyone have any ideas?
    Check the power supply with a multimeter.

Raging in the Streets goldenband's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Chibisteven View Post
    Alternately try a different computer to rule out a graphics card being part of the problem.
    Yeah, I do hope the OP has done this. I've seen similar patterns on laptops in the first stages of a GPU failure.

Quote Originally Posted by chessage View Post
    Check the power supply with a multimeter.
    Interesting suggestion. I think I know someone with one I can borrow.

Quote Originally Posted by goldenband View Post
    Yeah, I do hope the OP has done this. I've seen similar patterns on laptops in the first stages of a GPU failure.
    Yes, tried the VGA and DVI inputs with different systems, all with the same result.

As for throwing it away, I just like the viewing angle of this monitor and it has a cool stand that lets you rotate it (unfortunately I can't attach any monitor to this stand as it isn't VESA standard). I think it would be neat to be able to give it some more life.

Raging in the Streets goldenband's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Qjimbo View Post
    As for throwing it away, I just like the viewing angle of this monitor and it has a cool stand that lets you rotate it (unfortunately I can't attach any monitor to this stand as it isn't VESA standard). I think it would be neat to be able to give it some more life.
    I sincerely hope you're able to do so. We throw too much stuff away as it is, and so much of it could be repaired if we only knew how.

Coincidentally, my own monitor has been giving me trouble for a while, as it refuses to power down the screen when I turn it off -- it goes white instead of black. I've read that can be caused by a bad solder joint, but I wouldn't know where to look.

You should do a physical inspection of the innards. Check for cold soldier joints and bulging caps.

A Light In The Building. Master of Shinobi

Quote Originally Posted by goldenband View Post
    I've read that can be caused by a bad solder joint, but I wouldn't know where to look.
    Take some solder-side photos of the power supply & motherboard.

Common issue on early LCD panels. Do the lines ever go away? Do they move?

Thread Information