Quantcast

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: It was planned a Lord of the Rings game for the SEGA GENESIS?

Default It was planned a Lord of the Rings game for the SEGA GENESIS?

On this Web Site page, we see a interesting article about the Animax, a Animation editor made by Ray Tobey originally for Budokan and later used for a lot of EA Games. The interesting thing is that we see a background graphic for the unreleased game Cybernauts and some graphics for a supposed Lord of the Rings game:

The Balrog and a Orc

Aragorn Sprite?

"Tiled matte animation
    from the Lord of the Rings"

"Gandalf's state table
    for frame #1 out of 215"

There is some information about this project?
    Last edited by LinkueiBR; 02-12-2015 at 02:14 AM.
    VISUAL SHOCK!
    SPEED SHOCK!
    SOUND SHOCK!
    NOW IS TIME TO THE 68000 HEART ON FIRE!

Prince of Persia 2 - The Shadow and the Flame Remastered Edition v1.5

"So I've been collecting all the game-specific posters and included pack-in items that I don't have and I received my Shadow of the Beast poster today. Front is the game specific part, and the back includes a whole bunch of EA releases. At the bottom is a list of Coming Soon!!! games:

Body Count
    Buck Rogers: Countdown to Doomsday
    Lord of the Rings
    Odysseus
    Rings of Power
    Zombie High
    Headbanger Ball
    Beirut Breakout"

source:http://segaage.com/forum/messageview...hreadid=114485

Someone have this poster and could scan to us?
    VISUAL SHOCK!
    SPEED SHOCK!
    SOUND SHOCK!

I really hope that this is better than the SNES version, heck I really hope this is even playable to the end
    This image is too large and exceeds forum specifications. Please reduce it if you want to continue to use it.

Raging in the Streets SEGA.GENESIS1989's Avatar

Kiwi

Cool info! I have a soft spot for Budokan. BITD I admired the way developer managed to animate the sprites and the level of intricate moves that each character possessed. Keep in mind that this game was released a few years prior to the Streets of Rage 2 craze. I wonder how far if the "Lord of the Rings" game was ever finished and if not how far in development the team managed to get.

Someone should contact Ray Tobey and ask him if he remembers if the game was ever finished. Looking at the "contact us" section, it appears that he's updated the section to include recent social media contact info.

EDIT:
    Maybe I'll send him an email/message and see if he replies ...
    "There's nothing to fear, except fear itself"
    http://i1054.photobucket.com/albums/s486/link2link2link/YUZOKOSHIROISAGODNEOSEEDEDITION.gif

This is pretty cool. I'd love to see some sort of version of this game up and running.

Quote Originally Posted by RPGbandit View Post
    I really hope that this is better than the SNES version, heck I really hope this is even playable to the end
    I suppose that was already in a very advanced stage since come to be disclosed on the poster.
    VISUAL SHOCK!
    SPEED SHOCK!
    SOUND SHOCK!

Quote Originally Posted by SEGA.GENESIS1989 View Post
    Cool info! I have a soft spot for Budokan. BITD I admired the way developer managed to animate the sprites and the level of intricate moves that each character possessed. Keep in mind that this game was released a few years prior to the Streets of Rage 2 craze. I wonder how far if the "Lord of the Rings" game was ever finished and if not how far in development the team managed to get.

Someone should contact Ray Tobey and ask him if he remembers if the game was ever finished. Looking at the "contact us" section, it appears that he's updated the section to include recent social media contact info.

EDIT:
    Maybe I'll send him an email/message and see if he replies ...
    Good Idea!!! Please do it, my engrish sux.

Someone has to find this game!!
    VISUAL SHOCK!
    SPEED SHOCK!
    SOUND SHOCK!

Funny you mention Ray,

He also worked on DNAction/Cybernauts by Accolade and still has some of the old art assets but are on weird formats. We are looking to get the IP so he has been very helpful about available assets.

Quote Originally Posted by LinkueiBR View Post

"Tiled matte animation
    from the Lord of the Rings"
    YOU SHALL NOT PASS....the sprite limit

Would be great to play this.
    Last edited by Qjimbo; 02-12-2015 at 07:24 PM.

Raging in the Streets goldenband's Avatar

Do we have any evidence that actual game code exists (or existed) for LOTR? We're talking as if a playable ROM is out there somewhere, but there are tons of games where the art/graphic assets were all that was ever completed, e.g. Ultimate MK3 for 3DO.

I wonder what Odysseus could be. As discussed on SA, two of those mysterious-sounding games on the poster became Crue Ball and Desert Strike, but no idea on our Greek colleague.

BTW I liked the Lord of the Rings SNES game -- my wife and I spent a couple pleasant afternoons playing through it. Not saying it's a good game, and it butchers the source material in several ways, but it's got a gorgeous soundtrack (top 5 on the system) and five-player support.

It's a hell of a lot better than the closest Genesis equivalent, Battlemaster, which has many of the same faults, none of LOTR Vol. 1's virtues, and a who-o-o-o-ole lot of additional problems.

i think surely there's a code of the game to appear on a Poster of coming soon games

I discovered that also exist a Lord of the Rings made by Interplay (same developer from the SNES and DOS games) for the NES and was canceled in the same year of this poster witth EA coming soon games for the genny. It will be that the Interplay made the LOTR for the Genesis too?
    Last edited by LinkueiBR; 02-12-2015 at 09:19 PM.
    VISUAL SHOCK!
    SPEED SHOCK!
    SOUND SHOCK!

Thumbs up

Good Idea!!! Please do it, my engrish sux.

Someone has to find this game!!
    I saw your message and decided to send him an email tonight. If he replies with more information about the "Lord of the Rings", I will ask him for permission to post it here.
    http://i1054.photobucket.com/albums/s486/link2link2link/YUZOKOSHIROISAGODNEOSEEDEDITION.gif

i think surely there's a code of the game to appear on a Poster of coming soon games
    At least two of the games listed on that poster (Crue Ball and Desert Strike) came out over a year after the poster was released. That's a long time for game development in the 16 bit era. It's in EA's best interests to advertise as many games as possible to generate interest even if the games haven't left the preliminary design phase.

I have a feeling SOMETHING exists for the LotR game, though, since it doesn't make much sense to have an artist design game assets all by his lonesome self.

Quote Originally Posted by SEGA.GENESIS1989 View Post
    I saw your message and decided to send him an email tonight. If he replies with more information about the "Lord of the Rings", I will ask him for permission to post it here.
    he answered you?

Quote Originally Posted by JumpingRyle View Post
    At least two of the games listed on that poster (Crue Ball and Desert Strike) came out over a year after the poster was released. That's a long time for game development in the 16 bit era. It's in EA's best interests to advertise as many games as possible to generate interest even if the games haven't left the preliminary design phase.

I have a feeling SOMETHING exists for the LotR game, though, since it doesn't make much sense to have an artist design game assets all by his lonesome self.
    Exactly!!!
    VISUAL SHOCK!
    SPEED SHOCK!
    SOUND SHOCK!

Sweat

he answered you?
    Nope! Email was sent Feb 12! *shrugs*

Thread Information